So today the principal of my school asked a friend and I if we could perform a song at the talent show on Friday because they have a bunch of open slots that need to be filled and there are hardly any acts this year. My friend and I talked it over and because we don't have much time we were thinking about doing something we already know but the only thing we could come up with was this http://youtube.com/watch?v=ryLqfNwSSFE . He has a djembe and I play guitar and sing. My question is how much trouble do you think we would get into if we did do that song? It obviously has drug related content (even though its not as straight forward as some stuff) but is there anything that the school could do about it or does the constitution pretty much protect it?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
"...or does the constitution pretty much protect it?"

You lose some of your rights depending on hwere you are

Ex: You can't yell "FIRE!!!" in a movie theathre when there is no fire...

As for school I dunno but you can't say whatever you want.

EDIT: why did I speel theater like that

EDIT: spell...........^
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at Apr 18, 2008,
The constitution isn't going to protect ****. Depending on how stuck up your school is, you might not get to play it. My friend's band was going to play Raining blood for the talent show, but then this one teacher who was a devout christian forced them to stop. So they changed the lyrics to ones that protested for freedom of speech.
The teacher told us that metalheads would grow up to become rapists and child molesters and devil worshippers.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
The Constitution states that the United States Government will not oppress free speech. Schools and other organizations are free to do so, however.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by Slaytanic6606
The teacher told us that metalheads would grow up to become rapists and child molesters and devil worshippers.
Well, I'm not a rapist or a child molester...

Are you sure she didn't mean Catholics in Seminary?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

If it isntly directly saying spark your bowl or blaze a fat blunt, then go for it. If it does just change it up a bit they cant do anything. Make sure you wear a t-shirt with a big green hemp leaf right on the front.
cheers betch
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Well, I'm not a rapist or a child molester...

Are you sure she didn't mean Catholics in Seminary?

I'm both. Theory proven.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Play it because for the awesomeness of the djembe(sp?).
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by shut_up_n00b
Play it because for the awesomeness of the djembe(sp?).

We think we might just go for it. The way I see it the worst thing they could do is stop us mid song (meaning they would have to literally go up and take the guitar from my hands because were doing it 100% acoustic meaning they can't just cut the power) and I know for a fact if we did get suspended or something our parents would be pissed at the school and not us.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Ha me my band want to play our talent show (I'm trying to get our ASB to organize a battle of the bands)
And there are a couple words in my lyrics that are not "school appropriate"
So we're going to do the obvious course of action:
Change the lyrics in the rehearsal (for the teachers in charge)
Then sing the actual lyrics for the show
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Once you step into school, you surrender some of your rights to get an education. This means that they can censor whatever they want, and you can't do anything about it without getting scathed. Prepare for some detentions/suspensions.
Quote by konkordmusk
The Constitution states that the United States Government will not oppress free speech. Schools and other organizations are free to do so, however.

So public schools aren't a government institution?
umm....i wouldn't play it. thats a cool song but thats pretty strait forward.
That would kinda be like saying: I smoke pot! On stage infront of your teacher,principal and probably a few parents. Great song though.
no you can't get away with that, if you try to bring something like that to court chances are the Judge will laugh at you and dismiss your case.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no you can't get away with that, if you try to bring something like that to court chances are the Judge will laugh at you and dismiss your case.

um

why would you bring it to court?

the school says no,
you don't do it
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by mrwaffles
Play the damn song anyway. It's really catchy.

It makes me feel warm. It´s the kinda song i would listen to on a warm summer afternoon with a grou of friends.
Quote by sneyob
um

why would you bring it to court?

the school says no,
you don't do it

some people are just stupid like that, and since he's talking about freedom of speech and whatnot...
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you can't get away with it constitutionally, but it depends on your school
at my place they'd let us
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

I'm not talking about going to court over it that would cost too much and solve nothing BUT there have been far stupider cases than this that went through fine. And like someone said it would be like going up in front of everyone and saying "I smoke pot" if that were to happen no one would even care so why make such a big deal about this song then?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Quote by sneyob
Ha me my band want to play our talent show (I'm trying to get our ASB to organize a battle of the bands)
And there are a couple words in my lyrics that are not "school appropriate"
So we're going to do the obvious course of action:
Change the lyrics in the rehearsal (for the teachers in charge)
Then sing the actual lyrics for the show

that's awesome, dude...VIDEO TAPE IT!!!! the reactions on their faces are going to be PRICELESS!
O O

___