Hey

I write and record on my own with my gear at home.. But because Im on my own I only ever really write acoustic songs. I wanna have a go at riffing and recording something heavy but really dont know where to begin. Any tips?
well first you might want to have an electric guitar with some decent distortion. i think you might want to start there
A solid recording program, a program to lay down beats, a good mic, a decent preamp, a decent amp, and great distortion. That's "all" you'll need.

I say "great" distortion simply because you will want distortion that you can play around with/tweak the parameters, because all the extra tones in distorted sound makes it very hard to record decently.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Anyone have any success plugging their amp straight into their computers (ie through the line out/headphones on the amp)? Or do you guys use nice, expensive mics?

I'm pretty noob at recording.
Quote by demonofthenight
Anyone have any success plugging their amp straight into their computers (ie through the line out/headphones on the amp)? Or do you guys use nice, expensive mics?

I'm pretty noob at recording.

I go through the line out, and then use Acid Pro to try and make it all a bit nicer. I'm still very much a beginner though.

TS: What equipment have you got as of now? And are you asking about how to write a heavier song, or how to go about recording one?
Amp directly into computer? It's just that you're going to get flat, flat, flat sound. You'd be much better off buying a cheapo mic with a micro plug and plug that into your soundcard. Even tho that'll sound crappy as well, you might as well take advantage of the natural acoustics in your room(or wherever you're playing). That will at least give you the advantage of being able to mess around with amp and mic placement which will give you different sound options.

EDIT: btw, since you'll most likely have the amp on in the same space as your computer, a good pair of headphones is a MUST.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination