i need a few pointers on writing hardcore riffs/melodies, breakdowns, etc. also what should lyrics be about? should i write about personal experiences?
Listen to a lot of your favorite bands and try to use them as inspiration. That's all anyone can really tell you that will work. Learn some of their riffs and get an idea of how they are made and about what some of the more common nuances are and try to apply it to your own writing.
Down tuned guitar, Natural minor scale maybe experiment with the harmonic minor also, pedal tones.
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
i need a few pointers on writing hardcore riffs/melodies, breakdowns
Regardless of genre, my advice is to think of what you want in your head, then try to work it out on guitar. Ear training and music theory will help with this.

also what should lyrics be about? should i write about personal experiences?
I would say write about whatever you want to write about, and you should ask this in the 'Songwriting and Lyrics' forum
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
a hint on breakdowns - use SPARINGLY

i hope it's not just me, but i feel that breakdowns hardcore-style rarely work musically.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
ok heres what you do.
tune your guitar to drop d/c/b (whatever you prefer)
use the power chords on the 3rd, 5th and 6th frets in any order or rythm, and there it is! a typical hardcore song.

oh and as for breakdowns, as visiblenoise stated - use sparingly. from a hardcore fan's perspective, the breakdown is a highlight of the song, the only part where they can do their invisible ninja fighting. usually a breakdown consists of mainly open chugged power chords. try experimenting with different rythms and whatnot, maybe throwing in a little lick as a tail on the riff, until you have something that is a perfect balance between brutality and groove.
Quote by Scrawnbag
ok heres what you do.
tune your guitar to drop d/c/b (whatever you prefer)
use the power chords on the 3rd, 5th and 6th frets in any order or rythm, and there it is! a typical hardcore song.

oh and as for breakdowns, as visiblenoise stated - use sparingly. from a hardcore fan's perspective, the breakdown is a highlight of the song, the only part where they can do their invisible ninja fighting. usually a breakdown consists of mainly open chugged power chords. try experimenting with different rythms and whatnot, maybe throwing in a little lick as a tail on the riff, until you have something that is a perfect balance between brutality and groove.

Sums it up, but try to make melodies with said chords, experiment.

If you wanna be different, though, just experiment by listening to your favorite bands and combining styles until you come up with something you like.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Don't.

But if you really want to...

Drop tuning.
Power chords.
Basic chord progression using said power chords with an open triplet *chug chug chug* thrown in at your discretion.
Screeching dissonant notes played on the upper frets of the guitar after *chug chug chug*
Breakdown - slow triplet chug chug chug followed by more screeching dissonance.

Congratulations.
Last edited by Paquijón at Apr 19, 2008,