ok, I know there is already a thread about recording softwares etc. but I want a fast answer.

I have audacity atm and recording with "Gearbox" on my Line6 TonePort GX. What I want to be able to do is record a riff, and then add 2 or 3 different tracks including different instruments. Like drums, bass, synth, vocals(?) etc. Basically like a program where you create your own music from a library of different sounds, but I also record my own guitar. I don't think I can do this on audacity.

So I would like some tips on what program supports this. Of course it shouldn't be to complex with 5 million settings and so on since Im a beginner in recording but I want to take my recording to the next step from just normal recording in audacity. Price doesn't really matter, but of course it's good if they're not too expensive.

A list of what softwares that I could look into would be great so I have som different options in different price ranges.

Thanks in advance.
you could make the tracks using different instruments in guitar pro, and export as .wav?

EDIT: then put it all together in audacity? maybe
Well, that sounds a little complicated. There must be a program that can handle what Im asking for. I'll try that out though.
try fruityloops (paying) or slayer (lower quality, but it's totally free
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

i think you can do this with cubase or nuendo but they're both really expensive and you'll also need drum and oder vsts.
ok, I'll look into those Feel free to add any programs you like. I don't want to buy something before I know it's good.

edit: is Mixcraft for free? Because on their website I can either "buy" it or "download" it. I guess you won't get the full program if you download, but I might as well ask.
Last edited by xaedon at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by xaedon
ok, I'll look into those Feel free to add any programs you like. I don't want to buy something before I know it's good.

edit: is Mixcraft for free? Because on their website I can either "buy" it or "download" it. I guess you won't get the full program if you download, but I might as well ask.

Well, free for the first 7 days I found, then you were locked out till you paid.

But its a free, full trial.

You're best bet is to get a "free" copy of Cubase and read up on how to use, and/or download a trial copy of FL Studio (Fruity Loops) and mess around with it before you paying for it.

Another good thing, is that Cubase and FL Studio (and Reason etc) can all be used together as VSTi plugins.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by Pure_Morning

You're best bet is to get a "free" copy of Cubase

UG doesn't support suggesting getting "free" versions of expensive software.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.