I think my parents are willing to get me an amp for my birthday, which is coming up. I've been looking around and still haven't been able to find an amp that satisfies me (for the price).

I thought I needed a high gain amp, but in reality I don't think that's the tone I'm looking for. I want an amp that has a solid classic metal tone, with the heaviest tone I'd need probably being Pantera-ish. Good cleans are a plus. I don't know about the budget, but $700 would be pushing it, $800 would really be pushing it. I'd prefer a combo so I can take it out without headaches, and tube because we all know that's where it's at. I've been looking at Carvin amps, specifically MTS and X combos. Can those handle the kind of distortion I need?

So go go go
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
A Peavey Classic 50 with a good overdrive would probably do it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Peavey valveking 212. Great amp for what your looking for. Combo tube amp well within your budget.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

if you get the valveking then get a distortion pedal. the valvekings distortion isnt that spectacular but with a pedal its awesome.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Quote by stradivari310
A Peavey Classic 50 with a good overdrive would probably do it.

Classic 50's definitely too light. My bandmate has one, and I played it. I don't really want to have to use an OD to get appropriate tones.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by tzmen23
if you get the valveking then get a distortion pedal. the valvekings distortion isnt that spectacular but with a pedal its awesome.

No. Don't get a distortion pedal. Get a bad monkey and use it to push the built in distortion. Works better. Bad monkeys only 40$ i think.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

A lot of people dont know about Fender's "The Twin". And by the name you should automatically think Twin reverb or what not. But dont, i was looking for a good amp to play everything from Dire Straights to pure metal. The distortion channel was more than anything id ever expect out of a fender(we all know they dont do dist.). And combined with any type of dist/fuzz/overdrive pedal this thing will really kick out the gain. In addition you also get that classic fender clean channel. currently i run it with a Big Muff pedal and a Zoom g2.1u though i dont need either to get a great sound from it.
EDIT: youll probably have to find it used, they havent been made since 94' (i think)
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
I'm not really looking to have to buy any pedals, just so you guys know. If I really have to, I can use my EQ as a boost, but...

Does anybody have opinions on those two Carvins?
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Lamrick21
A lot of people dont know about Fender's "The Twin". And by the name you should automatically think Twin reverb or what not. But dont, i was looking for a good amp to play everything from Dire Straights to pure metal. The distortion channel was more than anything id ever expect out of a fender(we all know they dont do dist.). And combined with any type of dist/fuzz/overdrive pedal this thing will really kick out the gain. In addition you also get that classic fender clean channel. currently i run it with a Big Muff pedal and a Zoom g2.1u though i dont need either to get a great sound from it.
EDIT: youll probably have to find it used, they havent been made since 94' (i think)

Do you mean the 'Evil Twin' or 'The Twin' because 'The Twin' doesn't have as much gain as you make it out to have. My friend has one and it's pretty bloody loud but it doesn't have enough gain to do metal at all.

He'd be better off with a Fender Super-Sonic but even still, you can get better.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.