Ok so i have an ESP LTD B-155 5-string bass and am trying to figure out
which set of strings would be better.

Ernie Ball 2836 Regular Slinky 5-String Bass Strings(.045//065/.080/.100/.130
or

D'Addario EXL1605 XL 5-String Nickel Wound Bass Strings (Medium, Long)(.050/.070/.085/.105/.135

any advice would be great.
Thanks,

Mike .n
I'm guessing most people will recommend the Slinkies. I would, but I've never played D'Addarios before, so I can't give an honest answer. The D'Addarios are heavier, so take that into account. The Slinkies will be brighter, I'm fairly sure.

Neither is better, per say, but it's up to you to find which you like.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I use Dadario strings and mine have a more brighter sound then the Rotosound strings i use to have. Next swap im changing back to rotosound.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
what about "slick"strings.I've always heard that slicks aretheway to go.
I'm just tired of layingout a ton of money on strings.
Im ot familiar with the term Slick strings
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I'm not too keen on Ernie Ball bass strings, but I have d'Addarios on both my Ibanez basses and am very happy with the sound.
Might wanna make sure that the bass isn't 35" scale length, and those are if it is.

I'd go Slinkies.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I have D'Addario Semi-flatwouds on my bass, and I love them. Nice, warm tone. I had slinky's before that and they sounded just as good, but they were a bit brighter. I'm guessing that if the semi-flats are just a little mellower than the slinkies were, then the regular d'addarios are going to be brighter. Your call. I'd upgrade the slinkes though...

(for those who don't know, semi-flatwounds are basically roundwound strings that have been ground smooth)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 18, 2008,
Haven't tried the D'Addorio strings, but the EB strings I've tried have all felt really uncomfortable and gave me a poop sound. Given that, I'd suggest the D'Addorios, but I've never played with them.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I like D'addarios - especially now since they cost a lot less than Rotosounds here. Good dependable strings that hold their sound for a while (after loosing that 'fresh string' tone)
I've never tried Ernie Ball bass strings.
I have not tried Ernie Ball strings, but i have D`Addario strings on my bass. I love them! You should really know what sound you would like from your strings before you buy. I guess Ernie Ball strings are great too!