Hey guys,

Im wanting to buy a Toneport GX but had some questions first. Does it allow you to interface with Audacity and record layered tracks? Also, does it just play through your PC speakers or what? Musicians friend has it on sale for 50 bucks, which is ridiculously less than before. What do you guys think about this thing? Right now I have nothing that allows me to record my guitar and it seems like this is better than nothing and seems quite cool. Please dont make comments if youve never used it. Thanks guys.
its pretty good, you need seperate speakers though, i just got some cheap ones from a computer shop.
i also use audacity to record, theres a recordin in my profile that i did when i first got it
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Cool. Sounds good. Anyone else? Also, I was wondering if its possible to plug in a keyboard and microphone into this too?
Quote by Meatball200
^ No, but what reason would you want that for anyway? Might be able to suggest an alternative..

EDIT: Response to the keyboard / mouse question

ummmmmmmmm..... I said keyboard and MICROPHONE.... As in a electric piano and a microphone.
Quote by labria86
Cool. Sounds good. Anyone else? Also, I was wondering if its possible to plug in a keyboard and microphone into this too?

it's main purpose is for guitar, bass, and vocals. as for the keyboard, im not sure. if you can hook it up to the TonePort its worth a shot, i've never tried it.

as for sound quality, the cleans and effects are absolutely AMAZING, the high-gain stuff....not so much.

so if you're aiming for a crushing death metal distortion, i would look elsewere.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
it's main purpose is for guitar, bass, and vocals. as for the keyboard, im not sure. if you can hook it up to the TonePort its worth a shot, i've never tried it.

as for sound quality, the cleans and effects are absolutely AMAZING, the high-gain stuff....not so much.

so if you're aiming for a crushing death metal distortion, i would look elsewere.

More of a Coheed sound. Think thatll be ok? They can be heavy sometimes, but not death metal funny. Does the sound travel out of your speakers simultaneously with playing? Is it hard to interface with audacity?
Last edited by labria86 at Apr 18, 2008,
i'm pretty sure you can, because they're not that heavy.
if you can tweak the Parametric EQ, i'm pretty sure you'll get a good sound.
it's a pain setting up everything.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by labria86
More of a Coheed sound. Think thatll be ok? They can be heavy sometimes, but not death metal funny. Does the sound travel out of your speakers simultaneously with playing? Is it hard to interface with audacity?

your speakers act just like the one(s) in your amp, all you have to do is disconnect the speakers to your computer and stick it in the headphone jack on the back of the GX.

using Audacity with the GX is just like using it with anything else, you'll have to set up your sound card on your computer so that Audacity will be able to pick up the sound but other than that, you press record and play, thats it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Can someone tell me how to do that, cause Im probably gonna buy it. By the way, these are the speakers i have on my pc, but just the left and right are currently hooked up. Am I gonna have to unplug it from the toneport and back into my PC everytime i want to listen to stuff from my PC?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOGITECH-X-530-6-PC-5-1-70W-SPEAKER-SYSTEM-VOLUME_W0QQitemZ190214165553QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will that work?
Quote by labria86
Can someone tell me how to do that, cause Im probably gonna buy it. By the way, these are the speakers i have on my pc, but just the left and right are currently hooked up. Am I gonna have to unplug it from the toneport and back into my PC everytime i want to listen to stuff from my PC?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOGITECH-X-530-6-PC-5-1-70W-SPEAKER-SYSTEM-VOLUME_W0QQitemZ190214165553QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will that work?

no, you can still listen to stuff off of your PC with your speakers plugged into the TonePort. i did it, but there is volume change, you dont get as loud, but it can be done.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Just plug it into the headphones output on your keyboard.
That's what I did.
Quote by LazySandman
f

the time has come (lol, get it?)

Gabel istheshit!
(But I is moar shitz!)
Quote by labria86
Hey guys,

Im wanting to buy a Toneport GX but had some questions first. Does it allow you to interface with Audacity and record layered tracks? Also, does it just play through your PC speakers or what? Musicians friend has it on sale for 50 bucks, which is ridiculously less than before. What do you guys think about this thing? Right now I have nothing that allows me to record my guitar and it seems like this is better than nothing and seems quite cool. Please dont make comments if youve never used it. Thanks guys.

The GX is a fair little unit but I suggest getting Amplitube 2 instead of using Gearbox.
You can use Audacity with it but Reaper is better to start with and learn IMO because you can do a heck of a lot more with this program.

You will need to hook your speakers to the monitor output jack at the back of the Toneport so you dont monitor with latency which will really mess with you when layering.

$50 is a nice deal, I would not pay anything more than this for that little interface since its only got one input.

if you get an XLR - TRS adapter you can run a dynamic mic into this interface. Be aware that the SM57 isnt a good choice for this setup since it needs a lot of gain for vocals and the preamp in the Toneports are not great..a little too noisy to my ear.

You can run a keyboard into this interface but youll want to bypass gearbox with the power shaped button in the top right of the window.

Be aware that vista drivers will crash very often on you with the Toneports. Check out my review of the UX1 in the R&R section which is where this should be...
Thanks man. Very helpful. I think ill stick with getting it and it should suffice for what I want for now. Also, can I record things at high quality and put them on CD with Audacity/Reaper? Also, what kind of mic SHOULD I get? Sorry for asking so many questions, I actually know a lot about electronics and computers, but im more of a hands on person so I couldn't answer my own questions just by reading.
Quote by labria86
Thanks man. Very helpful. I think ill stick with getting it and it should suffice for what I want for now. Also, can I record things at high quality and put them on CD with Audacity/Reaper? Also, what kind of mic SHOULD I get? Sorry for asking so many questions, I actually know a lot about electronics and computers, but im more of a hands on person so I couldn't answer my own questions just by reading.

no, you're not going to get high quality out of Audacity or Reaper.
you would have to get a better recording software like Cakewalk or Sonar, and mess the **** with it.

watch this video, this is the video that made me buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-A729GML6k

it is possible to get high quality stuff out of the toneport but you have to know how to mix it well using programs other than Audactiy or Reaper.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I suggest reaper since I feel its a much better program to work with but either will be able to make a nice quality CD with your interface.

As for mics, you have to get one for what you are recording. Theres really no "do all" type mic out there...

I use the MXL 990/991 a lot in my studio, the LDC is great for vocals and I use the SDC as a shotgun for videos.

see these two links:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/microphones_for_the_home_studio.htm
http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=7f94fbc80aad07637092e3c156691bc0

For pref. settings in audacity or Reaper you will want to go into the preferences (Ctrl + P) and go into the settings where you see the recording (in) and playback (out) devices. Set the in and out to your toneport, plug your PC speakers into the back of the toneport (1/8" jack) and you should be set to go. If you start with Reaper is is hard to get going but well worth it in the end. If you need help go to the Reaper message board or read though the help manual in the program.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 18, 2008,