Ive very new to guitar playing considering I have only been playing for about a week. I realize that it requires good hand eye coordination of the fingers. I also know that in order for you to really develope any speed you have got to be able to play with feeling and not sight. That guitar must become an extension of your body which means many things must become automatic. Well the first step I found in doing that was to learn to pick based on feel and not on sight. I,ve experimented with this abit and found that it's possible to feel how much your albow needs to bend in order to attack the different strings and to develope good wrist action so that your able to strike the correct number of strings to play a paticular cord. Practice hitting the individual strings and feel(NOT SEE) the angle of your elbow. Also feel how much wrist action it takes to strike the required number of strings. Eventually this will become automatic so you dont even have to rely on your feelings so to speak but we all have to start somewhere right?
I am sry I did not mean to offend anyone. That was not my attention at all I can assure you. I simply found a way that makes it easier for me to sense where my pick is so that I do not have to constantly keep watch over my picking. I am sorry I was not more clear in my post. It is hard to always come up with the right words to decribe something. What I was trying to explain was that only your forearm should move which changes the angle between the forearm and arm. I was not implying that you should move your elbow at all for that would be very ackward and would indeed kill all your speed. The only thing that I personally feel should be moving is your forearm with very little wrist action. I hope this clears up some confusion cause I certainly do not want to start bad habbits for beginners as I myself am a beginner. Once agian I apolagize.
You will need to look at what you're hitting at first... but eventually your body will fit into a comfortable position, and will get into habits, so you will know where each string is.

An example of this is that I learned everything sitting down, now when I play standing up my playing is a lot more messy. You just need to practice.
Actually, the general idea is to play with as little movement as possible. Rather then moving your wrist or forearm, whenever possible you should be trying to use the muscles in your fingers to pick.

As far as getting used to where the strings are, that just comes with time. It's like anything else that requires your hands. When you first started typing on a keyboard, I bet you were looking down every 2 seconds and only using two fingers. Then, after a few months, suddenly you can type without even a glance downwards. It's the same principle. Through repeated motion, your muscles start to "remember" where everything is.

Like Calabur said, it just takes practice.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Did you mean "How to pick out OF sight"?

As in "How to pick accurately without looking at the strings?"

English ftw
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Basically, after you have memorised the fretboard and can feel where the notes are, yes you'll be able to play without looking. No need to go all deep and emotional on it buddy, thats just the way things are
just practise in the beginning i had to look at my FB too but now i only do when quick soloing
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I hope you realize that no one's going to take you seriously since you've only been playing guitar for a WEEK! Get a couple years under your belt, then perhaps you'll be in a better position to give out advice. Until then, you need to do the learning, and ask questions, not the other way around.
I do understand what you are attempting to get across, so don't get me wrong there. It's just that you are very new to guitaring and have a long long way to go.
Thanks everyone for the good advice which has helped me considerably in my picking. LeftyDave you are right in that I need to be asking the questions instead of giving the answers and I am totally cool with that. Matsols I understand where you were coming from now and so its all cool
Quote by LeftyDave
I hope you realize that no one's going to take you seriously since you've only been playing guitar for a WEEK! Get a couple years under your belt, then perhaps you'll be in a better position to give out advice. Until then, you need to do the learning, and ask questions, not the other way around.
I do understand what you are attempting to get across, so don't get me wrong there. It's just that you are very new to guitaring and have a long long way to go.

Very well said Dave.
For me I look at the guitar a lot, but then again, I'm not a lead singer.
The times I usually don't are when I'm playing simple chords.