Poll: Keep it or not? READ thread first.
Poll Options
View poll results: Keep it or not? READ thread first.
Keep Fender Bassman and your tone.
33 79%
Sell Bassman and get the Marshall's Slash uses or close to them.
9 21%
Voters: 42.
Page 1 of 2
SO, this past Christmas my great father got me a 1964 Blonde Fender Bassman with 2x12's (original cab and head nothing changed about it) And it is a great amp and I love it and I saved up and got road cases made for it and the head and they fit perfectly, here is were I need advise. I am not sure if I should keep the amp or sell it and buy a Marshall Vintage Modern or what ever Slash uses. I am really really really really digging the Tone Slash has and I think, "He plays through Marshall's and Marshall's alone. I will not be able to replicate his "tone" very well if I have a Fender amp..." Part of me says, "But your not Slash, your Benjamin you need to have a tone of your own and stick to it." Now I don't mean to brag but I think I have gotten pretty close to Slash's tone with my Gibson Les Paul's and my Fender Bassman. But I haven't got it "exactly" which I believe it is impossible to get it exactly.

But also it isn't just Slash that plays Marshall's that I love,

Slash
Steve Clark
Jimmy Page
Joe Perry
Doug Aldrich
Avril Lavinge's guitar player
Deryck Whibley (Sum 41)
Vivian Campbell
Jimi Hendrix
Miley Cyrus's guitar player
Josh Farro (Paramore)
Nick and Kevin Jonas (Jonas Brothers)

ETC...

So part of me says "Keep the Bassman, stick with your tone" and part of me says "Sell it and get the Slash Marshall's or the Vintage Moderns."

What do I do.

As of now I am sticking with my Fender Bassman.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
If you're not completely happy with it, ditch it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
From what I have heard, newer Marshalls arent too great. And most of your listed artists use vintage Marshalls circa 60s and 70s most likely. And even then, some people have modified heads, or oodles of rack gear and pedals. And imo, Slash is remembered mainly for his guitar tone and his playing style. You can develop a signature playing style, but the sound is someting you have to create. I would stick with the Bassman, as selling a piece of gear like that is probably a regrettable decision.
But the thing is, I have put so much money into it (road cases expensive suckers) and it was a hard sucker to find on eBay and etc.

And I do like it but idk...

I think it would be cheaper to "add on" to Marshall's because you can get to cabs for $700.00 but how much do you think it would be to get a 1964 Blonde Fender Bassman cab(s) or I would probably just get some new Fender cabs to go with it that are blonde.
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Benguitar2
But the thing is, I have put so much money into it (road cases expensive suckers) and it was a hard sucker to find on eBay and etc.

And I do like it but idk...

I think it would be cheaper to "add on" to Marshall's because you can get to cabs for $700.00 but how much do you think it would be to get a 1964 Blonde Fender Bassman cab(s) or I would probably just get some new Fender cabs to go with it that are blonde.

meh, it doesn't have to match, look at my pic in my profile of my gear.
doesn't matter what it looks like, it matters what it sounds like.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
not true.

Next guy up true.
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Osiris77
What.....

What the heck is a Splawn? or whatever?

lol
Quote by bemiswins

I'd say keep the bassman, and when you have more money you can buy another amp.
best of both worlds
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by Benguitar2
What the heck is a Splawn? or whatever?

lol

Only one of the greatest independent amp manufacturers around.

Keep the Fender.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Congrats on owning a truly amazing amp. Is it the one with a presence knob?

I suggest buying a cab loaded with some British speakers (greenbacks, maybe). It'll get you a lot closer to a Marshall-ish sound. Maybe try it with a friends cab, or bring it to a shop? Another option is to have the bass channel modded to Marshall specs; since that channel is already halfway there. Those mods would be very minor and completely reversible (if done correctly). But, I think speakers would make a bigger difference; and it wouldn't hurt resale value. I've run mine through a Marshall 4x12; and well, it didn't sound that much like a Fender anymore.
I wouldn't get a Marshall. I'd get a clone like a Ceriatone before I got a Marhsall. I'd also think about holding on to that Fender. If you take care of it that think is only going to go up in value. Get a great overdrive like something from Fulltone and that thing will sound great I'm sure.
Quote by mr_hankey
Congrats on owning a truly amazing amp. Is it the one with a presence knob?

I suggest buying a cab loaded with some British speakers (greenbacks, maybe). It'll get you a lot closer to a Marshall-ish sound. Maybe try it with a friends cab, or bring it to a shop? Another option is to have the bass channel modded to Marshall specs; since that channel is already halfway there. Those mods would be very minor and completely reversible (if done correctly). But, I think speakers would make a bigger difference; and it wouldn't hurt resale value. I've run mine through a Marshall 4x12; and well, it didn't sound that much like a Fender anymore.

+1 all around.

If you still don't appreciate your amp, I'll tell you what I'm willing to do: I'll stop at the store, pick up a crappy Marshall VM, come over to your house, slap you in the head, take your beautiful vintage Bassman and leave the Marshall in it's place.

I know that at least then I'll be happy.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Benguitar2
SO, this past Christmas my great father got me a 1964 Blonde Fender Bassman with 2x12's (original cab and head nothing changed about it) And it is a great amp and I love it and I saved up and got road cases made for it and the head and they fit perfectly, here is were I need advise. I am not sure if I should keep the amp or sell it and buy a Marshall Vintage Modern or what ever Slash uses. I am really really really really digging the Tone Slash has and I think, "He plays through Marshall's and Marshall's alone. I will not be able to replicate his "tone" very well if I have a Fender amp..." Part of me says, "But your not Slash, your Benjamin you need to have a tone of your own and stick to it." Now I don't mean to brag but I think I have gotten pretty close to Slash's tone with my Gibson Les Paul's and my Fender Bassman. But I haven't got it "exactly" which I believe it is impossible to get it exactly.

But also it isn't just Slash that plays Marshall's that I love,

Slash
Steve Clark
Jimmy Page
Joe Perry
Doug Aldrich
Avril Lavinge's guitar player
Deryck Whibley (Sum 41)
Vivian Campbell
Jimi Hendrix
Miley Cyrus's guitar player
Josh Farro (Paramore)
Nick and Kevin Jonas (Jonas Brothers)

ETC...

So part of me says "Keep the Bassman, stick with your tone" and part of me says "Sell it and get the Slash Marshall's or the Vintage Moderns."

What do I do.

As of now I am sticking with my Fender Bassman.

Give me the bassman, go listen to some proper bands, then you might appreciate your unbelievable amp.

And +1 to slats
Quote by iamtompublic
Give me the bassman, go listen to some proper bands, then you might appreciate your unbelievable amp.

And +1 to slats

Lol, and you don't think they are "proper" bands. Well just because they don't play your "style" of music doesn't mean they suck or they aren't proper, frankly if they are richer than you and they are playing for big time bands then they are proper in my book. So lets not get into this argument because no one will win. Ok?
Quote by bemiswins

I would keep the Bassman, they're gorgeous and quite rare vintage amps, i'll agree that they're not what yo wan tfor a slash tone but you could always use a pedal for when you want that kind of tone. I mean you could use maybe a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic for great saturated lead tones and that way you have the best of both worlds
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Benguitar2
Lol, and you don't think they are "proper" bands. Well just because they don't play your "style" of music doesn't mean they suck or they aren't proper, frankly if they are richer than you and they are playing for big time bands then they are proper in my book. So lets not get into this argument because no one will win. Ok?

Spot on why they got into the music biz

But anyway, if you want slash's tone go for a silver jubilee, if you want the pop tone of the other bands you've mentioned you will want a diff amp, like a bassman.

You gotta make a choice about what music you wanna play.
Go to guitar center and play through a marshall to make sure you like it. Then make your choice. If the marshall is better for you , buy it. If not stick with the fender. There is no "better" amp, just personal preference.
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
I think you'd regret it a whole lot later on if you sold your Bassman. You really would.

I'd just start saving up again and get a Marshall when you have enough money. For now, get a nice OD pedal and see what you can do to help get that Marshally tone.
Quote by iamtompublic
Spot on why they got into the music biz

not going to argue, lol But people can get famous even if they aren't rich.

Ok! I am keeping my Bassman. Because I want to have a "poppy" (as some put it) tone, also when I play live I don't want to get crap from people saying that I am a "Slash wanna be" which I guess I sort of am, but what Gibson Les Paul player isn't a Slash wanna be? lol

But I think I will stick with my tone and be "Benjamin" not a Slash clone.
Quote by bemiswins

yeah, keep the bassman, and get something like an MI Audio crunchbox. That should bring you pretty close, they are a pretty killer little pedal. And BTW, Splawn is no step backwards from any current production Marshall, his amps will stomp all over the Vintage Modern. They are basically a boutique version of the older JCM's and Plexis.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^^^ Splawn is better than a 1964 Fender Bassman?
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Colgate Total
Only one of the greatest independent amp manufacturers around.

Keep the Fender.

lol that sounds funny (probly intended to be so)

"THIS OTHER AMP ROCKS!!

but erm.. keep yours"
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Benguitar2

Depending on personal preference, they can be.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Benguitar2

for cleans and for tones where you are riding that edge of clean and overdrive? no way in hell. For getting the sound of a cranked JCM like Slash's #39? Yeah, imo easily. Depends what tones you are going for, as always.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
...Miley Cyrus is the only artist of his I question. Oh well.

Go try Marshalls, if you like them get one. Its not that difficult. Maybe a pedal. Who knows, just go TRY stuff. Simple enough Miley Cyrus fan?
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by elekguit
...Miley Cyrus is the only artist of his I question. Oh well.

......*sigh* i shouldn't admit this....i actually rly like the tone on the guitar in the only song that ive heard by her, that "see you again" song....*slaps self*
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Benguitar2

For everything except for cleans splawns go from jimi hendrix to john Petrucci and do it all great......
Quote by bored_maniac33
......*sigh* i shouldn't admit this....i actually rly like the tone on the guitar in the only song that ive heard by her, that "see you again" song....*slaps self*

Don't feel bad, people are just being sexist about that, every one is in the world and it sucks. There is nothing wrong with listening to and liking a female artists work.

BTW, her guitar player(s) play Gibson Les Pauls, SG (with P-90's), Firebird V (cream) with Mini Humbuckers, and a Blue Fender Tele.

Through Marshall's.

How do I know this?

I saw them live...
Quote by bemiswins

I just realized, you're 16 and have 2 Gibsons and a original Bassman, where the hell do you get all your money?
^^ Could we stick to the question please. No straying off.
Quote by bemiswins

^^^ Any suggestions? I don't need TOO much more power I am ALMOST to were I want to be but I need just a little more kick!
Quote by bemiswins

Treble booster?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
^^^ Possibly.. Getting my pickups changed to Seymour's helped a lot but, I think I just need to find a little more "magic".
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Benguitar2
SO, this past Christmas my great father got me a 1964 Blonde Fender Bassman with 2x12's (original cab and head nothing changed about it)
Pics, or it never happened.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Page 1 of 2