Page 1 of 2
Anyone got any feedback on ENGLs amps, specifically the blackmore

Now at the moment i have a marshall dsl401, and its good, better than some. But in a band situation it lacks that big sound i want. And the sound almost becomes sterile. So later on (probs a year or two) after getting the guitar, and i have enough money im thinking of buying a new amp. Now it would be between the mesa single recto, and the engl blackmore. Both of which im gona find very hard to try, although i might well do. Now from clips on youtube the ENGL seems to be a bigger sound. Now i like playing lots of stuff so need something versatile, i want something which can get that sabbath grind, with lots of mids. All the way up to megadeth, with a big, clear, sustained, rich, but not to fuzzy sound. Also i want decent cleans which i heard the ENGL has, and good overdrive tone for hendrix and such. Also if possible i wana be able to get a good gary moore/santana tone.

So in summary, for my cleans i want a shimmery fender style cleans, with that almost woody element. For light overdrive i want a lynard skynard/allman brothers sound. For distortion i want a sorta sabbathy sound/led zeplin/purple. And for heavy stuff i want something which can pull off megadeth/some metalicca with a big sounding bass etc.

And the 401 aint that badda amp, just wanting a big low end for heavy stuff, whilst having a nice marshall crunch for lighter stuff, nice blues SRV style overdrive, and shimmery cleans.
will it have as much balls and i need to still be able to archieve that vintage marshall crunch. And any other amps i should check out?
Actually let me rephrase...

Quote by Varkunus
So in summary, for my cleans i want a shimmery fender style cleans, with that almost woody element.

Orange can do this.

Quote by Varkunus
For light overdrive i want a lynard skynard/allman brothers sound.

Orange can do this.

Quote by Varkunus
For distortion i want a sorta sabbathy sound/led zeplin/purple. And for heavy stuff i want something which can pull off megadeth/some metalicca with a big sounding bass etc.

Orange can do this.
Last edited by iamtompublic at Apr 19, 2008,
I would say orange rocker 50 or ad 30 or a mesa boogie express
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by iamtompublic
I was thinking more of a Thunderverb, but any Orange is good!
Apparently, the RKV50 has more gain than the TV50.
These go to eleven...
i thought the blackmore's cleans were warmer rather than sparkly... the screamer has more sparkly cleans (but then its heavier rock and metal tones aren't as good as the blackmore's, in my opinion).

i haven't tried the single recto.

orange would do a lot of those tones, as suggested, but i don't think its cleans are all that sparkly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Apparently, the RKV50 has more gain than the TV50.

Really?

Ok didn't know that, I'd go for a Rockerverb 50 then.
hhhm yh but will it get that mesa low end, because besides the sparkly clean, my amp current amp has warm cleans, and can get close to a mesa sound, but cant quite make it. And to me, good OD and heavy distortion > cleans, so thats more what im worried about. But it needs to be able to get that mesa low end
i don't know about mesa low-end from a blackmore. it's more engl's take on a hot-rodded marshall, i think. EDIT: cranking it would probably help, but then if you're not able to crank it all the time...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well from what i can make out unlike the mesa, the engls cope very well at low volume anyway. But my problem is i love that marshall mid crunch, but want it wit the the mesa low end.

Anyway i found this vid and wondered what u guys think http://youtube.com/watch?v=RjkZHBJd5OY
oh yeah, engls sound very good at low volume. just mine (not a blackmore) doesn't really sound much like a mesa at low volumes, but sounds more like one the more you turn it up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Judging by a lot of the responses, I think that they want you to go Orange.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
lol they might want me to, but will it get the mesa low end, im sure everything else bril judging by there rep
i can sort this out!

i have one and it will be my main amp for many years!

its cleans are superb - thick and warm (bit like the mc said) but with that nice high end ring that reminds you of fender around the corner

the lead channels are just utterly superb - thick, heavy and with the recognized chest-thump low end!

such a great amp and may i remind you guys - built 1000x better than my Orange (hate to say it) but also 10kg lighter, crisper and better looking with the nice lights inside....hah

cabs are subj. but i use THD cause ive found nothing better and it does all styles better than say (mesa, which is slightly too heavy feeling for lighter stuff imo) but an Engl 4x12 is seemingly what they all use today (taken from my fav. bands Zep and Lizzy - using them) - just very heavy in weight.

at low volume - i have NEVER (not even mesa) heard an amp sound so good at low vol. - im talking 0.5-1.0!!! of course it lets rip at 5+ but gobsmacking - bear in mind this - my Rockerverb on 10, yes 10! is the equiv. of the Engl on 3-4 with it having some way to go!
so the Engl is the loudest 100w ive heard since the old SLPs

it has Blackmore's name on it......HE.KNOWS.HIS.STUFF.

hope that helps! and its dirt cheap for an amp that beats Orange and Mesa for me
yh from videos on tube i found it sounded alot rawer and more marshally than mesa. But my main concern is because it is such a loud amp, will i ever be able to get lovely overdriven tones without being at stadium volume? Because at jams i have my dsl at about 4.5 which is the max the drummer can keep up with. And also will the blackmore do good vintage tones, such as zep and cream, aswell as liquidy leads like santana, and gary moore. BTW i proberly wouldnt buy a 412, to impractical for me so it would have to be a 212, and what would you recommend, because im new to this stack bussiness and hear cabs make as much difference as the head
an engl 2x12 would def. do the trick or a mesa or orange - any of the higher end cabs depending on your budget!

NOT the marshalls though - all the 2x12s above have as much low end and thump as standard 1960a cabs

the Engl is quite amazingly loud! i saw Gorham using a few stacks of them and two cabs were mic'd - i took some photos and saw he had these amps on 5 - loud enough to cover the 2000+ St Davids Hall - so clearly no problem - but like i mentioned above, it has a great preamp which means it sounds great at 1. im guessing that the equiv. vol. of your DSL at 4.5 is about the engl on 1.5 from my experience....guess.

all the sounds you mentioned - yes! all done by it!
much much better than a DSL. its pretty much like a Soldano in terms of hot-rodded extreme Marshall will all the benefits + a load more, including build quality
hhhm, im really struggling to find decent vintage clips, cause everyone who owns one just just mainly metal. Could some of you guys find me some vintage clips of the blackmore, and i have looked.
Quote by Varkunus
And also will the blackmore do good vintage tones, such as zep and cream, aswell as liquidy leads like santana, and gary moore.

yeah, it probably will. maybe not just as good as amps solely aimed at vintage tones, but it should do them well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would recommend ENGL over anything, except maybe something higher up if thats the tone you want. My Powerball can get stuff from punky tones, to jazzy leads, to blind guardian type leads, to brutal death metal tones. Its an amazing amp. The blackmore is actually based off of the Powerball and has much less gain, yet still a lot.

The Blackmore will do everything you want and then some, however, if you are not going to go towards metal, an Orange might be better.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
i thought the blackmore was more like a stripped-down savage?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought the blackmore was more like a stripped-down savage?

Well richie blackmore used to own a modded powerball....so im not really sure. I just think of the savage as a ****ty blackmore =D
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Well richie blackmore used to own a modded powerball....so im not really sure. I just think of the savage as a ****ty blackmore =D

well, no it isnt hahaha

but, i do believe the schems are based on a Savage - due to a simple look at ye old site of web (as Blackmore would prob. say today)

*ARTIST EDITION: Perfectly designed for the sound desires of guitar hero RITCHIE BLACKMORE. Based on the successful Savage technology, this amp delivers perfect performance matched, fine tuned sounds from clean, crunch to high gain lead. A wide range of killer tones in an exceptionally easy to handle package: A sound fanaticís dream come true. Just BURN!!!*

let the tones speak volumes! if you could find any!

bloody hell, the Blackmore does have a lot of gain - even for todays metal - just it wont do that horrible Nile or DOOMMETALBRUTALZ etc metal - but whoever plays that usually is a bit odd or half deaf - id personally play that stuff with some bricks in a cement mixer - similar sound i found (then of course, vocals provided by Lionel Richie attacked by a chainsaw)

and that UG, is what really grinds my gears. good byes.
i haven't tried the savage, but i do have a savage se, and the blackmore is the engl (out of those i've tried, anyway) which reminds me most of mine (only stripped down, and doesn't get just as modern...)...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well im not going for modern tones really, sorta up to megadeth/pantera and anything before that
it will def. do megadeth

and its bright enough for the sharp pantera tone - on max gain - it will do it.
I saw Megadeth a month or so ago and their new guitarist was using Engl stuff so if it gets the Mustaine seal of approval it must be ok! lol
ok so im pretty sure for all my heavy stuff it will be immense, but what about for my cleans, and fluidy overdrive along with middy marshall crunch, to beefer, but not agressive sounding tony iommi>?
btw - its Chris who uses em, not Dave from the band - i think he's using the SE or Powerballs - has a nice tone.

very good Marshall crunch - because thats what Ritchie wanted too and of course the cleans have to be good for him too - he plays the cleans a lot in Blackmore's Night (shiver)

cleans are a lot better with a Strat - but still - if you think about a DSL or 5150 or XXX etc - it kills em all!
hhhhm, will it get that unsaturated sabbath sound like from sabbath blood sabbath. And dave doom you got any clips?
clips soon mate - when i have a nice recording area set up

ive got that sound before - but you do need to crank it a bit

since the word saturated (not un-) is from the power tubes workin themselves into a sweat

therefore it cant be imitated that well.
Quote by davedoom
it will def. do megadeth

+1

if anything, that's almost the tone it's aimed at on the higher gain channels... that 80s hot-rod marshall kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hhhm i also like lots of 70s stuff, thing is i would buy a marshall but i really crave that big low end agressive sound
that sounds like one of the not-so-modern engls to me, then. e.g. blackmore, savage (based on my savage se) etc. possibly invader (haven't tried that one).

if you don't mind me asking, though, what country are you in? that affects prices etc. a lot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
think of it as an amp that will do Marshall - then grab it, turn it around, pull its pants down and spank it to death!
but the Powerball is not great at vintage or low gain stuff.

its the way the voicing is. it just wont do it.

i would personally say, too much gain.
+1 on the Blackmore, great amp IMO. Does the hotrodded Marshall pretty well, and can take you well into metal territory with it's gain. Boost it with a OD/clean boost, and you can get some modern tones pretty easily. Really liked it's hotrodded Marshall 80's sounds.

Quote by Dave_Mc
that sounds like one of the not-so-modern engls to me, then. e.g. blackmore, savage (based on my savage se) etc. possibly invader (haven't tried that one).

if you don't mind me asking, though, what country are you in? that affects prices etc. a lot.

same to me, I liked it lot compared to other ENGL's I've tried, seemed like a completely different animal. If it were between the BM and a single rec, I think it smokes the recto. Doesn't have the huge lowend of the dual rectifier, but has can hold it's own if you EQ it right. That was the only thing I wanted a little more of with that amp.

Invader is kind of poo IMO, didn't like it's tones at all comparitively. Didn't do the ultra high gain as well as a savage or PB, and didn't do the more classic tones as well as the BM. Very disappointed hearing that amp for the cash.

Like Dave said, where you are located is going to determine what the best deals are for your money.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Page 1 of 2