I've been playing my guitar for about 3 weeks now, but I don't feel I'm learning anything. I just play around with tabs and a few chords. What chords are best for beginning? I'm teaching myself and feel as if I've reached a dead end. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
I extensively used the guitar lessons over at www.about.com for a long time. The first songs I learned were Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and Neil Young's Heart of Gold.

Do you feel as if you might not really know "what" to practice? This is a really common problem, and it hits me quite a bit as well. Eventually, I started to write down what I needed to really work on, and then afterwards, I'd play some songs to unwind from "serious time". I still do this same strategy quite often.

Definitely try to learn some songs. They piece together the knowledge you've accumulated.

MadTaco
Troll through your music collection. Avoid picky stuff for now, go for the one with just chords, something that sounds relatively simple. Look for the tab on this site, and learn it. In my third week... I was learning things like: Wonderwall and Hey Ya.
Raffles sees all. Worship the god of confusion.
Quote by Joelolly
I've been playing my guitar for about 3 weeks now, but I don't feel I'm learning anything. I just play around with tabs and a few chords. What chords are best for beginning? I'm teaching myself and feel as if I've reached a dead end. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Best beginner chords:
C, D, Dm, E, Em, G, A, Am

Other, more difficult beginner chords:
F, Fm, B, Bm
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Knocking on Heaven's door is another excellent example which uses basic beginner chords. G, D, Am followed by G, D, C. Simple progression and a nice one to sing along to as well.

Lola by the Kink's is another easy song to pick up and play. The classic acoustic riff being the C, D and an E chords.

I found that the first few months on guitar were the biggest struggle because it takes so long to play so little. But once I got over the initial hurdle I've never looked back.
Current Equipment:
Acoustic: Cort SFX6R.
Electric Guitars: Fender American Standard Strat, Epiphone Les Paul.
Effects Pedals: Crybaby Wah, Boss OD-3.

In the Pipe-line...
Fender Blues Jnr.
Tube Screamer TS-808.
Boss BD-2.

Don't get frustrated! You're still very new to guitar, and it takes a while to develop the muscle memory, dextarity, and agility needed to be fluent. You're not at a dead end, your at the bottom of a hill and you still have yet to get to the top and see what's ahead of you (if that analogy makes any sense ).

The suggestions made already are pretty solid. Pick one you like, practice it relentlessly, and listen to it just as relentlessly. You'll be playing before you know it, and a whole world of songs will open up. Just be paitent. You'll thank yourself later (and your hands will curse you )
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Apr 19, 2008,