I've been playing for two years, and I'd like to get into jazz guitar.

I've literally browsed hundreds of sites. There seem to be two approaches to learning:

1. "Look at these tabs... then play them" - This doesn't work for me. I spend an hour learning one lick. But, when I get the next lick, I don't feel any better. After about a week, I forget the licks and gain nothing from them.

2. "This is an D Dorian scale. These are the notes in the scale." - This doesn't work for me either. I am able to learn all the theory, but I can't apply it to playing the guitar.

A guitar teacher is an option, but it's way too expensive where I live. Anyone have any advice? Any good websites or books I should check out?
The best thing would be a teacher for jazz. You basically must be a master of the instrument to play it correctly. Like knowing how to form as many chords as possible all over the neck. What it is is classical theory applied to blues based music. Gotta learn theory.
Listen to Jazz music and get a feel of what you want to play.

Find a song, look at the tab and play it. Then try and improvise while your playing. Listen to enough Jazz songs where you can sort of understand where there going. Look at ALOT of tabs and then try and improvise, throw in a 5 second solo midway through the song that sounds good. Make sure your tone is rythmic and just try to let the music flow without thinkign to much about it.
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
hmm im interested in starting learning jazz too....better head off to the relevant artist forum unless anyone wants to offer some suggestions on stuff to listen to?
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
First question to answer is how much jazz do you listen to?And that's "listen to", as oppose to "have heard". Spend a good few months just listening and getting to know different artists and different styles.

If the answer is "not much" then you need to start listening to a lot more - you're not going to be able to learn any genre unless you already pretty familiar with it....arguably "jazz" is such an all-encompassing field that calling it something specific as a genre is a trememndous understatement.

Second question is "how's your theory knowledge", jazz is heavily dependent on your understandng of melody and harmony and how to weave in and out of chords...if you don't have a lot of theory knowledge then you need to get some under your belt before attempting jazz.

If you've just decided "I want to learn jazz" then it's simply not going to happen.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ohh one more suggestion, learn some R&B ( something like B.B. King, Eric Clapton etc..) they have some jazzy sounds to many of there songs but are a little easier than pure Jazz. But learn, practice, and you should be able to succeed if you put your mind to it
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
I agree with steven seagull, jazz is a very broad "genre". If you don't want to/can't get yourself a teacher, I can recommend learning a few standards to begin with, like Autumn Leaves.