I'm finally having my first custom built. I was just wondering, what do you guys know about mandolin frets? Why exactly, do some people like them, as opposed to (the much bigger) jumbo frets? Any pros and cons? Imagine you're a who relies almost solely on playing touchstyle. Would they be what you needed? Or would Jumbo suit you better?
Personally I think tiny frets are the way to go. Mandolin and banjo frets. Lakland has it right, the smaller the fret the better. Smaller frets give you a more precise sound I think... it's got the comfort and expression of a fretless with the precision of a fretted.

Also, lower action is attainable because of smaller frets, and (a big plus to me) is tiny frets give a tremendous sound when tapping.
haha
However, one disadvantage of small frets is that they wear out quicker, so you will need to get the bass refretted slightly more often.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
My '51 P has vintage/small frets, and they do feel and play quite, quite differently. The string rides much closer to the fingerboard and you can definitely scrape your fingerboard with the string. It does give you a bit cleaner glissando, but you may or may not enjoy the way the frets "play".
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Watch the BP LIVE! 07 interview with Lee Sklar. He uses mando frets and discusses it a bit in his interview.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..