Im gonna buy a new guitar soon, and being a 16 year old, i dont have much money (max 450) and was wondering if the les paul special II is a decent guitar, here is the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-2-in-4-colours_W0QQitemZ230240888438QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or to spend a bit more and get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Epiphone-LP100-les-paul-guitar_W0QQitemZ330227409602QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

any advice would be welcome
My friend has a sg special II, and he thinks its really ****ty, lots of fret buzz and the strings feel abnormally thight and its pretty hard for him to play over the 12:th fret. I don't think the special II series have that good quality control...
They're good for just starting out, but if you're wanting it to be an upgrade get something else.

edit: out of the two i would get the second.
Go for an LP standard, you won't regret it. Or whoever is buying the guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Both suck, esp. the Special. You should get the standard.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Please save your money and buy something you won't get sick of in a month.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Do you want a good guitar for the price or an LP?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
If you're looking into LP's on ebay and you're on a budget look up the Agile AL series, as their manufacturer Rondo Music has an ebay store. You'll get a LP copy that is significantly cheaper than an Epiphone, but at MUCH better quality than a Les Paul Special 2 or a LP-100, at least that is what I have read around here. I'm currently ordering a AL-2000!
Quote by holyzombiejesus
If you're looking into LP's on ebay and you're on a budget look up the Agile AL series, as their manufacturer Rondo Music has an ebay store. You'll get a LP copy that is significantly cheaper than an Epiphone, but at MUCH better quality than a Les Paul Special 2 or a LP-100, at least that is what I have read around here. I'm currently ordering a AL-2000!

the OP is in australia.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I would say that if you are going for one of those two, then get the special. It isnt too bad for beginners. but if you can wait, I would suggest waiting until you have enough money for a standard...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Don't buy an LTD 50 series.
There was a few Epiphone LP standards in the quokka this week although they were all around the 500 - 700 mark, although you can always bargain in the quokka so ring around and see how you go. My old guitar teacher has guitars made for him from the Epiphone Factory but just puts a different brand on the headstock. So you could get an Epi LP standard for about $350 I think thats what he sells them for. I could find out if you were really interested.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
The Standard is the minimum you should buy. No exceptions. If you have to, just wait and save up more money - you actually save more money in the long run by buying one decent guitar now, rather than buying something crap now and then having to upgrade in six months.

That said, you're on a Fender Strat currently? Then a Special-II or LP-100 will be a big step down in terms of quality. An Epi Standard will keep you on roughly the same quality level as a lower-level mexican Fender, but that's about as good as you'll get.
LP special II any good? No.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by bokuho
The Standard is the minimum you should buy. No exceptions. If you have to, just wait and save up more money - you actually save more money in the long run by buying one decent guitar now, rather than buying something crap now and then having to upgrade in six months.

That said, you're on a Fender Strat currently? Then a Special-II or LP-100 will be a big step down in terms of quality. An Epi Standard will keep you on roughly the same quality level as a lower-level mexican Fender, but that's about as good as you'll get.

Epi Standard > Fender MIM

also, look into Epi G-400s they're good for the price.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
No it's not good, the Standard is about the double, but maybe ten times better. And about another $200 you get a Hagström Swede/Super Swede that beats all Epis easily (not sure of the Elitists, never played or seen one) and Gibson LP Studios. So I would advice you to save up for a Hagström as it would be better for you in the end.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
the OP is in australia.

haha woops! On that note, I'm going to be totally raped for shipping due to my Canadian location
Only you can decide if you like it, despite what everyone else says. I've played these alongside Standards and Customs and it actually does sound good. I love them.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Quote by Storer
Only you can decide if you like it, despite what everyone else says. I've played these alongside Standards and Customs and it actually does sound good. I love them.

Did you also play the customs and standards through your Man Genital? (MG)
yes I did, and through a DSL.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
I have had a Epiphone LP special for a year and a half and have not regretted buying it. There is nothing wrong with it, and it has been working very well for me. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for his/her first guitar.