I have been trying to make an instrumental piece that would sound very "happy". I have been using the major scale with lots of arpeggios and the parallel lydian mode(i didn't try to base the song around lydian because that would really limit me so I just made a few parts of the song in lydian) but my problem is everything I come up with sounds really cheesy and unoriginal to me, does anyone have any tips on how to fix this or just how to make instrumentals in general?
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
try changing the key
also maybe your trying too many appregios (note that i havent heard what your playing)
if your using a lot of appregios at one point try to blend them together smoothly with some nice transitional notes
and if your trying to get kind of a "happy" sound Cs usally a good key to work with
hope this was helpful

Edit: the most important thing about an instrumental piece is that an audience can feel it
so try to think of the guitar as your voice
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
My favorite of my instrumentals follows a verse-chorus format, but the lead buitar plays a melody rather than someone singing. It's in a minor key (G minor if you care) but you should be able to do the same in a major key. You can follow a less conventional song structure, but for a beginning songwriter, I suggest something easy.

To keep from sounding cheesy, avoid major key cliches. Don't be afraid to use minor chords or chords borrowed from the parallel minor (ie a Bb chord in the key of D major).

My guess is that you have an idea of what you want the song to sound like in your head, figure that out and you'll have something good.

And I really hate the key of G major.
^^ So do I. Its what the majority of "guitarists" play in. The type that can play 10 open chords, and use a capo for other keys. *shakes head*
Quote by isaac_bandits
^^ So do I. Its what the majority of "guitarists" play in. The type that can play 10 open chords, and use a capo for other keys. *shakes head*
The capo is actually pretty cool.

It's not that I dislike the positions of the chords in G major, but I have imperfect pitch (as I call it) and just dislike the sound. I dislike Em as well, which makes wiritng metal tricky, especially when you consider that my electric has a whammy bar and does not like downtunings.
thanks for the help
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
make the guitar have a melodic voice to it like The Loner and Marooned stuff like taht
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I dislike Em as well, which makes wiritng metal tricky, especially when you consider that my electric has a whammy bar and does not like downtunings.

I really like E minor when playing guitar, it allows for more open strings to be used while playing which opens up some neat chord voicings. I like F# minor a lot as well... E major kind of annoys me for some reason... I've begun to ramble like an old person.