hey i live in Australia and am looking at a new guitar.
i been tossing up between the epiphone g400 custom and the kramer striker custom.
i dunno which to get, i like to play everything, but i mainly like to play buckethead (well the parts that i can), led zeppelin, rhcp, frank zappa, mettalica, bits of steve vai and jimi hendrix. i lie a lot of stuff.
but i dont know which to get
i really like the ibanez s470 but i dont think that my playing abilities could justify such a purchase
so its between the two or if you have any suggestions please let me know

(also sorry for this thread too i know how many poeple do it but it helps)
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
I would suggest the g400 it seems you like to play more rock than anything else but this guitar can play almost anything, also what other gear have you got which amp etc..?
I would suggest g400 also. its a pretty awesome guitar. I havent played the custom one, I really didnt like how it looked...but if you are set for that one then get it, if not I would suggest you buy the 1966 reissue or whatever. it has a full pickguard instead...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
new kramers are absoloute s**t, i'd go for the SG.

its a strange option of guitars you have there, hard tail mahogany set neck guitar versus a floating LFR bolt on thats likely to be plywood.

I've played both a vintage (worn brown) G400 and a kramer striker 424 i think, the kramer was awful, everything about it felt and looked cheap, where as the G400 was amazing, it played as good as a gibson, looks the part to suit all kinds of music and had the good tone range, the only problem i felt with it was the neck dive, as soon as you let go it drops, if i had one i would re-position the strap button and probably put a beefier tune-o-matic bridge on it as that was the cheapest looking part on it, i'm sure a one off a gibson les paul would give it an even better feel, tone and sustain.

G400, no-brainer.

------------------------------------------
1994 Jackson PS-4 with bill lawrence XL500 bridge.
1986 Kramer Focus 3000 All original electronics+hardware =]
2004 B.C.Rich Warlock Platinum String-thru.
1990 Epihone SG 310?
2006 Custom made Explorer with Dean Headstock.
2005 Epiphone Thunderbird IV bass.
1978 Randall Sustainer 140 Head unit.
2006 Peavey 115 bass combo.
Various Cabs.
Last edited by markramer at Apr 19, 2008,
if you like the S470 go for it, i bought my second guitar when i had only played for 6 months, i was terrible, but that nice guitar prompted me to really want to improve my playing. and i still love the thing. if you like the S470, don't worry about your skills as a player, it's what you like most that matters.
Quote by Milkywaykid1
yeah but its a bit more pricey...

the g400 1966 reissue costs more than the g400 custom?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by markramer
new kramers are absoloute s**t, i'd go for the SG.

its a strange option of guitars you have there, hard tail mahogany set neck guitar versus a floating LFR bolt on thats likely to be plywood.

I've played both a vintage (worn brown) G400 and a kramer striker 424 i think, the kramer was awful, everything about it felt and looked cheap, where as the G400 was amazing, it played as good as a gibson, looks the part to suit all kinds of music and had the good tone range, the only problem i felt with it was the neck dive, as soon as you let go it drops, if i had one i would re-position the strap button and probably put a beefier tune-o-matic bridge on it as that was the cheapest looking part on it, i'm sure a one off a gibson les paul would give it an even better feel, tone and sustain.

G400, no-brainer.

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=328

Body: North American Alder.

Learn to read, assclown.

As for the choice, here's a more balanced analysis.

The Kramer is a more metal-oriented guitar. It's possible to play rock on it, certainly, but the ridiculous output pickups, Floyd, and overall styling lend it more to heavier music. If you don't want to deal with a Floyd you could also pick up the other Custom with the TOM bridge. It's a shame the coil tap does nothing on the Kramer except for on the middle pickup, however.

The G400 is a bit more classic but is different. I personally do not like SGs all that much because of their unbalanced nature, and the G400 is no exception. It does play rather nicely, but no more so than the Kramer. The Kramer played equally well and has two extra frets to boot if you're into the double-octave thing, but I personally do not use 23 and 24 so I didn't care.

One thing of note is that SGs are also structurally weak guitars known for breaking at the headstock, and since the G400 is virtually identical in construction they are no exception to the rule. If they get knocked over, you can kiss the headstock goodbye. Or if you leave it in a hot car, which you shouldn't do anyway xD.

Both are fine guitars, but I would say that the Kramer is a better deal simply because it's more balanced and ergonomic. But it's your choice.

**EDIT: I might also add that bolt-ons are not necessarily better than set necks. Set necks are set in by glue, which dampens vibrations and higher end response, which accounts for many of the tonal differences between bolt-on and set neck guitars. Sustain is a non issue as well, since wood-to-wood contact is better than wood-glue-wood contact. As long as a bolt-on is made correctly there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I bit the bullet and bought a Steinberger Spirit, made in the same facilities as the Kramer, and it sustains quite nicely and sounds just fine - I'm a convert. That said, neck-throughs are the ultimate in tone and sustain, but they cost a bit more usually.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Last edited by Mo Jiggity at Apr 19, 2008,
yeah i do like the custom more anyways. and id be playing it through an orange 30R amp
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
I'd say Striker Custom only cause I own one and love it. Its great for the price. Order it through Music Yo though if you do, as they are really good incase something is wrong with it when you receive it or look up Tomi-O Music, he'll send to Australia also.

...and to the bonehead that wrote its a plywood body, do your research. The 80's Strikers were bottom of the food chain in the Kramer line with plywood bodies and total crap. The new ones are alder and mine is actually a 2 piece body.

The only reason why I wrote this post is why do people assume that just because a guitar is bolt on that its crap? Please get off the neck-thru bandwagon. If bolt ons are so bad, why is the Strat one of the best guitars ever made? or a tele? and most used and if its so bad then why does Mr Tone Junky himself Eric Johnson use a bolt on neck? If the guitar has a well made neck joint and sits in there tighter then an 18yr old virgin I'd rather have that then glue in between my joints. Besides, if your neck goes on a neck-thru you are f*cked
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
it seems like you like playing a lot of stuff... ouldnt go for either if i were u, id go with a schecter c-1 of some sort. i love those guitars, im saving for one right now.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
I'd get the G-400, I've been super pleased with mine and prefer it to my Kramer (an 80s Stagemaster).
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2