I have a few ideas for a song. A few ruffs and an idea for (part of) a solo.

What scales/chords would work well with a rock/pop punk/metal influenced song?

I know pop punk and metal is quite a big jump though lol. I was thinking harmonic minor, pentatonic and major scales. Power chords and possibly drop tuning or something. What else? What other chords would work? Other scales?

I also want to have at least a semi interesting bass line. Any tips? I dont play bass so im clueless.

Pop punk=Simple melody over any of these chords I-IV-V, Keep it diatonic (as in use the major scale exclusively)
Metal=Either you play pop punk with E chugging/faster powerchord thrashing or...

Damn, I really cant explain progressive metal in one sentence. Just thrash powerchords, I'll write something on progressive metal in the morning.

EDIT: btw, im a fan of most kinds of metal/punk, I wouldn't bag it. It's just how its written.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Apr 19, 2008,
Pop punk=Simple melody over any of these chords I-IV-V, Keep it diatonic (as in use the major scale exclusively)
Pretty sure they also use minor keys, and using 4 chords is common. like I IV V vi
At least thats what I hear in the pop-punk I listen to.

Metal=Either you play pop punk with E chugging/faster powerchord thrashing or...

Damn, I really cant explain progressive metal in one sentence
Did you just say that all metal other than prog metal is just a lower/faster version of pop-punk?

EDIT: To answer the threadstarter, I would say that the pentatonic scale is a good choice, however, when you are writing out your melodies you may find you need to use the major/minor scales.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Apr 19, 2008,