Poll: does guitar hero help your playing?
Poll Options
View poll results: does guitar hero help your playing?
yes
80 29%
no
198 71%
Voters: 278.
Page 1 of 3
I was just wondering if you think the guitar hero video game helps your normal guitar playing.

what do you guys think?
Quote by Trefellin

He's been in the Pit so long, he's forgotten about television. His whole life is about pears, cats, Spartans and rape. So much so that the mind control tube has lost it's powers over him. It's sad really.
No, playing guitar has actually made guitar hero more difficult for me.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Certainly not. But I can see how the drums for Rock Band may possibly help drummers with rhythm in the slightest amount.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
I've played like twice, and it was annoying how I wasn't being able to play the first song correctly. It's so much different from a real guitar... the size, number of strings/frets, how it plays... and the crowd ... if you miss half of the notes in real life, you're just dead. Your body would implode (yeah, implode, not explode) on stage. In GH, you still "Rock" if you miss half of the song... it's a game. I don't think any1 could learn to play guitar with that at all.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Quote by holden93
Certainly not. But I can see how the drums for Rock Band may possibly help drummers with rhythm in the slightest amount.

The drummer in our band has only ever played rock band. He's been playing about 2 months now and he's sh*t hot!

I suppose guitar hero would help dexterity a bit, but other than that..... I doubt it!
Quote by Mud Martian
Dont be an idiot! The only way staying awake for three days could be anywhere near beneficial is if you are,

A) Writing a hit album.
B) Behind enemy lines.
C) Writing a hit album behind enemy lines!
what about strengthening(?) your left hand?
Quote by Trefellin

He's been in the Pit so long, he's forgotten about television. His whole life is about pears, cats, Spartans and rape. So much so that the mind control tube has lost it's powers over him. It's sad really.
No, guitar hero and real guitar are two completely different things. GH is a fun game but it's nothing like a real guitar it's sort of it's own thing.

Edit: ^ I doubt it does anything for you left hand, the fret board of a guitar and 5 buttons are nothing alike so any coordination or strength your left hand would develop from guitar would be nothing like GH.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by James_Het_Rules
**** GH, stupid ass posers.

Ever thought that maybe, just maybe, that people play guitar hero because it's a fun game, and not because they're "Posers"? Food for thought, that's all.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
honestly once u play the higher difficultys it helps with speed , but other than that no help what so ever
no.
it makes you good at looking like an arsehole.
and mastering skills such as lifting your guitar to gain super powers.
pointless.

as far as im concerned the way to check yourself for gay is to play Throught the fire and flames on expert on practise. Take the precentage you get and subract it from 100. Thats how much of a life you have.
case closed
guitar realy has nothing to do with guitar, sept the shape
just liek ddr has nothign to do with dancing
and mario has nothing to do with getting high
I found that Guitar Hero/Rock Band came a lot easier to me than other people because I play guitar. I think it's because most people don't have that much control over the pinkie on their non-dominant hand, while guitar players do.

Still, after playing Rock Band for a good 8 hours over Easter weekend, it was almost as if I had to get back into playing guitar normally. It had a temporary negative impact on my playing and definitely didn't help me on the actual guitar whatsoever. =\
Maybe to get more strenght in your fretting hand and more stamina in your strumming hand but you can't really compare real guitar to guitar hero... Its like comparing apples to oranges..very, very, very untasty oranges....
Quote by holden93

I agree... rockband helped me with playing drums at my friends house. Gh has done nothing...
No.
Guitar Hero is a video game, guitar is creating music.
They are completely different.
It helps you guitar playing as much as Halo would.
O.o

Lets have a sexy partay!

Quote by R_U_READY?
brutal cabbage you sire are, in all sense of the word, a LEGEND no abbreviation can portray the hilarity of what u hav bequeathed to us, i love you for this

I am loved!
Quote by rage__against10
no.
it makes you good at looking like an arsehole.
and mastering skills such as lifting your guitar to gain super powers.
pointless.

as far as im concerned the way to check yourself for gay is to play Throught the fire and flames on expert on practise. Take the precentage you get and subract it from 100. Thats how much of a life you have.
case closed

...So I would have -46 of a life
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
Not really, you dont have to move your hands that much, I guess it could help a little with co-ordination but its not really helping you with your fretting, strumming or anything else.
I guess it could help you use your pinky if you haven't already gotten used to it. But I never even played with my pinky in that game and I could play expert fairly well. I don't agree that it is stupid and a waste of time and money... it's a fun game, good idea... but no benefit to actual guitar playing.
Quote by James_Het_Rules

Quote by James_Het_Rules's Title
**** Conformity

I don't mean that in a good, congratulating way, either.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
eh, it doesnt give u much skill for guitar, cept hand-eye coordination... which doesnt help much
Quote by megadeth rule
I was just wondering if you think the guitar hero video game helps your normal guitar playing.

what do you guys think?

YES. Guitar Hero helps your normal guitar playing.
Also, masturbation helps your ability to drive an automobile.
No one knows exactly HOW that works, it just does.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
if you're just starting out on real guitar it might help with coordinating your right and left hands, but that's about it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
No. I play both, and I have friends who play both, and the correlation is non-existent.
Quote by McLovin-
...So I would have -46 of a life

wait, you got 146% on TtFatF?

Guitar Hero helped me with:
Hammer ons/Pull offs
Pinkie strength

Guitar Hero helped me epicly fail at:
Improvisation
Playing guitar well
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by James_Het_Rules

**** conformity

Not conforming for the sake of not conforming = conforming.
No. In what way does 5 buttons compare with 6 strings and 21 frets?
I'd say that if anything, it decreases your intellect about guitar.
tumblr twitter instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
playing real guitar actually defects my playing on GH and vice-versa, there is no benefical correlation between the 2.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by James_Het_Rules
Whining about people not wanting to conform by telling them that by not conforming they are conforming is also conforming.

I don't care.
Quote by FLNagle
wait, you got 146% on TtFatF?

Nope, he said subtract. I got 54% 54-100 = -46.
I with I could though. Show off TeH 0ObErlY MEtiL SkiLLz.
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
yes it does. heavy use of the pinky in GH will definately help you.

just because it can't make you better at guitar does not mean it can't assist your playing.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
It doesn't affect directly, like beating TTFAF on Expert doesn't mean you're suddenly great at guitar.
It REALLY helps hammer ons and pull offs though, at least in GH1 and 2. Just the timing, and getting the muscles to work right.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
I dont think directly, the skills are completely different, but I voted yes for a reason. Guitar Hero can motivate people to play, because it is easier and fun. And I think that the extra motivation can help you be a better guitarist. But just becuase you can full combo every song on GH3 doesnt mean you're gunna be a killer guitarist.
Quote by highroller540
i think you should use the search bar.

This here folks is what we call a "Trend-setter".
As you can clearly see, they are completely innovative in thier originality.
i think that the above mentioned motivation should not need to be inspired by a video game. I play every single day, and it's just because i love to play. every time i hear a guitar in a song, i get the urge to play. every time i THINK about sweet guitar songs, i get the urge to play.

The only benefit that guitar hero can have is that it will develop basic hand-eye coordination (but so will practicing a real guitar) and it will maybe motivate some non-players to start playing casually, and maybe they will discover that they love the actual guitar and they will soon abandon the video game for the real thing. so it can help you become interested in guitar, but it can't help you be a better player.

There can obviously be no ear training, since the buttons aren't individual notes. no skills applicable to fretting chords, getting used to the feel of guitar strings, or how to hold and manipulate notes on the guitar. People say you can get good at hammer ons with guitar hero. You can also get good at them by practicing them on your real guitar. you can't do real pull offs on guitar hero as well, so legato isn't something you can work on.

i don't think you'd learn anything about playing music with other people, since you're not interacting with anyone... just playing to a recording, with a visual guide to take your cues from. maybe that game Rock Band can help you learn about staying coordinated with other players, but it still won't help with music.

what pisses me off about guitar hero is that, because the physical motion is the same (hold guitar-shaped object, strum with one hand, "fret" with other hand), people who play the game a lot often (really often) get an air about them that they are somehow musically accomplished. I honestly see it a lot... i'll overhear two guys talking about riffs, and they'll sound just like real musicians, until they say something like: "and i got 450 consecutive notes on Hangar 18!"

i know that's not the case with ALL guitar hero players, but it's noticeable more with guitar hero...
Page 1 of 3