So im at a point with my guitar playing where the thing i lack most is speed. i know all the pentatonic boxes, modes, and melodic and harmonic minor, and i'm at a point where i'm happy enough with my phrasing and feel that i'd like to increase speed. Can any1 recommend me some actual songs (not practising methods, techniques, etc.) that will help me do this.

Cheers
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
There's no such thing really - speed comes from being accurate, perfect things slowly and gradually increase the tempo.

Obviously if you learn something that's a bit faster than anything else you know then it seems like you've got "faster", but you haven't really. All that's happened is you got better at that particular piece because you practiced it more.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
And what are THINGS that I could practise slowly and increase the tempo is my question. I think you speak the truth, mr. seagull, but i would like some ideas on what songs/solos I should play to improve speed (or accuracy at faster tempos, as you say).
Quote by invaderzim31
And what are THINGS that I could practise slowly and increase the tempo is my question. I think you speak the truth, mr. seagull, but i would like some ideas on what songs/solos I should play to improve speed (or accuracy at faster tempos, as you say).

It doesn't really matter - anything you like, you can even simply work at playing stuff you already know a bit faster. No particular piece is going to be better at improving your accuracy than another.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Can someone just humour me and suggest a few songs that have fast licks (pparticularly left hand speed)?
try some slayer or some other thrash metal bands. they usually have a fast tempo and complicated riffs
Quote by invaderzim31
Can someone just humour me and suggest a few songs that have fast licks (pparticularly left hand speed)?

Why? Your asking a question that doesn't have an answer. There is no song that's going to be "better" at helping you become a better guitarist, just choose a song you like.

It's not the song itself that makes you improve, it's the process of learning it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by invaderzim31

anything you think thats fast. Pick up a riff. Play with a metronome at a slow speed. Then keep on increasing the tempo evry 5mins by 5bpm(m nt bein specific, m i) ok then do this evryday. Learn new riffs everyday. And increase the speed. Devote sumthin like one hour or so for that. Maybe that helped.
just practice the exercises with your fingers...the one where your index finger is on the first frett, your second on the second....untill you reach the top string and play it backwards..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Anything Jason Becker.

Godspeed lad, you'll need it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Try Blitzkrieg by Malmsteen (atleast some parts).There are some nice licks for practising speed.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by invaderzim31

smoke and mirrors Symphony X
Anything by Annihilator should be able to work on your downstrokes and alt. picking endurance.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by steven seagull
Why? Your asking a question that doesn't have an answer. There is no song that's going to be "better" at helping you become a better guitarist, just choose a song you like.

It's not the song itself that makes you improve, it's the process of learning it.

well some songs are going to be aimed towards certain techniques more than others. While his question is broad (too broad) it's still a valid one. It makes sense (to an extent) too. If you want alt picking for example, a song with mostly legato runs isn't going to do you as much good as if you were learning say, something by wylde.

But then again, you could just try alt picking the legato runs. And all of this is purely hypothetical, but I'm just trying to show that different songs are different when it comes to learning a technique. which brings me to my first question:

TS, what exactly are you trying to learn (faster is too general, no song can help you there, just play them faster)
i have a 'white guitar'
I assume you mean "Songs which are composed of guitar excersises"?

These songs do exist yes and are some of my favourite pieces of music:

Scarified - Racer X (VERY hard if you aren't used to speed but helped me a hella lot)
Technical Difficulties - Racer X
Get out of my Yard (the whole album, would help if you bought the DVD too, he pretty much states how he composes with various licks stuck toghether) - Paul Gilbert
Head Cuttin' Duel - Steve Vai (from the film "Crossroads")
Baroque and Roll - Yngwie Malmsteen

And another thing that'll help you will be, classical/baroque music.
Classical guitar not so much, though it'll help your finger picking and stuff.
But Violin, Piano, Cello etc arranged for a guitar. Some pieces from those eras are insanely fast. Check out Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.
make up ur own stuff man, its always more fun that way, not only will u increase speed but u may learn a couple things or make up a couple cool riffs along the way
Well... the best way to increase speed is to go slow so you can concentrate on what your fingers are doing and to build muscle memory. You can also cut down the movements while going slow so any really fast songs won't help you much overall.
Master of Puppets. The solo will take a while to get down while the rhythym will really help you increase your stamina.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Not sure what style or ability is...but I'd recommend some Children of Bodom. They're not to everyone's tastes, but I think they're one of the few bands that shred and don't shred mindlessly (Dragonforce).

I'm working on Bed of Razors right now and it's not too hard, maybe not the greatest speed booster though. Kissing the Shadows has a good lead going on almost all the time and some of them are pretty easy to get the hang of. A lot of other stuff off Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder are good (well all there albums have good songs, but for increasing speed, these are the best imho).
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Quote by invaderzim31
So im at a point with my guitar playing where the thing i lack most is speed. i know all the pentatonic boxes, modes, and melodic and harmonic minor, and i'm at a point where i'm happy enough with my phrasing and feel that i'd like to increase speed. Can any1 recommend me some actual songs (not practising methods, techniques, etc.) that will help me do this.

Cheers

Bark At The Moon - Ozzy Osbourne

I would suggest more, but you already know of Dream Theater.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Curse of Castle Dragon - Paul Gilbert
Revolution Deathsquad - DragonForce
In this River (solo) - Black Label Society
Farewell Ballad - Zakk Wylde
Scarified - Racer X
Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little boy - Mr Big
Arpeggios From hell - Malmsteen
My Teeth are a Drumset - Paul Gilbert

Have fun!