Okay so I obviously gots me a guitar, but I'd like to know how is the best way for me to learn. I don't want to take lessons, because I'm broke, so far I've just been reading tabs and hoping that I'd get familiar with the sounds of the guitar, so when I want to make something of my own, I know what notes and chords to hit. Reading tabs kinds of blows though, and I don't care about learning other's people music at this point. I just want to find a way to learn what to hit in order to make whatever sound I've got imagined.
The first thing for you to learn is a little bit of theory - learn your scales and chords. You can see what notes make up what scales and the scale patterns that transfer across the neck of the guitar, and you can see what notes make up what chords and, thus, what notes sound good when played together. From there, you can learn what scales sound good over what chords, and you'll have a little basis for songwriting.

Hope this helps, and good luck with what you decide to do.

-GP
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
i agree with gunpowder. i started taking lessons after nine months of playing, but in the first nine months i just found stuff online. i think a teacher is better if you aren't good at organizing all of the scales and organization, but im sure if you had questions you could just ask in the forum.
I believe that self-teaching is the best way to learn, but you may need a teacher to show you some things that you should or shouldn't do, like getting off bad habits, cause bad habits kill.

I also agree with GP, learn some basic theory in order to understand a bit what you're doing, why and why does it sound good or not, but also develop your guitar skills by playing exercises, practicing slowly at first (very slowly... probably slower than you could imagine), and experiment. With some experimentation, you'll discover new sounds, and thus, be able to put new things in your songwriting.

And please, learn how to change the strings on your guitar. When they get a bit old, change them before one of them breaks and scratch you, maybe an eye. You don't wanna be half blind cause of your guitar, right ? Generally, people change their strings after 2-3 months.

Another thing, you'll probably find out on many website that they say that learning some other instruments helps you for songwriting with your instrument. Well, I agree with that. Once you'll get better with the guitar, you should try maybe the bass, drums, keyboards, violin or even singing. Get a basic level of technique for other instruments. There's no need to be a master there, only being able to play a bit is enough.

Good luck mate, I hope you'll write good music soon, and you'll see, it's addictive once you can write a good song
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Yes, so I've heard but I also hear self-teaching is impossible. I'll do it though, I mean I've already made some cool sounds Im personally proud of, so I might as well keep going. Lol now to show you how much of a goon I am, correct me if I'm wrong, but a scale is basically a section of frets on the guitar, right?
Quote by Gunpowder
The first thing for you to learn is a little bit of theory - learn your scales and chords. You can see what notes make up what scales and the scale patterns that transfer across the neck of the guitar, and you can see what notes make up what chords and, thus, what notes sound good when played together. From there, you can learn what scales sound good over what chords, and you'll have a little basis for songwriting.

Hope this helps, and good luck with what you decide to do.

-GP

yea what he said
Well... I don't think you should start with theory until you can actually play song or two. If you start with theory you're not going to enjoy it.
Lessons here on UG has helped me with a lot of stuff so check them out.
Quote by hxc-violinist
Yes, so I've heard but I also hear self-teaching is impossible.

It's not impossible but realy hard, if your not 100% determined it is going to feel like teaching yourself to ride bike with no legs. No matter how hard you will try you will feel like your not getting anywhere. Just make sure to be determined and dont stop. So what if you suck, the only way to get better is to keep going. I have been trying to play for about 11 years now and I have finaly able to take lessons. I never gave up though, I can only play bits and peices of different songs but thsta better than nothing right?

So dont give up and it wont be impossible.
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
you might get upset if I say this, but nothing replaces a teacher. searching tabs is a good way to learn along with some lessons, but you must get a teacher if you want to be good at guitar.