me and a friend want to get a band together this summer (you can hear some of our stuff in my profile) but his amp is an MG30, my question; will this amp be loud enough for small gigs?
probably not. 30W of solid state is a stretch when you're playing with drums. You could only get away with it if you have good PA at the gig, and the guitar amp gets mic'd.

plus, as an MG, it will likely break en route to the gig, during your soundcheck, or during your set.... lol
no it wont be. i had one and i could barely keep up with the drummer
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by fender1260
me and a friend want to get a band together this summer (you can hear some of our stuff in my profile) but his amp is an MG30, my question; will this amp be loud enough for small gigs?

You'd better get the MG half stack. It's totally worth it.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
You'd better get the MG half stack. It's totally worth it.

WTH? NO NO NO NO NO, DOn't listen this person, NO NO. JUST NO.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

I have the MG50, and I never turn it up past 1/3 of the way up, and even then my drummer has to play so loud that he bought aluminum drum sticks so that they wouldn't break. I only have my gain just over half, but I am also playing through a gt-8, so that boosts the signal as well.

I don't know that I'd ever need a louder amp. But then again, I'd probably look back on this and think, "wow, i was a noob".
Quote by DSchmitty
WTH? NO NO NO NO NO, DOn't listen this person, NO NO. JUST NO.

Your sarcasm radar needs checking.
^it bugs me when people cant sense internet sarcasm.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
^it bugs me when people cant sense internet sarcasm.

You know, the ironic part is he actually has a sarcastic MG post in his sig.
considering the marshal MG is kinda rubbish... no offence it soudns all rite..

but they are very tempamental....

but no it wouldnt be loud enough..

i suggest either the cube 30 or the cube30x there are very loud... or if you want PORPER quality to go for the 60 wat cube 60 =]

mostly found in your local music shop or online
My Gear

Epiphone: Les Paul - 1994 - Birdseye.
Tenson: Strat
Samick: Acoustic < On Long Term Lend.
Samick: Amp - 15w
Roland Cube 30 Amp
My MG30 can barely be heard over a drummer, especially with clean.
The distortion channel sounds rubbish turned up anyway.
Quote by mnin
I have the MG50, and I never turn it up past 1/3 of the way up, and even then my drummer has to play so loud that he bought aluminum drum sticks so that they wouldn't break. I only have my gain just over half, but I am also playing through a gt-8, so that boosts the signal as well.

I don't know that I'd ever need a louder amp. But then again, I'd probably look back on this and think, "wow, i was a noob".

Your drummers technique needs serious work then. The drummer I play with uses Pro Mark Rock Sticks with wooden tips and plays MUCH harder than most drummers and never breaks sticks. Our old drummer used to break sticks all the time. Apparently he hits his cymbals wrong.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Moe.
Your sarcasm radar needs checking.

He obviously a newbie so he doesn't know what he's talking about so he might take sarcasm literally and go out and buy the amp. We don't want that.
30 SS wont do well with a drummer. My amp (30 watt spider) needed to be just a lil bit louder. Then, well for mine it sounds even worse cranked sooo poo.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.