so after 15 years of off and on guitar playing, i buy a bass and start playing with some of my buds. should be easy enough i think. well, not exactly. i feel like a retarded kid trying to fly a kite with no wind! my right hand is very, very stupid and i keep missing notes on runs. so i just keep up with chord changes (like some noob). the more i practice, the better my left hand gets. but i'm not getting much better with my right (i never could finger-pick on a six string). so could i get some advice on right hand technique from some of you pros? i know to keep practicing. but any advice will be appreciated.
My two cents (and lessons learned, since I was in the same boat 2 years ago)

Make sure your right hand is perpendicular to the strings. If you travis picked or played classical guitar your tendency is going to be to hold it more parallel. And if you played pick style you are going to want to put your hand in that guitar position as well. Practice in front of a mirror and self correct until you get it.

Make sure you alternate your fingers religiously.
Your a guitarist right? Thought about using a pick? If not, look above, can't really say much more
Quote by |Heretic|
Your a guitarist right? Thought about using a pick? If not, look above, can't really say much more

knew that was coming as soon as i finished typing...
i find it easier for me to just use a pick on bass, since youre a guitarist you should start out by using a pick, just so you dont get discouraged, but while you start warming up(well that is if you do have a sort of warm up routine) play them first with a pick and then do it with your fingers. thats helped me alot.
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
I think for now you should stick with playing fingers. If you're even a quasisemidemihemisemi bit serious about bass I'd just take a seat and play all the old, lovable scales, up and down, up and down and again. Do it SLOWLY. Pay special attention to your right hand as you do it and try and keep them consistent and alternating. Practise makes perfect.
Quote by systematic_nois
i find it easier for me to just use a pick on bass, since youre a guitarist you should start out by using a pick, just so you dont get discouraged, but while you start warming up(well that is if you do have a sort of warm up routine) play them first with a pick and then do it with your fingers. thats helped me alot.

Now I am going to offer up the flip side. I wouldn't be so hasty to grab for the pick. Its the familiar and as humans, we always find comfort in the familiar.

My advice is to get your finger style down and then go back to the pick if you want. That way you won't lean on the familiar and will work towards getting the harder work of learning finger style properly by getting out of your comfort zone.

Again, just my 2 cents from personal experience.
thanks everybody. i didn't use a pick at all tonite at practice. and it wasn't too bad. i found a metronome site that i'm gonna try. i'm amazed at myself for taking this so serious.
Quote by khalilizad
thanks everybody. i didn't use a pick at all tonite at practice.

There's nothing at all wrong with using one.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^"I got blisters on my fingers."- Ringo Starr (a real person, who said that first).

This is true... but Ya know what? Stewie is funnier then ringo... so I win!!!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^"I got blisters on my fingers."- Ringo Starr (a real person, who said that first).

Wasn't Ringo Starr the drummer for the Beatles? Why would he say such a thing?
Quote by KwikKopy
Wasn't Ringo Starr the drummer for the Beatles? Why would he say such a thing?

Cause the Beatles basically could basically all trade instruments when ever they felt like it and it would still sound fine.
Ringo played drums on that song. The story is that Helter Skelter was written as a loud rock song in the mode of the Who. The cut that made the recording was something like the 17th take of the song, at which point Ringo Starr had been wailing pretty hard on the drums to the stage where, yes, he had blisters on his fingers. The phrase he shouted was his frustration at the multiple takes of the song.

Yes, I have tonnes of useful facts like this roaming in my brain.
Quote by WickedBeast666
This is true... but Ya know what? Stewie is funnier then ringo... so I win!!!

Also a more talented drummer.

ooooooh.

If you can use fingers, good. If you want to use a pick, also good. However (and sadly), there are bassists who won't take you seriously if you can't play with fingers, so it's good to at least know how, so they won't take you as "not serious". Plus, an arsenal of tonal variety is better than just having one sound.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?