So I wanna learn some cool heavy metal riffs.....what songs?

So I wanna learn some really cool heavy metal (no metalica or megadeth 80/90 thrash) stuff. Just some cool riffs. can any of you recommend some really cool riffs.
the trooper - iron maiden
hallowed be thy name - iron maiden

or if u want HEAVY riffs

clenching the fists of dissent - machine head
the dark eternal night - dream theater (7 string though possible on 6)
Taste My... - chimaira
I - meshuggah
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Mastodon has a lot of cool riffs, like in Iron Tusk and Seabeast. Crystal Skull is cool, and so is Hand of Stone. Freya and Iron Swan by The Sword are both full of heavy riffs, and sound a little like Black Sabbath.
Smoke On The Water - heaviest riff ever made. Quite possibly the most difficult for some players, as well.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
and justice for all
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Master of Puppets- Metallica
Or anything by metallica..

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
In Your Face - Children of Bodom

'Nuff said
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by soundgarden6742
laid to rest by lamb of god

Or you can just play Testament's Into the Pit. A much better song than this blatant rip-off.

Learn these:
Arsis-The Promise of Never, Seven Whispers Fell Silent, Maddening Disdain, The Face Of My Innocence.
At The Gates-Blinded By Fear, Slaughter of The Soul, Cold, Under A Serpent Sun, and The Burning Darkness.
Amon Amarth-Once Sent From the Golden Hall (intro riff is awesome) Pursuit of Vikings, Valhalla Awaits Me.
The Absence-A Breath Beneath, From Your Grave
In Flames-Ordinary Story, Jotun, Gyroscope, Artifacts of The Black Rain, December Flower, Dead God In Me, Episode 666.
Immortal-Solarfall.
Dark Tranquillity-Hedon, Focus Shift, White Noise Black Silence, Punish My Heaven, Zodijackyl Light, Damage Done, Lost to Apathy.
Wintersun-Beyond The Dark Sun, Death and The Healing, Hell just learn the whole album (They only have one, so yeah).
Ensiferum-Iron, Windrider, Into Battle, Sword Chant, SLAYER OF LIGHT!!!
Children of Bodom-Downfall, Silent Night Bodom Night, Bed of Razors
Symphony X-Inferno (Unleash the Fire), Sea of Lies
Firewind-The Fire and the Fury
Arch Enemy-Dead Inside, Dead Bury Their Dead, Ravenous, The Immortal, Heart of Darkness, Dead Eyes See No Future,Machtskampf
Mors Principium Est-Two Steps Away, Parasites of Paradise,Finality, Cleansing Rain, Sinners Defeat, Altered State of Consciousness.
Kalmah-Dance of the water, Hades,Hero's to Us, Burbots Revenge, Time Takes Us All, To The Gallows, The Black Waltz.
Metallica-Damage Inc, Creeping Death
Megadeth-She-Wolf, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Tornado of Souls
Nevermore-My Acid Words, The River Dragon Has Come, Born, This Godless Endeavor
Sleep Terror-Probing Tranquility,Somnambulist Pedophile,Autoerotic Spy
Necrophagist-Pseudopathological Vivisection, StabWound, Epitaph.
Atheist-And The Psychic Saw
Pestilence-Chronic Infection
Psycroptic-Alpha Breed.
Cynic-Evolutionary Sleeper, Veil Of Maya, Celestial Voyage.
Eternal Tears of Sorrow-Lost Rune of Thunder.
Meshuggah-Combustion (I only know stuff off the newest album, but that song is awesome)
Norther-Death Unlimited.
Death-Spirit Crusher, Crystal Mountain, Suicide Machine, Lack of Comprehension, Pull The Plug, Bite The Pain, Story To Tell, Flesh And The Power it Holds, A Moment of Clarity, Painkiller (technically a Judas Priest cover, but whatever, still a good song). I definitely recommend Death, because their songs are awesome and they aren't that difficult.

I think these should hold you for now.
I sure hope I didn't make this for nothing, and that someone finds this list helpful.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Apr 18, 2008,
You can play Bleed by Meshuggah ****ing bomb ass riffs at first its simple but man it gets hard as soon as your wrist hurts...but im a bass player so yea still hard for me
Quote by The Virtuoso
Or you can just play Testament's Into the Pit. A much better song than this blatant rip-off.

Learn these:
Arsis-The Promise of Never, Seven Whispers Fell Silent, Maddening Disdain, The Face Of My Innocence.
At The Gates-Blinded By Fear, Slaughter of The Soul, Cold, Under A Serpent Sun, and The Burning Darkness.
Amon Amarth-Once Sent From the Golden Hall (intro riff is awesome) Pursuit of Vikings, Valhalla Awaits Me.
In Flames-Ordinary Story, Jotun, Gyroscope, Artifacts of The Black Rain, December Flower, Dead God In Me, Episode 666.
Immortal-Solarfall.
Dark Tranquillity-Hedon, Focus Shift, White Noise Black Silence, Punish My Heaven, Zodijackyl Light, Damage Done, Lost to Apathy.
Wintersun-Beyond The Dark Sun, Death and The Healing, Hell just learn the whole album (They only have one, so yeah).
Arch Enemy-Dead Inside, Dead Bury Their Dead, Ravenous, The Immortal, Heart of Darkness, Dead Eyes See No Future,Machtskampf
Mors Principium Est-Two Steps Away, Parasites of Paradise,Finality, Cleansing Rain, Sinners Defeat, Altered State of Consciousness.
Kalmah-Dance of the water, Hades,Hero's to Us, Burbots Revenge, Time Takes Us All, To The Gallows, The Black Waltz.
Psycroptic-Alpha Breed.
Meshuggah-Combustion (I only know stuff off the newest album, but that song is awesome)
Norther-Death Unlimited.
Death-Spirit Crusher, Crystal Mountain, Suicide Machine, Lack of Comprehension, Pull The Plug, Bite The Pain, Story To Tell, Flesh And The Power it Holds, A Moment of Clarity, Painkiller (technically a Judas Priest cover, but whatever, still a good song). I definitely recommend Death, because their songs are awesome and they aren't that difficult.

I sure hope I didn't make this for nothing, and that someone finds this list helpful.

I second this list and add to it:

Gojira-Backbone, From the Sky, The Heaviest Matter of the Universe, World to Come, To Sirius
Quo Vadis-Silence Calls the Storm
Agalloch-Not Unlike the Waves, Falling Snow, Dead Winter Days, In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Vehemence-She Never Noticed Me, The Last Fantasy of Christ, I Didn't Kill Her
Ahab-Old Thunder
Anaal Nathrakh-Der Holle Roche Kocht in Meinem Herzen, The Final Absolution, When the Lion Devours Both Dragon and Child, Pandemonic Hyperblast
Anata-Downard Spiral into Madness, The Great Juggler
Behemoth-Conquer All, Slaves Shall Serve, Sculpting the Throne ov Set, The Reign ov Shemsu-Hor, Chant for Eschaton 2000, Decade of Therion
Bathory-Shores In Flames, Baptised in Fire and Ice, A Fine Day to Die
Opeth-The Funeral Portrait, Face of Melinda, Deliverance, Master's Apprentices, To Bid You Farewell, The Lotus Eater (when tabs for it come out)
Daath-Subterfuge, Ovum, Cosmic Forge, From the Blind, Festival Mass Soulform
Disarmonia Mundi-Resurrection Code, Mindtricks, Nihilistic Overdrive, Liquid Wings, Process of Annihilation
Dissection-The Somberlain, Where Dead Angels Lie, Unhallowed
Melechesh-Rebirth of the Nemesis
Orden Ogan-To New Shores of Sadness, Winds of Vale, Farewell, Reality Lost
The Red Chord-Send the Death Storm, Black Santa, Upper Decker
Pelican-NightEndDay, Drought

I think our lists are just going to scare off the threadstarter.
Beginning riff to "Master's Apprentice" by Opeth.
Main riff for "Deliverance" by Opeth.
Chorus to "Serenity Painted Death" by Opeth.
The distorted part to "Face of Melinda" by Opeth.
Beginning riff to "Blinded by Fear" by At the Gates.
Beginning to "Spheres of Madness" by Decapitated.
Intro to "The Loss and Curse of Reverence" by Emperor.

Those are all some really cool metal riffs there.
Quote by Scourge441

Gojira-Backbone, From the Sky, The Heaviest Matter of the Universe, World to Come, To Sirius
Agalloch-Not Unlike the Waves, Falling Snow, Dead Winter Days, In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Ahab-Old Thunder
Anaal Nathrakh-Der Holle Roche Kocht in Meinem Herzen, The Final Absolution, When the Lion Devours Both Dragon and Child, Pandemonic Hyperblast
Behemoth-Conquer All, Slaves Shall Serve, Sculpting the Throne ov Set, The Reign ov Shemsu-Hor, Chant for Eschaton 2000, Decade of Therion
Opeth-The Funeral Portrait, Face of Melinda, Deliverance, Master's Apprentices, To Bid You Farewell, The Lotus Eater (when tabs for it come out)
Disarmonia Mundi-Resurrection Code, Mindtricks, Nihilistic Overdrive, Liquid Wings, Process of Annihilation

Lol, Yeah they probably will.

Perhaps we should make this the Cool Metal Riffs THREAD!!!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
August Burns Red, All That Remains, Demon Hunter has some good ones as well, Bullet for my Valentine, etc.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
^Bro, you crossed the line when you said Bullet For My Valentine.

Learn some early Cannibal Corpse like songs off "The Bleeding", or "Tomb of the Mutilated"
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
yeah excactly ^
Quote by Trefellin

He's been in the Pit so long, he's forgotten about television. His whole life is about pears, cats, Spartans and rape. So much so that the mind control tube has lost it's powers over him. It's sad really.
looking at your guitars try some ac dc for the sg and not knowing what pickups you have in the strat, try some motorhead or maiden
its not metal but with the artcore try some cult, like outlaw or something duffy does
Quote by Scourge441

Last 2 are mine, where can i find tabs for the 2nd two?
Dopethrone - Electric Wizard
Laid to Rest - Lamb of God
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
N.I.B - Black Sabbath
Sweet Leaf - Black Sabbath
A National Acrobat - Black Sabbath
Hourglass - Lamb of God
Praise the Lord (Opium of the Masses) - Dying Fetus
Skullf**ked - Dying Fetus

Most of those have some pretty heavy riffs, but a few are kind of hard to learn, mainly the Dying Fetus songs.
Dean Z-X Fund: $50 out of $200 (25%)

My Gear:
Guitar: Schecter C-1 Elite
Amp: B-52 ST-6012
Pedals/Other: BOSS Dynamic Wah, BOSS Metal Zone MT-2

Massive Failure
Quote by Amerikhastan
Well you said no Megadeth thrash stuff and thats as cool as you can get.

+1
Best band of all time: OPETH.
I love angela Gossow. do you?
Quote by Garret.
My friend found nudity on youtube the other day

that was definitely a highlight of my life
Quote by Scourge441

Ahab-Old Thunder

on the contrary my informed friend, i have actually saved everything that has been suggested. I will now look at some songs on youtube. If I like them...I will buy it on iTunes then try and learn them
Quote by mathman51
looking at your guitars try some ac dc for the sg and not knowing what pickups you have in the strat, try some motorhead or maiden

Maiden looks pretty nifty, but some of their riffs are kinda i dunno, thrashy. If anything I might look at some of their amazing acoustic parts the incorporate.
I'm using 500t's and 496r's in my SG....but AC/DC isn't that fun to me.
Quote by guitargod9208
on the contrary my informed friend, i have actually saved everything that has been suggested. I will now look at some songs on youtube. If I like them...I will buy it on iTunes then try and learn them

You better like my list, that thing took me like ten minutes!!!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso

Learn these:
Immortal-Solarfall.
Psycroptic-Alpha Breed.
Norther-Death Unlimited.

Lol can't believe you typed that all out. I doubt the topic creator is gonna wrap his head around that list
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas