well.. i'm flying from milano to edinburgh tonight... and i'm about to take my 1/4 acoustic (strings made of steel) as my hand baggage or whatever is it called... i'll keep it safe in a bag and put it on the place above the seats .. but the question is...

would they even let me take a guitar with me on plane.. i mean... it has steel strings, which could be a deadly weapon in some situations lol...

and yeah... it's impossible to put my guitar down to the cases and bags, because it would get smashed

should i remove the strings before, and place them in my case?

does anyone have any such expirience?
thanks in advice
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Umm, cant you phone the airport in advance or something?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
That's just a guitar... They let you bring shoelaces? Cuz shoelaces can hang a man and be deadly too...
Yeah, call ahead.
And there's a small chance you'll have to fight for it. I'd suggest getting a hard case either way.
Quote by SHEEM
That's just a guitar... They let you bring shoelaces? Cuz shoelaces can hang a man and be deadly too...

Umm stainless steel strings (or in their opinion 'wires') would be worse, ever seen the godfather?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
I want to know this too.

I'm flying to tennessee in july and I'm planning to bring my guitar on the plane.
O.o

Lets have a sexy partay!

Quote by R_U_READY?
brutal cabbage you sire are, in all sense of the word, a LEGEND no abbreviation can portray the hilarity of what u hav bequeathed to us, i love you for this

I am loved!
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Umm, cant you phone the airport in advance or something?

i would ... if it wouldnt be the italy.... you see.. i'm from slovenia... that's near italy.. and they cant's speak no language but italian

i'm sorry to say this but it's the way it is... if there is someone from italy reading this.. i doubt they will understand
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
i've personally done it many times. I don't have a hard case, so i just bring with me as a carry-on.

However, you may want to check what type of plane you are flying in....the smaller ones will have a smaller overhead compartment, in which your guitar won't fit. Also, see if the plane is booked, because guitars take up a bit more room than your standard carry-on....

but other than that, i've done it many times hassle-free.
Quote by 100%guitarmad
oversized luggage or something

EDIT: BRAINWAVE!!! Buy a seat for your guitar!!

umm it's a 1/4 guitar... sized 75cm * 30 cm * 10cm... i doubt that is an oversized luggage
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
it would be pretty ridiculous though if they were scared of you taking the guitar out and detuning one of the strings until it is loose enough to take off, all in front of the rest of the passengers on board
I've taken acoustic guitars on planes heaps of times, so u should be fine. One thing that i have undertaken to stop that i will say is that u shouldnt loosen the string tension, as many airline workers will tell u to do.
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
Just buy a flight case.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Umm stainless steel strings (or in their opinion 'wires') would be worse, ever seen the godfather?

Why not? But it's just a goddamn movie, airports are too paranoid.
i tried to take my acoustic on as hand luggage once but they wouldnt let me. since i only had a gig bag i just wrapped the guitar in bubble wrap and stuffed in the case so it wouldnt get damaged in the cargo area
member of the Australia FTW! group (pm the random hero or alter bridge to join (aussies only)
Every holidays I fly to Sydney and I take my steel stringed acoustic.
Never really had a problem except for once they asked if I put in special baggages section which was fine. So don't worry at all I guess unless you're countries airports are tight.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
When I went from California to Argentina I had to buy a hardcase for my electric guitar and give it to the airport to put under the plane and, when I get to Argentina, I opened up the suitcase in which my amp was and it was full of dents, scratches and other things that it didn't have. When I'm leaving the airport the morons controling the X-ray machine made me pass my guitar through there (10 minutes wasted for nothing). The service was terrible. And they didn't let me take my guitar on board because they said it was "too big". If I wanted to take it with me I had to take out all the strings and I had to buy another passage and I had to leave it on the seat next to me.
No, you give it to the cashier to weigh it and then she gives you a sticker which says "Hand Luggage" and you take it on board with you, no problems, unless your guitar is heavier than 20 Kg then it's a problem
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
They say guitars are to big to be carry on, you have to put it in the cargo hold. The best idea is to make sure you put extra padding in before the flight, or else it will get damaged. The baggage handlers see the hard case and even if it says fragile (which it will) they will throw it around because they think due to it being a hard case, its protected. Make sure the extra padding means it cant move around at all or very little.