So I've compiled all of the specs of what I want in a new guitar, and need some ideas of which guitars can fit in the range to try out

It must have:
Mahogany body
At least 22 frets
Alnico V humbucker in neck, ceramic in bridge (these can be put in)
Hardtail

It must not:
Be over $1800
Extremely heavy
Have an extremely thick neck (nor thin, I want somewhere in the middle)

I play anything from softer pop-rock to metal.

(keep in mind I AM going to try before I buy, this is just to get an idea of what I should be trying )

Thanks for the input!
Try an Ibanez Artcore. Trust me on this.. I play from very light to very heavy music. Since it's semi-hollow it isn't heavy, and it's WAY under your price range. You could get new pickups if you like (I recommend Rock Monkey pickups.. they're custom wound) and a new amp as well.

I swear by my AS73/Classic 50 combo, because IMO it's the best combination of versatility and simplicity. Look into it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I'm planning on getting an Orange AD30, so amp is kinda decided on

I planned on trying a few Ibanez's, but was afraid that they may be too hot for the softer stuff... but I will definitely take this into consideration!
im not even a huge fan of ibanez's stuff but the Artcores are really nice guitars. They feel and sound really good
PRS, if you can deal with the wide neck.

try one out.
SRV R.I.P.
Quote by ERA
I'm planning on getting an Orange AD30, so amp is kinda decided on

I planned on trying a few Ibanez's, but was afraid that they may be too hot for the softer stuff... but I will definitely take this into consideration!

Trust me, with a set of medium-output pickups it will work well. The stock pickups are actually very nice. I would say that the guitar is pretty close to an ES-335 without the price tag

EDIT: And very very nice pick for the amp. Oranges are amazing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Schecter C-1+
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I personally think that the Gretsch's hollow(or solid) blow the artcore's away.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by andy331
get a gibson les paul....

I was thinking of getting the studio and putting some alnico 5s and ceramics in it... or an sg.

Schecter's are also on my list.

Which pickups would you guys recommend?
SG's have thin necks, I was gonna say an SG, but you said you wanted a medium kinda neck. i guess they aren't as thin and flat as an Ibanez Rg or sommit.

I think an SG would be a good decision, personally. or if you were to veer towards the metal side, maybe an Explorer.
Quote by ERA
I was thinking of getting the studio and putting some alnico 5s and ceramics in it... or an sg.

Schecter's are also on my list.

Which pickups would you guys recommend?

I think I already mentioned rock monkey pickups. Go to rockmonkeyguitars.com and look at the selection. The pickups are made by CorduroyEW, who is a member on UG who will give you a discount. They're hand-wound and honestly I don't know any better pickups for the price.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣