Well, once I get enough cash to get an ic-400 off ebay or something. I want to custom paint mine like Daron Malakians old sig

http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/o/ozzfest_060307_comp/WEb_Ready/32.jpg

how much do you guys think that would cost?

AND what places I should go to get it done? I have no idea if like guitar center, or big dudes does them or something, where exactly DO you get custom jobs?

thanks in advance!

~GxT
If you've got a Guitar World magazine handy, there are usually adverts for places that do custom paint jobs in it. Or you could Google it.
Quote by blue_strat
If you've got a Guitar World magazine handy, there are usually adverts for places that do custom paint jobs in it. Or you could Google it.

well..unfortunately I dont have a guitar world magazine x_x. Only the most recent zzounds one.

I cant really find any place from google that I see that does them either
still needing help.

I really want an estimated cost of that EXACT (or very very close) paint job for an iceman.

and a place that actually does custom jobs.
I think Warmoth does custom paint, but at a pretty steep price. You might need to mail them and get a quote.

EDIT: Expect the price to be more than $300
EDIT2: Oops Warmoth isn't taking any custom job at the moment... they're too busy.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Last edited by SQHero at Apr 18, 2008,
thanks, ill check that out.

Whats your guy's whole opinion on the auto shop type thing?

Ive heared a ton of people say that I should try going to a car paint shop place around where I Live, they say its pretty cheap (150-250$)

One of my buds got his painted like darons, a motorcycle shop guy did it for him for 200 pounds I think?

turned out pretty good too.
It's a good idea but auto shop people generally aren't too careful with your guitar... especially if it's basswood...
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by SQHero
It's a good idea but auto shop people generally aren't too careful with your guitar... especially if it's basswood...

eh, well I just checked the warmoth place, they said they dont accept any other parts other than their bodys or their guitars.
expect up to 500 dollars, i wanted to do a custom paint job on my strat, and when they told me like 500, i said **** it, i'll just get a new guitar.
Quote by this&that
expect up to 500 dollars, i wanted to do a custom paint job on my strat, and when they told me like 500, i said **** it, i'll just get a new guitar.

where exactly did you go to ask for a custom job?
Check out www.mikelearn.com or http://www.cpspaint.com/.
Mike Learn does the paint jobs for the Jackson custom shop, and he's simply amazing.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Can't say I know of any specific places (I can only vouch for local luthiers, not much use to you), but do keep this in mind:

You get what you pay for. If someone only wants a hundred to re-finish your guitar, chances are it's going to be a crap job. If you want it to be done well, you're usually looking at spending 400+, depending on the exact nature of the guitar, and the specifics of how you want it finished. Of course more elaborate designs will cost more, and some guitars are cheaper to be refinished than others; a Fender Strat for example, a common shape and with a bolt-on neck, will be cheaper to have re-finished than some obscure shaped, through-neck guitar. Depending on what guitar it's been and what finish I wanted, I've been quoted as much as £1,200 for a new lick of paint.

Remember, if it's cheap, there's a reason for it.
Quote by bokuho
Can't say I know of any specific places (I can only vouch for local luthiers, not much use to you), but do keep this in mind:

You get what you pay for. If someone only wants a hundred to re-finish your guitar, chances are it's going to be a crap job. If you want it to be done well, you're usually looking at spending 400+, depending on the exact nature of the guitar, and the specifics of how you want it finished. Of course more elaborate designs will cost more, and some guitars are cheaper to be refinished than others; a Fender Strat for example, a common shape and with a bolt-on neck, will be cheaper to have re-finished than some obscure shaped, through-neck guitar. Depending on what guitar it's been and what finish I wanted, I've been quoted as much as £1,200 for a new lick of paint.

Remember, if it's cheap, there's a reason for it.

thanks for the advice.

Once again, do you guys think I should take it to a car paint shop? or take it to a specific airbrush artist? or even an art school?
It depends. How well do you want the job to be done? I won't touch a custom paint job for less than $500. If I think you are going to be a PITA, more.
Not meaning to steal the thread, but I'm also looking for a good place to get my guitar refinished. I have a Jackson RR1 in metallic black, and I'm looking to get it re-finished to the Original colors that Randy had on his forst custom made Jackson. Excluding the gold hardware and tremelo I'd have to get, how much money would you guys say a job like this would take?

From this :

to this:

I'd leave the inlays as sharkinfs and the Jackson logo on the head stock as MOP, so those wouldnt be touched. I'd also remove the pickguard (but leave the knobs and switch where they are now), and buy a gold Floyd and gold hardware/tunings pegs. Excluding the hardware and tremelo though, how much would that paint job cost to be done?
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
For a custom paint job like the one in the picture expect to pay good money. That will be alot of work do. So no 500 bucks or more is not out of line. GOOD paint work costs money. A body shop wont be able to do something like that most wont paint guitars at all and the ones that do arent going to do much more than solid colors or stripes. Everything cant be done for maaco prices.
If you want good work get a good painter (airbrush artists better choice). It will take some cash. If you end up doing it yourself practice on scrap wood untill you feel comforable with your own instrument. If your planning on painting yourself never pull the tape off before the paint is dry(It was a nightmare).This includes tacky. So if you have little to no time put painting off for a later date. In other words don't rush.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by Retro Rocker
You bastard. I love those guitars

$660US with shipping on ebay! Excellent condition too, and it came with the hardshell case.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Gear Building and Customizing forum. Ask them.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Unfortunatly, I think I'm gonna hijack this thread as well. I was thinking about getting a custon paint job not for my gutiar, but for the pickguard, knobs and pickups on my strat. I'm not sure exactly what I want, but I want it to be pretty psychadelic (sp?) and colorful, to contrast my white strat. How much do you guys think this job would run me?
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT