Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. What is a common percentage for a guitar shop to let you barter off a guitar for example. I heard somewhere that it was around 30%?

Thanks
jihedley
If they already have it down from "M.S.R.P" you ain't getting 30. If you notice, most prices @ G/C have a G/C price under the M.S.R.P. I'd say a 15 to 20% discount at the most. If I think about it, I'll ask my buddy that works there and post back.
I got a shop in Manchester down 20% on my Blues Junior. Then once I was satisfied at the price, I then started bartering for free strings, plectrums etc.

Taking hard cash off the sale price costs the shop as much as you are saving. Throwing in free strings etc costs the shop trade price, but saves you retail price.

Then again, there is a shop here in Belfast that has 20% added on to the general highstreet price of guitars, purely so once you show interest, they can give you a "special 20% discount".
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
^ I've seen that before, you think 'ooh, discount', then look around some more and find everywhere else has the discounted price
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
If Its at MSRP you could prob get between 20-30% off.
I talked with my salesman at a local shop for a little while about getting a new Fender American standard strat and he gave me 30% off I got my strat $30 cheaper than musiciansfriend etc.
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Dean ML Select
Customized Schecter Omen-6
Taylor 214e
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960 cab
Cube 15
Vox Wah
Blues Driver BD-2

Quote by Chordzzz
can you fuсk it?

Quote by nebiru
Oh I will find a way.
Quote by Matt_M_2002
Then again, there is a shop here in Belfast that has 20% added on to the general highstreet price of guitars, purely so once you show interest, they can give you a "special 20% discount".

would that be marcus?

oh, also to jihedly:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/barter
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/haggle

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jihedley
Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. What is a common percentage for a guitar shop to let you barter off a guitar for example. I heard somewhere that it was around 30%?

Thanks
jihedley

Are you looking to buy from a shop in Newcastle? Im in Newcastle too and found the easiest to barter with were Soundcontrol, managed to get £19 and 3 sets of strings thrown in with my American Fender Strat which was already discounted by £180.

*No advertising in signature*
Got it in one Dave.

All the shops here aren't really the best anyway. Dublin is pretty good. But my favourite has to be Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester.

I think if you are going to bring them down in price, you need to make sure you are speaking to someone who has the power to bring it right down. It would probably also be helpful to print off an example of an online store price and keep it in your pocket - if needs be, show it.

Biggest advice I can give is, set your price limit before you walk in, and don't be afraid to walk out without the gear.
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
zw44 yeh I was going to get a guitar in newcastle. I got my second guitar from sound control but i was young and stupid and didnt bring the price down or anything . But yeh ive had good dealings with them. I may try to see what i can get . Thanks zw44

jihedley
^^ thanks!

agreed about haggling. you need to not have a daft price in mind, but obviously knowing you can get it for less elsewhere means that's not a daft price... you need to do your homework.

some of the shops in dublin are good, but the prices are daft.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol dave_mc. sorry i didnt give you thanks and everyone else on the thread. Im half asleep . Dublins to far away for me but thanks for the help anyways .
^ don't worry, i was saying thanks to the post above yours, i wasn't being sarcastic!

But i appreciate it all the same.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?