I'm considering buying this Squier strat from my friend who never plays. Real cheap, just to learn with. That is, if i can get it playable. The intonation was way off (sharp at 12th fret)

So I adjusted it with the screws at the bridge. On all strings but the high e, screwing it all the way down still results in a sharp 12th fret.

I also need to adjust the action down, because the strings are way off the fretboard. It seems that would make some of the higher notes sharp as well. Should I try again after I adjust the action? (right now I don't have an allen wrench small enough)

any other tips? the neck/truss rod seem fine.
Quote by feces42
I'm considering buying this Squier strat from my friend who never plays. Real cheap, just to learn with. That is, if i can get it playable. The intonation was way off (sharp at 12th fret)

So I adjusted it with the screws at the bridge. On all strings but the high e, screwing it all the way down still results in a sharp 12th fret.

I also need to adjust the action down, because the strings are way off the fretboard. It seems that would make some of the higher notes sharp as well. Should I try again after I adjust the action? (right now I don't have an allen wrench small enough)

any other tips? the neck/truss rod seem fine.

All the way down?

You should be lengthening the strings (bringing the saddles further away from the nut).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
All the way down?

You should be lengthening the strings (bringing the saddles further away from the nut).

Yes, all the way down toward the bridge and away from the nut.
Ah, ok. Just sounded like you were lowering it instead of lengthening it....

Have you tried new strings?
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
nope, but the strings are in pretty good shape. will it make much of a difference? I mean, if it did, you would have to mess with intonation every time you change strings.
I guess it would depend on how well he took care of his guitar.

New strings can sound much different than old strings depending on the condition of the strings. Usually, if you use the same size strings, intonation isn't much of an issue.

Hmmm... thinking on this one...