Page 1 of 4
hi everyone! any ways im a massive fan of metallica , and i decided for my technology project at school to make a gibson explorer copy. but the trouble is i own two gibson les pauls but ive even touched an explorer so i was wondering if any1 has a
template and dimensions.

cheers lads
dsont do it - guitar build is waaayyy to hard for a school project - i've seen people do it and well not fail - just make crap guitars and get crap grades, so if i were you i wouldnt risk it. only do it if you're really really really know what you are doin. check the net - i'm sure some1 has done it b4 though
oh cool in that case it'd be awesome if you'd pot some pics while ur manufacturing it =) good luck
I'm still amazed at the age demographic of this forum... all you young whipper snappers are making some damn nice guitars in shop class.

Then again, I was making custom bicycle parts in machine shop when I was in school... I was selling them for a profit
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
that was the intention - i feel like an old fart considering most of you guys are either in highschool or just starting college... this summer will mark 10 years since i graduated HS lol. i just find it amazing that there are so many younger and well skilled craftsmen out there. keep up the good work guys!

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
guitarbuild.com has cad ones for free i think, i know they have a few of the esp style ones
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
so ya did lol thanks all but i would prefer free templates lol not having to pay for em
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Can you ask a specific question please?

Buy this book

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock

Read this website

http://www.projectguitar.com/menu/tutorial.htm

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by Heat-13
dsont do it - guitar build is waaayyy to hard for a school project - i've seen people do it and well not fail - just make crap guitars and get crap grades, so if i were you i wouldnt risk it. only do it if you're really really really know what you are doin. check the net - i'm sure some1 has done it b4 though

Listen to this man.
If someone with a BC Rich thinks a guitar sucks...
That guitar is likely to bring upon the rapture with the strum of a extreemly out of tune chord.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Listen to this man.
If someone with a BC Rich thinks a guitar sucks...
That guitar is likely to bring upon the rapture with the strum of a extreemly out of tune chord.

oh man, you are totally right... the type of guitar a person owns completely determines the credibility of their forum posts!

in all seriousness, I'm sorry, but I can't in good faith allow people to post things like "don't even bother, you're too young, it'll turn out crappy" which is in essence what a couple of you are saying. have you guys even seen some of the school projects people have posted here? there's some incredible guitars being built by some young kids on this forum.

good luck with your build man! just have fun and regardless of the results you'll have something that means a lot to you simply because you built it.
^ + 1 on the condecending patronising people that think all us kids are retards

I mean take Callums double neck build, its a first time build that hes being doing since he was like 14 or something rediculous, and it remains one of the nicest builds to ever be posted here!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
i agree. that build blows my mind. it's essentially a professional luthier quality build coming from a teenager with some spare time. and he isn't the only high school age kid making some incredible stuff. i guess what bothers me most is the two people who entered this thread and told him not to build a guitar appear to have never tried to build one themselves (at least as far as i can tell on their profiles). if you do your research and take your time, you can end up with a great guitar. end of story.
dont worry blue mistro its not really offensive im just not gonna listen to em if any1 says dont build it cos ive built one guitar before its not as though im a noobie and ill have help from teachers and a qualified raf engineer for the elctrics side of it.

ty though lol
im thinking either ash korina or mahogany for the wood for pickups im gonna buy passive emgs or unless i hear really good things aboot the active ones i dunno. im kinda going for the james hetfield style explorer guitar. im also putting in my own logo as an inlay ta the tweth fret wich ive already designed
If you are going to go EMG get the ACTIVES, not the passives.

There are much better passive pups out there than EMGs

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
It takes ONE 9v battery for the actives...

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
like once a year?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
really oh man think i might just have to get the james hetfield pairing
im a metallica fan ya see im clinically obsessed with em ive learn bout 40 of there songs so far and my tone really is distortion so ya can see why im building an explorer
81/60 is Hetfields setup if I remember correctly?

If I were you I'd definitely try this, but not without someone helping me...
You're going to need the tools and work place to build it and most of the tools are 100x easier to use with 2 people.

Also i'd invest some money in getting a good guitar plan
http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com do very good ones and they're very helpful with working out what you want and they ask all the right questions.

Lurk around the forums and make yourself a checklist of what you'll need too, it'll make things easier down the track.

Good luck!
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
ya it is 81/60 setup aint sure which is which but im gonna be planning for aboiut 6 months before i build this cos ya need to make a portfolio of it
6 months? i've already nearly made my product design project in 4. Deadlines 2 weeks from now or thereabouts.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Absent Mind
^ + 1 on the condecending patronising people that think all us kids are retards

I mean take Callums double neck build, its a first time build that hes being doing since he was like 14 or something rediculous, and it remains one of the nicest builds to ever be posted here!

that's what eddie was about to say. He's doing up a car now too!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
i love explorers (even though i'm far from a metalhead), post some pictures some time!
Quote by rednwhiteblues
oh man, you are totally right... the type of guitar a person owns completely determines the credibility of their forum posts!

in all seriousness, I'm sorry, but I can't in good faith allow people to post things like "don't even bother, you're too young, it'll turn out crappy" which is in essence what a couple of you are saying. have you guys even seen some of the school projects people have posted here? there's some incredible guitars being built by some young kids on this forum.

good luck with your build man! just have fun and regardless of the results you'll have something that means a lot to you simply because you built it.

like i said before. it's amazing what these damn kids are doing

Page 1 of 4