A REALLY important question about downgrading (or upgrading) from Vista to XP

Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

As I'm sure many of you Vista users may be, you are absolutely fed up with Vista, as well I am.

Now I want to UPGRADE to XP.

Now heres the question:

Since I can't fork over the $100 for a retail copy, I discovered that my mom has a reinstallation disk for XP Media Center edition that came with her Dell back in '05. Now will I be able to change to XP with the disc that came as a backup for my mom's computer?

Btw, if I can manage to get XP running, and I'm absolutely positive that it's working 100 %, how do I delete Vista (or will XP just overwrite it). Also, if someone can tell me how to delete Vista, put it in dumb-guy talk. I'm not exactly a computer whiz.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
why are you fed up?

got service pack 1?

and afaik, unless your going to dual boot, you'll need to reformat your hard drive

I have SP1. My printer doesn't work. Everythings slow as hell. I miss the days when computer was easy (the days of XP).

Also, whenever I put stuff on a flash drive to work at school, I can't tranfers docs because the computers at my school are Xp.

And no, I don't wanna dual-boot.
As much as I hate to disappoint you, I've been told its a bad a idea to downgrade to XP. I hear its because of the way they design it for vista... You should still try because I completely hate Vista myself, but you should check your security settings and firewall and stuff... I hear that it slows everything down alot...
Quote by MattIsTheCosby
I have SP1. My printer doesn't work. Everythings slow as hell. I miss the days when computer was easy (the days of XP).

Also, whenever I put stuff on a flash drive to work at school, I can't tranfers docs because the computers at my school are Xp.

You're kidding about the flash drive right?

If you save in the same format, it will transfer over. If you're using Office 2007, which saves in .docx (not .doc) standard, then I see what your problem is. Or if you're saving using Works, which saves in .wps standard. But that can be fixed by just dropping down the window and choosing .doc.

You might also have some issues with drivers, as they were built for Vista.

And if someone says get a Mac, I swear to god, I'll fucking ban them.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by zosozeppelin_68
As much as I hate to disappoint you, I've been told its a bad a idea to downgrade to XP. I hear its because of the way they design it for vista... You should still try because I completely hate Vista myself, but you should check your security settings and firewall and stuff... I hear that it slows everything down alot...

Well, all of my songs and photos are backed up and I have Vista recovery discs for my computer. So if something gets scewed up, I can restore the computer to its original fctory condition.
Quote by MattIsTheCosby
Hey guys,

As I'm sure many of you Vista users may be, you are absolutely fed up with Vista, as well I am.

Now I want to UPGRADE to XP.

Now heres the question:

Since I can't fork over the $100 for a retail copy, I discovered that my mom has a reinstallation disk for XP Media Center edition that came with her Dell back in '05. Now will I be able to change to XP with the disc that came as a backup for my mom's computer?

Btw, if I can manage to get XP running, and I'm absolutely positive that it's working 100 %, how do I delete Vista (or will XP just overwrite it). Also, if someone can tell me how to delete Vista, put it in dumb-guy talk. I'm not exactly a computer whiz.

TBH it'll work - I've done that many a time with PC's, and so long as you have all the numbers it needs, then its' fine. So far as deleting Vista, just slapping the xp disk won;t work as it'll go 'how dare you try and downgrade yourself!' So the best thing you can do really is format the hard drive/s, then start afresh
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by MattIsTheCosby

that's not because of vista. @ my school they have like windows 2000 or older. and I can perfectly transfer my files from one to the other
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
You're kidding about the flash drive right?

If you save in the same format, it will transfer over. If you're using Office 2007, which saves in .docx (not .doc) standard, then I see what your problem is. Or if you're saving using Works, which saves in .wps standard. But that can be fixed by just dropping down the window and choosing .doc.

You might also have some issues with drivers, as they were built for Vista.

(Idk, if i double posted, sorry Mr. Moderator if I did.)

My comp doesn't run Word and it doesn't save in .doc. Like I said my printer nevers works because of compatibility issues. My moms runs XP so I can't print in on her computer and all the computers at my school are Xp. Meaning that if I don't finished a report, I'm ****ed.
I discovered that my mom has a reinstallation disk for XP Media Center edition that came with her Dell back in '05

unfortunatly that dell cd has a 95% chance of it working with a non dell computer.

and yeah you will need to reformat your computer so, save all important docs/vids/music/pictures and anything else you will need. and make sure you have the drivers for the computer (drivers for motherboard stuff, usualy up to date drivers can be found on manufacturers websites. but once you reformat you wont have the driver for internet so get them before hand). in short have fun and if your not also using a dell then i wouldnt even try reformatting
Your computer doesn't run word?

meaning you don't have word or for some reason word doesn't work?

Also RAM is so cheap currently you may as well buy a few sticks and upgrade yur RAM to 2gb or even 4gb
Quote by xsouldriverx
unfortunatly that dell cd has a 95% chance of it working with a non dell computer.

and yeah you will need to reformat your computer so, save all important docs/vids/music/pictures and anything else you will need. and make sure you have the drivers for the computer (drivers for motherboard stuff, usualy up to date drivers can be found on manufacturers websites. but once you reformat you wont have the driver for internet so get them before hand). in short have fun and if your not also using a dell then i wouldnt even try reformatting

OK, like I said I'm not bright with computers, so someone tell how to reformat in as little words as possible.
Quote by MattIsTheCosby
(Idk, if i double posted, sorry Mr. Moderator if I did.)

My comp doesn't run Word and it doesn't save in .doc. Like I said my printer nevers works because of compatibility issues. My moms runs XP so I can't print in on her computer and all the computers at my school are Xp. Meaning that if I don't finished a report, I'm ****ed.

What software do you use to type papers?
How much memory do you have?
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
What software do you use to type papers?
How much memory do you have?

Works Word Precessor, which saves files in .wps format.

And onle 1GB of RAM (too slow for Vista home premium)
Upgrade to 2gb and when saving in Works, drop down the menu where it says .wps and save it to Word 97-2003 format, which is .doc.

Works comes with every PC, Vista or XP, ever since Microsoft stopped releasing Office with their computers.
Sent from my iPad.
so basically...things run slow because you don't have enough RAM, your printer doesn't work because you're a n00b, and the same goes for transferring stuff to your school computer.

none of which is vista's fault, really
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by mfinnan101
Advice for Vista - Don't use Vista

you bumped a week old thread to make a completely unoriginal and unfounded statement like that?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
you bumped a week old thread to make a completely unoriginal and unfounded statement like that?

What's Works?
answers.yahoo.ca
It has all the answers,... I think from a few professional too
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
You do know Microsoft plan to replace it as soon as next year, and that no businesses are using it and probably won't ever. I don't ever see my college switching to it. How about all its failed promises?

Here's how to install XP
1)
The first step is to set up the partitions on your hard drive.
I used gparted. You can download it from here.
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-livecd-0.3.4-11.iso?modtime=1197927842&big_mirror=0
Burn the ISO to a disk and boot from it. As for when you are prompted to choose configurations just choose just default. The GUI it loads is pretty straight forward to use. The easiest thing to do is shrink the Vista partition (OS) and create a new partition depending on whether you wan to dual boot or not.
If you don't want to dual boot, boot from the XP setup disk select the Vista partition when prompted where to install XP and select the option to format to NTFS.

2)
The next thing is to install XP by booting from the XP setup disk. Depending on the drivers installed on the disk it may not recognise the hard drive. You may have to sllipstream drivers depending on how old the XP setup disk is. (That's not hard don't worry)
When I installed XP on my laptop I tried about 3 disks before I found one that worked.
During the installation the only main choice you will be given is the partition you want XP installed on. The newly created partition or the Vista partition is the one you want. If it asks you to format the partition select leave it intact. If you don't want dual boot Format the Vista partition.

3)
After XP is installed XP and only XP will boot (don't worry Vista is still there). The reason for this is that XP has now overwritten the Vista bootloader. But this is easy fix.
The next thing you want are XP drivers.
Install them in the following order:

Desktop/Notebook System Software (if applicable)
Chipset
Video
Audio
Everything else
It's very important to install the chipset driver and system software first. If you don't it could lead to all sort of faults down the road.

4)
Now you need to update windows using windows update. This is very important - a lot of XP setup disks lack many essential updates.

5)
Now that XP has been installed and updated with all of the essential drivers the last thing you need to do is configure XP and Vista in a dual boot, should you want it.
To do that download Easybcd from here:
http://www.softslist.com/download-11-14-68898.html
Again the GUI is pretty easy to use. The first thing to do is use EasyBCD to re-install the Vista bootloader.
Then you can add XP using the OS entries option.
It is also possible to configure the dual boot using command prompt but EasyBCD is much easier to use.

If anyone wants to tell me the exact computer you have I could find links to drivers and post them here.
Last edited by mfinnan101 at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by mfinnan101
Advice for Vista - Don't use Vista

After giving that advice, why oh why I have seen you post this before?

You're obviously technically capable, and can understand that Vista is actually a good OS, as long as you have the hardware to run it properly.
I had a local computer tech try to install XP on this new Toshiba laptop. He tried everything to no avail, even contacting Toshiba support. This guy knows computers. In the end I'm convinced that Toshiba and probably a few other computer makers have an agreement with Microsoft wherein the newer computers are designed to not "accept" XP. I know this may sound ridiculous to some. I got fed up with Vista not working with peripherals, no voice in yahoo chat, built in webcam not working, Vista would not work with Microsoft's own anti-virus program, etc. I went to Ubuntu and really liked it but, there are several things it won't do well. What I really wanted was a dual boot; XP/Ubuntu. When I get back stateside I'll give it another go. I installed SP1 for Vista last night and I'm crossing my fingers hoping Microsoft's SP1 has some good fixes. I just wish they'd refine their OS's more before they release them to the public. We the public are the testbed I guess. Good luck with your Vista woes.
Quote by saphrax

You're obviously technically capable, and can understand that Vista is actually a good OS, as long as you have the hardware to run it properly.

Looking at Vista and comparing XP and Vista, the only things Vista offers are directX 10 and the new interface.
DirectX 10 - It's still in early days and drivers are quite problematic at the moment, so that's going to take time mature
Interface - Believe it or not XP can be modded to incorporate all the Visual tweaks in Vista.

Vista is a very buggy, bloated and problematic OS that still lacks a lot of basic compatibilities. It will probably mature after maybe Service Pack 2/3. One thing you could do is strip down the installation stopping short of basic functionality (Get the setup disk down to 1 CD) - The end result would be an operating system no better than XP with DirectX 10 support.
I remember XP being quite buggy when it came out, It was also a killer on system resources ( but Nearly as much as Vista) - I remember XP slowing my old pentium based desktop to a crawl after it came out hence I stuck with 2000/98 until service pack2 for XP. What really annoys me about Vista is the way Microsoft pushed it on everybody after it came out - They even got together with Intel to further reinforce the "Vista Ready PCs" lie. Don't believe me? Look it up.
I have seen Sales Assistants talking people out of buying Laptops with Vista not because of the laptop itself but because of Vista. It's no wonder Microsoft are losing ground to Apple and Linux.
I've always maintained if there were a lot more application support for Linux I would have switched a LONG time ago.
Unlike XP, Vista has also been demonized by tech blogs and Mac commercials. When XP came out, information about certain things was so much more difficult to get, thus it was still a bad operating system when it was released. Vista in the beginning is just like XP in the beginning and same goes for every other OS Microsoft will release. I do not like the fact that Microsoft pushed it on so many people. Every store you goto will not have a computer that has XP on it. Seriously though, XP would be getting so much more **** if it was released today rather than 6 years ago.

That's what everyone is missing out on. The minute Vista screws up for someone once, they're like "Ah, why didn't I listen to the advice?" It's almost like people are looking for ways to crash their system. I really don't find that much wrong with the operating system.
Sent from my iPad.
Think about it, It's easier for microsoft to release a buggy problem ridden OS rather than do the right thing and delay the release.
Well, I knew that, so I don't know what you're trying to prove (assuming that the statement you have made is directed towards me). All I'm saying is that if they continue this, every Microsoft OS will continue to be demonized by computer magazines, blogs, and mac commercials.

Oh by the way, did you guys know that Bill Gates is the reason why Steve Jobs continues to hold his position? Gates has a huge amount of stock in Apple and he may be the reason why Apple is still around.
Sent from my iPad.
that made me laugh out loud. I opened this thread going, "oh man, some mac snob is gonna come in here and tell him to... oh wait. no they won't."
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by paintITblack39

Oh by the way, did you guys know that Bill Gates is the reason why Steve Jobs continues to hold his position? Gates has a huge amount of stock in Apple and he may be the reason why Apple is still around.

That sounds a little sensationalist to me. If you've got some good evidence of this, it would be interesting.

I'd say that Jobs is still at the top of the Mac Empire because he's a charismatic character, can deliver a good speech and has become the "face" of Mac releases. I'd dare say that his management skills are pretty good as well.

Quote by BigFatSandwich
that made me laugh out loud. I opened this thread going, "oh man, some mac snob is gonna come in here and tell him to... oh wait. no they won't."

TBH, I think it should become a rule.

PaintITBlack - What do you think? Mac fanboys can join the pear posters?
Last edited by saphrax at Apr 26, 2008,
I think esthermouse described it best. Any slowness you're getting is most likely due to lack of RAM (or your router if it's internetz we're talking about) and just listen to everything PIB said about saving things in the word processor.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Quote by mfinnan101
Think about it, It's easier for microsoft to release a buggy problem ridden OS rather than do the right thing and delay the release.

there is only so much you can do in closed testing before you need to release it to the public

You can't test everything in beta you need a real world audience, one that doesn't have a career in computers.
Quote by mfinnan101

it's not only easier it's better for development.

instead of having a few beta testers (ok so there'll be more than a few) who are experienced with computers, by releasing it to the public you increase your testing team and it'll be comprised of average users. You get better results this way and it helps it develop the OS.

I don't have a problem with you not liking vista, it's the fact that you've bumped several threads just to make no real contribution and you seem to have bought into the whole anti vista propaganda. I've had it since August and since then I've had one problem with it. And that's a rare fault with a video card driver.

The reason that some computers won't downgrade to vista is because they use new hardware which will have been designed to work on vista and later OS's so they don't make drivers for XP.

If you want an OS that uses very little resources go back to windows 95.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
can you not save up money for a copy of XP? cause that just seems logical
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL
well played sir, well played
If Canadia wasn't a real place then where would Canadians come from?

T_T
Quote by Skullbolt
can you not save up money for a copy of XP? cause that just seems logical

The hardware on his computer might only work with Vista.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
The hardware on his computer might only work with Vista.

that's the reason i dislike hardware >.<
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL
well played sir, well played
If Canadia wasn't a real place then where would Canadians come from?

T_T
Oh, please! Like preaching Vista is any better than demonizing it.

@OP: Formatting is quite easy. You can do it with any Windows XP CD in the screen where it asks you to select a hard drive to install to. You might also want use/learn about partitions. That way you won't have to backup all your data when you choose to reinstall your os in the future.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

If you want an OS that uses very little resources go back to windows 95.

Linux is what you want there. I'd have switched a long time ago if it weren't for the application support.
It's true that Beta testing is limited. However rushing something as complex as an OS out before it's ready is a disaster.
The same thing was true of XP when it first came out, although since SP 2 it's been perfectly stable. Maybe the same thing will be true of Vista.
The only possible reason I can see to switch to it is DirectX 10. However that's still in early days and the benefits won't be seen for a long time. (Look at Crysis)
One thing that would work to improve Vista is to strip down the installation stopping just short of basic functionality, the end result would be an Operating System no better than XP with DirectX 10 support. This is what I've always done when installing a new Operating System.
Regarding the whole Vista/XP hardware only thing, it is possible force the driver to install.
Page 1 of 2