OK I changed the front page to sute my new knowledge even if it ain't much I am now looking at a Mark 4 and rectoverb and well anything else that meets criteria. I would like some highs and lows of amps.

reason for getting rid of road king as an option becouse I realy don't need all the features.
Ty

Also any other amps would be nice so say what ya know I play Hard Rock/Metal and want at least two channels, effects loop, and no more than 50 watts thanks
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Last edited by 80sShred4TheWin at Apr 19, 2008,
cant tell you much about the amps.
a Mesa Boogie 2x12 would be a good cab.
Also Vader Cabinets 2x12's are supposed to be pretty good.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Well I had a thread a while back and kinda decided on egnator but some new amps came up that I realy need advice on.

Mesa boogie express, roadking, f-30, and mark 4

one question does mark 4 have a power switch to lower the watts heard it does but don't know for shure

it has a simulclass and class A switch, which is all 4 tubes or 2 tube, and it has a pentode/triode switch. With the combinations, you can have 30W, 55W, 70W, and 85W. There is also a tweed setting that lowers B+ voltage to simulate a variac, and also lowers headroom.

So it would be nice if I could hear highs and lows of these amps and recomend me a good 2x12 cab to go with it.

Also any other amps would be nice so say what ya know I play Hard Rock/Metal and want at least two channels, effects loop, and no more than 50 watts thanks

The Express isn't really a great option for metal. F30 is a nice EL84 amp, better than the express, but I would rather have the F50 or F100 for metal. Roadkings are great, but very pricey. Mark IV is awesome, nothing much to say bad about it, maybe only that R2 is kind of meh. R1 and Lead channels are killer though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Summer job and nothing better to spend it on so I think I could save up for a road king if I wanted to.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
If you wanna save for the Road King Series II, you will not be disappointed by any means at all. The amp kills.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
holy.......................... the roadking tone is amazing how much would one of those run me.

The mark tone was okay the roadking was better.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
holy.......................... the roadking tone is amazing how much would one of those run me.

The mark tone was okay the roadking was better.

Road King series II Head $2749
Mark IV Short Head $1899

Heres a clip of a Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yUUCRJGdko

You can nail that tone with the Mark IV fairly easily. Mark series are better for leads, so smooth and liquidy.

Roadking is fantastic for that recto tone.
I think you can get a Mark IV combo for like... 800? Well, about 1k or less (used in the US, I mean).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
I think you can get a Mark IV combo for like... 800? Well, about 1k or less (used in the US, I mean).

Yes i got my Mark IV short head in great condition for $800 off craigslist Minnesota, and had it shipped to me.

Also to the TS, Id advise you to listen to these albums and make your assesment on whether you want a Road King or a Mesa Mark IV.

Listen to Dream Theater's - 'Train of Thought'. That was done entirely with a Road king.

And listen to Dream Theater's - "Six degrees of inner turbulence". That was done entirely with the Mesa Boogie Mark Series amps.

The Mark IIC+ was used mostly on that album but I have very little difficulty replicating those tones with my Mark IV.

Either way, you will be a happy bunny if you get either paired with a Recto 2x12.
$2700 god damn you mesa.......... do you think I could find a used one for around $2000?
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Be warned - the Road King II is probably pretty intimidating if you're more of a "plug and play" type of a guy. That thing has a s***load of knobs and whatnot to fiddle.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Thanks guys I think it is time to change my sig I was almost set on Egnator but the Roadking would be so much better for high gain
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
I am sort of a plug and play guy when it comes to pedals becouse I think they shoudn't take over your tone but with an amp head I would like the extra knobs to fiddle with makes it more versitile and I like the tube switch feature
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Thanks guys I think it is time to change my sig I was almost set on Egnator but the Roadking would be so much better for high gain

Oh nearly forgot.

There's the Mesa Boogie Roadster. It's essentially a Road King but without the 'Progressive Linkage'.

Progressive Linkage: "Progressive Linkage which offers these five power choices: 2x6L6, 2xEL-34, 2x6L6 plus 2xEL-34, 4x6L6 and 4x6L6 plus 2xEL-34."

The Roadster Head costs $1999 new.
I don't really like the idea of the Roadster. I think it is kinda like a neutered Road King. The progressive linkage is really what "The King" is know for.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
So, how different is a road king to a rectifier when it comes to Teh Br00talz?
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
If you can afford the roadking, I'd get it, but the Mark IV would be one hell of an amp. Id say that over the others but an f-30 wouldnt be bad either.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
The Road King is an awesome amp. It doesn't have the most usable gain ever, but I think a preamp tube swap would fix that right up.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
What do you mean by not most usable gain ever I also want to know if Roadking sounds anywhere close to a single reflecter sorry for spelling
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Road king's and roadsters in my opinion have a very different voice than the rectifiers. Either or those two could probably make any sound that a normal rectifier makes, but they can do much more as well. Also, the single rectifier I believe has a bit of a lower gain sound than the dual (this is what I've heard, not 100% sure). From what I've seen, the Roadster is $1899 new, not $1999.
Quote by TheShred201
Road king's and roadsters in my opinion have a very different voice than the rectifiers. Either or those two could probably make any sound that a normal rectifier makes, but they can do much more as well. Also, the single rectifier I believe has a bit of a lower gain sound than the dual (this is what I've heard, not 100% sure). From what I've seen, the Roadster is $1899 new, not $1999.

Roadster went up in price. Mesa just upped their prices list.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Well I am down to rectoverb and mark 4 and my real question is the mark 4s gain it has better features then the rectoverb and looks like a better bet but is the gain up to par with the rectoverb can I get that low end that the rectoverb has. Plz I would like opinions. Also I am thinking is should be able to get either used for around $800-900 am I right? I would like a price estiment.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Mark IV. It wins over the Recoverb.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
But does mark 4 have enof low end gain.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
SPLAWN QUICKROD!!!

has EVERYTHING you are talking about (it has the half power switch to lower wattage from 100 to 50)
FX loop
2 channel, the 2nd channel has 3 modes, plexi, jcm800, and SUPER jcm800, with footswitchable gain and volume boosts.

EDIT: did not notice budget... IT would be hard to find a Mark IV that cheap. Honestly the Rectoverb and Mark IV are completely different sounds.... you will have to test them against eachother.
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Apr 20, 2008,
Splawn quickrod does not have the sound I want it sounds great but not what I want.
Budget is not a problem I could get the money needed for a Road King If I wanted to wait that long. But I think it is time I find a store that has both and test them out and then start looking through craigslist.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Ah you like the more american sound. I would go for the RK... if you really don't need the progressive linkage and all those extra controls and do-das than just get the roadster.
Ya I like the sound of smooth saturated gain it is soothing and mesa seems to have that. So in a week or two I am going to try out some mesa boogies at store and see wich one I like. I would go sooner but the closest store is a wase away. And I was thinking rectoverb or mark 4 but now I am thinking roadster or mark 4 maby roadking becouse I decided I want at least 3 channels 1 clean 1 gain 1 more gain. 4 would be nice so I could have 1 clean 1 gain 1 more gain 1 a bunch of wasps swarming around a mic. Ya so soon I will go to a store and post my results.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
BTW, read the manual of the Roadking and the Mark IV before you go. It helps a lot.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993