my friends getting a new gutiar and its a MIM standard strat
he asked me how the overall stability of the bridge on it was. his first guitar had a floyd rose and so hes really reluctant on getting a guitar with a tremolo on it (he knows the strat isnt a floating bridge but hes still a bit worried)
well i've never had a fender standard (only a squier with a ****ty bridge) so i really cant say.
so how does it hold up?
hes been playing for a few years and he knows the strat is the guitar he wants. this is just a little fear he has and i just want to reassure him.
thanks in advance.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
I believe it's very good. Especially if you don't use the tremolo too much - I don't use mine at all and it stays in tune very well (it's even a crap Squier).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
if you float the bridge it can be kind of shaky, or if you use the trem a lot. But if you screw the bridge down and don't try to do crazy whammy tricks you should be fine assuming it's set up properly.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It also depends largely on how sensibly he strings his guitar as well. Five winds around the peg isn't going to do him any favours.

Anyway, if he finds it a little too unreliable, he could always splash for locking tuners - problem solved then.
Any guitar can stay in tune nearly perfectly, it just all depends on how you string the guitar. There's some tuners you can get, which lock the string into the peg, meaning you may only need to wind it once, and it keeps the guitar in tune. Usually a guitar will go out of tune because the wraps around the tuning key are loose, which is why people stretch the strings prior to playing. So if he upgraded to the tuners which lock the strings in place, he shouldn't have a problem.
Here's some tips I like to post about Strats, when people ask about tuning stability:
Quote by me
There's several factors, when you're trying to keep a guitar in tune:
- Stringing technique
- proper setup
- As little friction as possible.

So let's attack these possible problems.
Friction - Your guitar has what are called string trees:

The circled metal thing keeps the string from popping out of the string nut. Useful, but they also create friction that prevents the string from returning to its proper pitch after a bend or something. So...apply some sort of lubrication to to the underside of the string tree, as pointed to by the arrow. Use something like Big Bends Nut Sauce, or Guitar Grease. Even pencil lead will work. Simply grind the pencil lead into dust on a paper, and use some of this dust on the point of friction. You can even use machine oil.
The same problem occurs at the string nut. Each groove has a bit of friction. So you can apply the same lubricant there, underneath the string, and that will help. You can also buy the appropriate replacement nut, but the nut should be made of graphite. There's less friction from that material.

Moving on to setup. There's a lot of material to cover with setup, far more than I feel inclined to go into...but I can point you towards some helpful links:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241&page=1&pp=20

Lastly, stringing technique. Yes, it's possible to string a guitar improperly. I actually mess with my Strats trem a lot, and it stays in tune really nicely. Of course, I have it lubricated at the proper points of friction and have a graphite nut, but I don't use locking tuners or anything like that. The secret? Stringing your guitar the right way! Here's a link that will show you how I do it:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html