Ive been messing around with my guitar doing some heavy riffs that sound awesome but i was wondering(since im a newb with music theory)which scales should i use to get like a dark feel,ive heard sum such as melodic minor n stuff but r there any others?
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
have a go with phrygian, locrian, and harmonic minor
and good old natural minor
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
i like the harmonic minor
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
i saw a michael romeo clip where he showed some of the scales he uses...diminished scale
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by chimpinatux
have a go with phrygian, locrian, and harmonic minor
and good old natural minor
Those are modes not scales. Scales are just a group of notes. Modes are a list of intervals that correspond with a tonal center
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i saw a michael romeo clip where he showed some of the scales he uses...diminished scale
Anything diminished just means it has a diminished fifth.
Quote by brooklynsoulja1
Ive been messing around with my guitar doing some heavy riffs that sound awesome but i was wondering(since im a newb with music theory)which scales should i use to get like a dark feel,ive heard sum such as melodic minor n stuff but r there any others?

Melodic minor isn't usually seen as being "dark (although, if you were clever...)."
Call me Batman.
Learn intervals and usage of scales, it dosent matter what scales you're using, it matters how.
So when I saw this as the latest thread under Musician Talk on the main forum page, I could only see the words "Best Heavy,Dark,and Metal...". Before opening the Musician Talk page, I said to myself: "If the next word is scale I'm going to bash my head into a wall". Sure enough... My head hurts.
you can make plenty of scales/modes sound 'dark' depending on how you use them. ive heard natural minor sound pretty foreign before.

throw in some chromatic stuff too.

try harmonic minor, phrygian dominant, some exotic scales, etc.

but making music sound 'dark' and 'heavy' isnt only about what scale youre using, as i said natural minor can sound pretty crazy, it can also sound very melodic and sweet, just depending on interval choices, rhythm, tempo, and such.
Opeth can make Major scale and Major chords sound like Satan burning a stillborn child. It all depends on your phrasing.
gah! avedas, satanism is not about killing babies and microwaving them or sacrificing them dammit...

anyways i like to use harmonic minor....
mode-wise i use locrian

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Since it's pretty popular around MT lately - super locrian. It's more locrian than locrian.

Anything diminished just means it has a diminished fifth
I thought a diminished mode has 1 b3 b5 bb7. Locrian is half-diminished because it has a b5 and b3, but not a bb7.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by metallicafan616
gah! avedas, satanism is not about killing babies and microwaving them or sacrificing them dammit...

You're absolutely right. It's existentialism for retards.

Prime:

Yeah, Locrian is the half-diminished mode. You got that right. However, diminished generally means b5. There's not always a seventh. There may be some exceptions I'm not aware of, but as far as I know, b5 = diminished. Always. I also think if you have that b5 you assume it is full diminished and not half diminished, because there is no seventh.

Someone please correct me if I missed something.