Recently I've been drooling over the fact that the Eminence Super V speakers are available to the public as a replacement speaker. I've also been drooling over getting a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. So...

I was looking at the description for the Randall Lynch Box speaker cab and it said it was rated at 300 watts, but the speakers in it are rated at 150 watts EACH. So I was wondering, is there a certain way that you wire speakers that causes them to be rated at half their wattage? I remember hearing something about it a while back, and it had something to do with the impedance of the speaker, but I don't remember all the details.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Well, another thing that made me think about this was: In a description for the Fender Dynatouch 1000, it mentions that the amp itself is 160 watts, but it's speaker is only 100 watts (Celestion G12-100), and that the 8 ohm wiring makes it capable of handling that wattage. If you're wondering where I saw it, it was in an AMS catologue.
So...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Never heard of being able to change the max wattage rating of a speaker. If you figure it out theres alot of car stereo guys who will want to know how. Only info I could find on a 160 watt dynatouch said it had 2 8 ohm speakers wired to 4 ohms, 2 100 watt speakers can take 160 watts easy. But 160 into a single 100 watt equals blown speaker.
Quote by Tackleberry
Never heard of being able to change the max wattage rating of a speaker. If you figure it out theres alot of car stereo guys who will want to know how. Only info I could find on a 160 watt dynatouch said it had 2 8 ohm speakers wired to 4 ohms, 2 100 watt speakers can take 160 watts easy. But 160 into a single 100 watt equals blown speaker.

Not always. Not every amp puts out its full wattage at low volumes.

Some amplifiers are designed to put out different power levels at different impedances. Bass amplifiers are a GREAT example of this.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Yea but thats not what hes asking. Hes asking how to change the power handling of a speaker. He asked how a cab could be rated at 300 watts if the speakers are 150 each. Simple math 2 150 watt speakers can handle 300 watts. But have never heard of a way to rewire a speaker to make say a 100 watt speaker handle 200 watts. Less watts or more speakers to share the load.
Quote by Tackleberry
Yea but thats not what hes asking. Hes asking how to change the power handling of a speaker. He asked how a cab could be rated at 300 watts if the speakers are 150 each. Simple math 2 150 watt speakers can handle 300 watts. But have never heard of a way to rewire a speaker to make say a 100 watt speaker handle 200 watts. Less watts or more speakers to share the load.

But you see.. it's a 4x12 cab the speakers are in (the Randall Lynch Box 4x12), so it should be rated at 600 watts, not 300.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
But you see.. it's a 4x12 cab the speakers are in (the Randall Lynch Box 4x12), so it should be rated at 600 watts, not 300.
No.

It should be rated at 300 watts. 4 x 75 = 300

Take the link, scroll down to George Lynch Siganute MTS head/preamps/cab
Second entry: RS412LB
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/catalog/Randall%20Price%20List%202007.pdf

/thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No.

It should be rated at 300 watts. 4 x 75 = 300

Take the link, scroll down to George Lynch Siganute MTS head/preamps/cab
Second entry: RS412LB
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/catalog/Randall%20Price%20List%202007.pdf

/thread.

Oooooh......
Eminence only shows the 150 watt model on their site =/
http://www.eminence.com/guitar.asp?speaker_size=12
I guess that's what got me confused. So... do you think they'll release the 75watt model as a separate replacement part, or do you think it will only be available in those cabs?

Stupid name.