So now that I'm really upgrading my equipment to sort of match my skill (finally got a new amp after 8 years of a little piss-ant practice amp) I'm really looking into customizing my instrument, mostly practically (I might change the pick-guards and the knobs later, but metal sound is what I really want) I'm thinking about getting a seymour duncan hotrail (i think that's right) pickup for my bridge pick-up, mostly so I can get the fat humbucker distortion without having to cut up my guitar. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Do I need one for my neck pickup as well? Any bridge mods or anything that would help? It's a mexican strat if that changes any opinions. I mostly play progressive metal, Maiden, Manowar, Rhapsody, Iced Earth, that sort of thing.
Quote by ObiMcD
So now that I'm really upgrading my equipment to sort of match my skill (finally got a new amp after 8 years of a little piss-ant practice amp) I'm really looking into customizing my instrument, mostly practically (I might change the pick-guards and the knobs later, but metal sound is what I really want) I'm thinking about getting a seymour duncan hotrail (i think that's right) pickup for my bridge pick-up, mostly so I can get the fat humbucker distortion without having to cut up my guitar. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Do I need one for my neck pickup as well? Any bridge mods or anything that would help? It's a mexican strat if that changes any opinions. I mostly play progressive metal, Maiden, Manowar, Rhapsody, Iced Earth, that sort of thing.

If you play maiden you might want to look at some good quality neck pickups (sorry i dont actualy know any pickups)
Get a JB Jr or a Dimarzio Tone Zone (not sure what the single coil sized model is called) for the bridge. But just so you know, it's not hard to route for a humbucker, especially if you have a pickguard to cover it up. Might want to consider it, as it will give you a wider variety of pickups to choose from.
hot rail in the bridge and vintage in the neck or jb jr bridge hot rail neck
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
So I'm definitely gonna get a pickup. Should I get the neck or bridge pickup first? Would it benefit me in any way to get both at once? I haven't done this before so I just want to do it right. Would it be better to get one and play with it for awhile and then get the other or is it a pain to take it apart and drop a new pickup in?
maiden used a dimarzio super distortion/paf combo during the old days (iirc) you could try the super distortion S for your bridge and an air norton neck and something cool for the middle.

(and i mean the single coil versions of the SD and AN)
My band (Vocals/Lead Guitar)
www.myspace.com/kilmoreband

Guitars:
(Main) Gibson LP Studio (Duncan JazzB/Jazzn)
(B) Fender Strat (Lace Sensor Red/Silver/Blue)
(BU) BC Rich NJ Exotic Classic Rich Bich (Mustaine LW)
Amps: Line 6 HD 147
Get Hot Rails. I have hot rails in all 3 of my strat slots, even tho it was kind of a waste to put one in the middle. Love the tone, the pickups react to your every touch as they're very sensitive.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lGoh7772Evw
That's a sample of my tone. Ignore the sloppy playing, it was a tone test.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead