I am a guitar player but looking into developing my skills and pick up the bass. From my experiences with guitar, I am not interested in the typical "beginner" packages and gear. What are some really good basses and amps for someone primarily into metal? I pretty read up on my guitar gear but know crap about bass. Another way to put it is, what is the bass equivalent to my guitar gear, as far as quality is concerned?

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser - $700

Peavey 6505+ Amp head - $ 1200

Mesa Rectifier Cab - $950
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser w/ EMG 81-85 Humbuckers
Peavey 6505+
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 4x12 Slant Cab w/Vintage 30's
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
Danelectro Fish N' Chips EQ
for an amp you'll prolly wanna go with ashdown or ampeg. as for a bass, i'd go to your local music shop and fiddle around with the basses. for versatility (if you don't wanna just play metal) a fender jazz 24V would be good. A Schecter Stiletto would be a good bet too.
GAS List:
Nothing
i'm gonna agree on the ampeg/ashdown for an amp...but i'd say for a bass and playing metal and 5 string gibson thunderbird is the way to go, but if you dont want to shell out the cash for a gibson, go for the epi version and some new pick ups
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270
Squire Stagemaster 7string

Amps
Randall Titan head
Randall XL cab with celestions

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by TJ Wise
i'm gonna agree on the ampeg/ashdown for an amp...but i'd say for a bass and playing metal and 5 string gibson thunderbird is the way to go, but if you dont want to shell out the cash for a gibson, go for the epi version and some new pick ups

you best be kidding. the tone of thunderbirds are nothing but mud and the neck drive is unbearable.
GAS List:
Nothing
*sighs*

There's really no point in shelling out nearly $3000 on bass if you're just "looking at developing your skills" as you put it.

As much as you say you aren't interested in beginner packages, they really are the best way to go. It doesn't matter how long you've played guitar, bass is a different beast that you may not get on with as an instrumentalist or a musician. Shelling out $150-200 is a much better way of doing it in order to see how you get on.
that wasn't the question delirium. i doubt he cares whether or not you think he should see how he likes it first. he was making an inquiry on good basses, to which i will actually respond. theres some real nice ibanezes out there. i know i like mine, but you will probably be looking for a more expensive model, i'm not sure of any specific names, but if you search ibanez on guitar center im sure you'll find some good ones.
Ampegs and Ashdowns are good amps. so i agree with them.
for basses, try some fender Prescision Basses. they're a bit clunky but i love mine to death.
even if it is the gayest color ive ever seen.
but if you wanna develop your skills, id start with ya know, starter gear.
maybe a nice Fender Bassman 25 for your amp? a Mexican P Bass?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by tona_107
that wasn't the question delirium. i doubt he cares whether or not you think he should see how he likes it first. he was making an inquiry on good basses, to which i will actually respond.

Are you too naive to think that he's not inquiring to buy, which is what it actually sounds like (hence the comment about beginner basses)? I'm not in the business of recommending anything above entry level basses to a beginner.
I would recommend an amp with at least 75 watts if you wanna be heard (if you pratice with a band, gallien-krueger ftw :])

Most Shecters are good with metal and so are Ibanez basses

The GSR205 and SR405 are good 5 stringers, or good 4 strings are the SRX series basses ($290 and above)
I would recommend an amp with at least 75 watts if you wanna be heard (if you pratice with a band, gallien-krueger ftw :])

The GSR205 and SR405 are good 5 stringers, or good 4 strings are the SRX series basses ($290 and above)
Quote by Flummery
you best be kidding. the tone of thunderbirds are nothing but mud and the neck drive is unbearable.

hey man, what can i say i like the sound the thunderbirds give out, i think slapping and popping, along with finger picking sounds great coming from this guitar...and if it sounds clunky just pull a pup swap..which would probably be better for him to do with an epi rather then a gibson to save money
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270
Squire Stagemaster 7string

Amps
Randall Titan head
Randall XL cab with celestions

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by TJ Wise
hey man, what can i say i like the sound the thunderbirds give out, i think slapping and popping, along with finger picking sounds great coming from this guitar...and if it sounds clunky just pull a pup swap..which would probably be better for him to do with an epi rather then a gibson to save money

That doesn't really solve the proble of it being almost entirely mahogany, or improving your fret access, or the neck dive.

But I'm with delirium on this one. They are completely different beasts, and you may end up wasting a lot of money on something that never gets used.

However, I just want to point out to the people only recommending Ashdown and Ampeg as high level amps, there are a huge variety out there that cater to almost every possible tone you could want.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by hobo_bezerker

75 watts is not nearly enough to be heard over a drummer and guitarists, I'd say the 150+ area at the minimum. Even if I was just jamming with another guitarist I'd like to have at least 100 watts.
I'd go to a shop and test some things out if I were you.
It'd be quite frustrating if you buy an Ampeg because this forum says so, just to find out you don't like the Ampeg sound.
Same goes for the bass, really.

Some quality brands for amps are: Eden, Markbass, Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Ashdown, Hartke, Warwick
For basses: Fender, Ibanez, Musicman, Lakland, Warwick

And ofcourse loads more, these are just some brands to get you started.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Last edited by sam_ofzo at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by sam_ofzo

Some quality brands for amps are: Eden, Markbass, Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Ashdown, Hartke, Warwick
For basses: Fender, Ibanez, Musicman, Lakland, Warwick

And ofcourse loads more, these are just some brands to get you started.

I'm just going to highlight the only suggestions in your comment, which are sensible for "getting started"

If you're just starting, you don't wanna spend £1000 and get a Wawrick, Lakland or Musicman, you only do that if you are going to play it.

You can get versions of the basses you put up:
Fender - Squier
Musicman - OLP
Warwick - Rockbass

All good for begginers

Last point:
Quote by ThisFireBurns22
From my experiences with guitar, I am not interested in the typical "beginner" packages and gear.

Quote by The Bass FAQ

8. I’m a guitarist who wants to play bass...
Good for you. You may be an expert guitarist, but you’re on the bottom rung of the ladder as far as bass playing goes. Sure, there may be some crossover, but keep in mind that bass is a strength instrument, and requires a different approach musically. You may pick things up quicker technique wise, but don’t fall into the trap of thinking “I can play guitar, therefore I can play bass… it’s two less strings for crying out loud!”
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If its metal looks and stuff you're after, perhaps a traben bass, my local store ahs got some in, and they are quite affordable, betweem 2-400 british sterling pounds, and we get screwed for prices, Ive yet to play one though,so cant comment on that, but the pheonix I think looks damn good, well, the neck does with that pretty inlay, persoanlly im not a fan of the spiky bridges,but they look nice and metal....
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I think the TS is a little too big for his boots in the world of bass.

And personally you can't really go wrong with a starter pack, if you don't like bass you havent wasted £800 or more on something thats gonna sit in the corner.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206