Hi mangs.
I did a search but didn't find anything useful. Basically im looking for some basslines with arpeggio use in them (Think in the style of the bassline in Megadeth - five magics, though i don't mind if its a genre that isnt metal ). Its a bonus if it has a pedaltone running throughout it. I love those sorts of basslines

And just as a bonus question, would a fender mexican standard p-bass be any good for thrash metal? I know it's sort of a difficult question because bass tones are less defined for musical genres (or so it seems to me!). I ask because im currently on a yamaha rbx170 and one day i'll probably want to buy something better. At the moment the P-bass takes my fancy.
The first thing that comes to mind is The Saddest Song by Streetlight Manifesto. It's probably not really the genre you're looking for though.
Cheers man i don't mind what genre it is really cause it's all fun and experience
I'll take a look once i do a thousand or so more words on this blasted essay. Nothing kills your practice time like university essays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2LTCf7x3k There's some pretty impressive arpeggios in there, although not in the context of a song.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quite a lot of ska songs use arpegios.
"Beer" by Reel Big Fish or "One step beyond" by Madness for example
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Anything by Black Sabbath. Geezer's playing style mostly revoles aroud using roots, fifths, octaves and the pentatonic scale.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by sam_ofzo
Quite a lot of ska songs use arpegios.
"Beer" by Reel Big Fish or "One step beyond" by Madness for example

i'd call beer more of a walking bassline because of it's feel

it's still an arpeggio but to me something like Hotel California is more of an arpeggio in the context TS is talking
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Thank you all for your suggestions (you're all so nice here in the bass forum, in the electric guitar forum i would have been torn to shreds probably).

Unfortunately its 1 30 am and i still have lots of work to do, but i'll check it all out when i have the time. Cheers.
Many Sublime songs revolve around the use of arpeggios. But as already mentioned, lots of ska basslines make the use of arpeggios.
Quote by moffshiggits
Many Sublime songs revolve around the use of arpeggios. But as already mentioned, lots of ska basslines make the use of arpeggios.

As do quite a bit of R & B and Motown/Stax. The first 10 bars or so of "Bernadette" are arpeggios (after the intro) for example.
Quote by smb

+1

Nice and simple, 3 or 4 nice arpeggios in there

2 or 3 sections of Anesthesia (pulling teeth) have arpeggios in. (around 1 min in through to about 2 mins)

And a section of orion has arpeggios in. The start of the bass led bit after 3 mins 44 is pretty much all arpeggio based.

Solo backing in Californication has arpeggios.

Plug in baby's bassline is arpeggios.

Theres loads.
Paper Tigers by Thrice has a pretty cool arpeggio bass run in the chorus. Eddie is a rather good bass player, check him out.
Quote by HoldFastHope
Paper Tigers by Thrice has a pretty cool arpeggio bass run in the chorus. Eddie is a rather good bass player, check him out.

Half of his basslines are generic roots, the other half make me feel as if my wrist is gonna break

Stare At The Sun has a nice one too.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by scawti
If you're looking in the style of Megadeth:
"Souls of Black" by Testament

Hah funnily enough i already know that bass line yet totally forgot about it.
Thanks all for your suggestions
pulling teethby metallica has some arpeggios in them
also, megadeth's song "crush em" has something sort of like that.
Quote by r04ch

And just as a bonus question, would a fender mexican standard p-bass be any good for thrash metal? I know it's sort of a difficult question because bass tones are less defined for musical genres (or so it seems to me!). I ask because im currently on a yamaha rbx170 and one day i'll probably want to buy something better. At the moment the P-bass takes my fancy.

Yeah a Fender Precision Bass would work. I use one and I play a bit of Thrash and Death Metal. Mine is also a Mexican Standard. Great Bass that can go anywhere but you should also check out the Jazz if possible.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
sam_ofzo
I just bumped into this thread, and i know i'm waaay late to the party, but the song you suggested, Beer by Reel Big Fish was awesome. Just wanted to thank you for the great help.