These movies really do scare the hell out of me, like not sleep for a few nights and then remember is months later and not sleep again scary. As North Americans have grown tired of their brand of horror movies is this the same with Asians and their horror films?
WHEN CALCULUS ATTACKS

EDIT: haha
NOPE.
Last edited by charvel_man at Apr 18, 2008,
I dunno bout all that, but this trend of remaking Japanese horror flicks here is kind of annoying. I guess we're just out of ideas.
Quote by glendoom
I dunno bout all that, but this trend of remaking Japanese horror flicks here is kind of annoying. I guess we're just out of ideas.

Yeah, that new film with Jessica Alba 'The Eye' looks like a bit of a jap-horror rip off. Lets be honest though, its Jessica Alba. I will be going to see it.

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Yeah, that new film with Jessica Alba 'The Eye' looks like a bit of a jap-horror rip off. Lets be honest though, its Jessica Alba. I will be going to see it.

oh hell yeah, jap-rip or not. it's general principle.
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

"the eye" is a remake of a japanese horror film not a rip off.
A Western "remake" of a japanese horror film sure sounds like a rip off...
Ju-On: The Grudge.

Oh my god, that was the scariest thing I have ever seen. I had to sleep with the light on a couple of nights.

*Shivers*
Quote by Rooster666
"the eye" is a remake of a japanese horror film not a rip off.

Woops, I should do my research
Cheers for the heads up. Giggedy.

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

jesus goddamn i'll never forget the hype when the Ring came out; half my school was like "UHMGUH i was scurrred"

maybe it was just me but yeah. it was a stupid little surge of stupid.
The Ring and The Grudge (the only Japanese remakes I really know of) both sucked a lot. I regretted watching both, total waste of time.
what I was trying to ask is that, like the majority in North America is now unafraid of Jason and Freddy, are Asian people unaffected by those ominous blank staring little girls that creep around every so scarily?
I recommend watching A Tale Of Two Sisters.

Not really a horror, but it's creepy as fuck, and a brilliant film.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by MarioBlaster17
what I was trying to ask is that, like the majority in North America is now unafraid of Jason and Freddy, are Asian people unaffected by those ominous blank staring little girls that creep around every so scarily?

Yeah I don't see why not, I mean when Halloween came out a lot of people were freaked out by a lurking man in a mask with a knife so I guess a croaking ghost zombie chick might scare people for a little while. Eventually it'll just grow on them and become less and less frightening over time after a million sequels and remakes.

Wishing Stairs is a weird Korean film, but worth watching just to have another horror piece under the belt.
Quote by MarioBlaster17
Seen it, ya it was pretty scary, I believe it was Korean

Yeah, it was Korean. Have you seen Oldboy?

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
Quote by MarioBlaster17
did you even read what i typed

Seriously, and also, I wouldn't know. Personally, I found "The Ring" to be crap.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Vince Noir
Yeah, it was Korean. Have you seen Oldboy?

Ya, that's not exactly horror though
Quote by MarioBlaster17
Ya, that's not exactly horror though

I never said it was. I just can't think of many 'proper' horrors that are much good. Other than Audition, and I don't really think of that as a horror.

Quote by Kumanji
Takashi Miike!! DUU IT!
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Western remakes of films tend to make them more "guy jumps out of the shadows scary", whereas the originals tend to be psychological.

Case and Point is Dark Water.

Original = Excellent piece of filmography, Remake = Terrible.

The Western Audience has been conditioned to not think abut anything while watching a film, so a "Boo!" moment makes you scared, whereas some of the better films that you actually need to pay attention to come from the east, like Oldboy, Battle Royale, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance etc. More than likely they are desensitised to it in the same way we are to western concepts of scary.