tomorow im going to guitar center with my friend and im gonna buy a shure sm 57 mic for recording and live and i was wondering if i should get this. i dont need anything other then a chord and pa system for this mic right? ok thanks
PREAMP. a mic like that needs some juice behind it to sound right. ART makes some good quality cheaper stuff.
You can. Most modern mixer preamps have enough gain to get an Sm57 to sound alright. You only really notice an improvement in sound when you start moving into much more expensive preamp options.
Quote by vacancy33
tomorow im going to guitar center with my friend and im gonna buy a shure sm 57 mic for recording and live and i was wondering if i should get this. i dont need anything other then a chord and pa system for this mic right? ok thanks

if you will be using the mic live i suggest the SM58 over the 57 since the 58 has an on board pop filter which is nice in a live setting...

If you have an interface with preamp and XLR input already you should be set but if you don't have any recording gear other than a mic and cable youll either wan a preamp/DI box and run to the line in on your stock sound card...or better yet, an interface with preamp and XLR input.

Get a fair interface, the cheap ones run with USB 1.1 which is old and slow.

The better ones like the E-MU 0404 run USB 2.0 and then theres firewire interfaces if you will be recording more than 2 mics in one take.

For live use you will only need an XLR mic cord and your PA
For recording you'll want some different gear...
ok for live i would use that and right now i have a boss br 600 for recording would that work
Well, as the Boss unit has integrated XLR ports and mic preamps (if I am not mistaken) then it should be fine, yes.
There is poetry in despair.