i used to think that cranking amps rly didnt do anything except hurt your ears, but i just finished playing with my amp at half volume (which is pretty freaking loud for a 150watt 212 amp), but man, it sounded so much better than at low volume, and i rly like my amp even when it is quieter. I might get flamed and called a nub because the amp i play on is a spider III, but idk, i felt like posting this because it sounded really good to me.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
...If you ever play it above 1/2 volume the sound quality will deteriorate a lot.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
it doesn't sound good cranked because it's a crappy, solid state spider.

tube amps saturate at high volumes, hence a heavenly cranked tone.

never post here again
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
with solid state, cranking it makes no difference really. its with valves that you hear the difference more.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
It's kinda hard for me to believe that since I've never cranked a tube amp
Some day..Some day.
*flames spider* jk
yeah amps are better louder, but just fyi thats mostly for tube amps

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by lazlow325i
it doesn't sound good cranked because it's a crappy, solid state spider.

tube amps saturate at high volumes, hence a heavenly cranked tone.

never post here again

Way to be an arse.

I'm sure you were as clueless as the TS at one point, so getting all high and mighty seems rather pointless no?
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Shred Head
You cranked a Spider and it sounded better? You sir, are tone-deaf

lol that may be, but it sounded fine to me.

i had always heard that on spiders the sound deteriorated as soon as you turned the volume up, and i found that to be true on my friend's spider II. however, as i cranked my spider III, the sound became crisper, and i could hear the individual notes a lot clear.

i had also always heard that the high volume on a solid state does nothing, which i also found to be very not true.

whether you think im stupid or not. it happened, it sounded good, i love, and i expressed my love. after that i dont care.

figured ppl would like to have a good flame anyway
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I crank my Blue Jr. all the time whenever my parents are gone. Sounds awesome. Cranking a Marshall MG? You get mud. And that's it.

I can get killer blues tones from it, of course, and I like a little bit of crunch in the cleans sometimes. The distortion is also much better when cranked. It's much fuller, especially with the neck pickup.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
All amps will sound to a degree better louder as the speakers move more air and we can hear frequencies better at higher volumes, so that explains perfectly why it would sound better than dead quiet.

But try cranking a tube amp and see what that does for you.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by E V H 5150

I can get killer blues tones from it, of course, and I like a little bit of crunch in the cleans sometimes. The distortion is also much better when cranked. It's much fuller, especially with the neck pickup.

thats exactly how my amp worked. granted, not as well most likely, but that is the general pattern it followed.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Apr 19, 2008,
When you crank a tube amp up into overdrive range, the signal begins to clip, but due to the awesome electromechanical nature of vacuum tubes, the clipping is rounded and softened. Transistors and opamps and the like produce a square clip if they are being over saturated, producing something hideous that is nothing like a tube clipping.

I go with the only explainable fact that your speakers were finally able to work at a higher volume.
Yeah you'll get some better definition from the speakers when its louder even on a ss amp.

But tube amps are a whole different story, its funny cause my palomino sounds like poop at low volume, but just plain amazing when you get the power tubes going. Tho my triple xxx always sounds good since its got good preamp distortion, and just keeps getting better as you turn it up.
as you turn up an amp your perception of frequencies will change though, due to the nature of your ears. this isnt power amp distorsion but you would have started hearing more bass and treble I think.
Quote by MrCarrot
All amps will sound to a degree better louder as the speakers move more air and we can hear frequencies better at higher volumes, so that explains perfectly why it would sound better than dead quiet.

But try cranking a tube amp and see what that does for you.

+1

This goes for hifi's and such too.
yeah its because of the speakers. which also sound much better cranked.

that said

imagine a tube amp now :P
i have a 'white guitar'
i would say that even solid state amps do sound better louder simply for the fact that everything sounds better louder; the volume gives the sound more dimension. people who say that solid state amps are worse at higher volumes are just plain wrong.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
^i think they're referring to modelers where the simulated distortion isn't as tight. and no matter how well the speakers are doing, they can't compensate for that.
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i would say that even solid state amps do sound better louder simply for the fact that everything sounds better louder; the volume gives the sound more dimension. people who say that solid state amps are worse at higher volumes are just plain wrong.

They are talking about turning it up so high that it starts clipping. Which sounds quite terrible.