Is it easier to play the violin or the guitar if you have short fingers.?
I sometimes have trouble with chords like this. I could reach them but they are pretty hard to press down on and my wrist hurts. I'm guessing that it is easier to play a violin because it is smaller? -_-
---l-x-l---l---l---l
---l-x-l---l---l---l
---l---l---l-x-l---l
---l---l---l---l---l
---l---l---l---l---l
---l---l---l---l---l
Before you laugh at me try the chord and tell me if it hurts. =P
alot of guitarists have short fingers

the learning curve may take longer on guitar but choose wat u want.
and that chord is a standard powerchord, its used everywhere.
uhhh that chord doesnt make sense (mayb im viewing it wrong) you have two fingers on the same string...
Well, no. The violin family are the most difficult instruments to learn. Just get a skinny neck guitar.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
you'll be able to stretch your fingers more eventually, violin is considerably more difficult when starting out.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I've played both, and yeh, I reckon violin would be easier for you :]

ED -- Eh, violins don't have frets, so that might be alittle hard for you. There's lots of pros and cons really.
♥xx♥

well come on, a violin or guitar, choice is obvious, ones gonna get you laid, the other....uh not so much

unless of course u learn the epic Devil Went Down To Georgia
Quote by nt1440
well come on, a violin or guitar, choice is obvious, ones gonna get you laid, the other....uh not so much

Your an idiot. Playing guitar/violin is not about getting laid...
if youre allready a guitarist violin is all classy and nice, then you pick one up and this happens....

OH DEAR GOD THERES NO FRETS?!!!?!?!

you'll naturally develop flexibility in your fingers maybe try a short scale guitar in the meantime? or a fender jag/mustang, theyre supposed to be easy on the fingers.

or lower your action?

EDIT: with that chord, hit the first AND second strings with your index finger, and the third string with your ring finger
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Apr 19, 2008,
violin
is just the first four strings of the guitar strung upside down

so instead of EADG

its

GDAE
i can play it and ive never really learned
same thing with a mandolin Cept more strings
Quote by DeadlyShuriken
I bar it but its still a little difficult .

just keep on practising regulary ( there are a lot of columns on that topic) and you're gonna be doing fine.

and as nt1440 said "a violin or guitar, choice is obvious, ones gonna get you laid, the other....uh not so much". Of course this is not always the case but he wouldn't be writing it for no reason
violins IMO are harder to learn for the simple reason that they're smaller, and you have to put your hands in more precise positions.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by nt1440

But that's not true at all, is it?

Violin = cooler than guitar.

I get more respect and interest over playing violin than guitar.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Practice and you will be able to play it without pain at all
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by nt1440

Quote by DeadlyShuriken
thanks nt1440 but I'm a girl. =P

Hell I'd bang any chick who could play the Devil Went Down to Georgia.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
im korean, i was forced to play violin as a kid.
i love guitar but i wish i didnt quit the violin, beautiful instrument.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Well, Violin is significantly harder. Could try a les paul jr or some other short scale model which will make things easier for small hands.
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Quote by RatmN'Roses
im korean, i was forced to play violin as a kid.
i love guitar but i wish i didnt quit the violin, beautiful instrument.

i got pushed into violin lessons too, but since i had little interest in classical music, after a good 4 years i didnt accomplish anything earthshattering.

i picked up guitar myself, and because i love guitar music, i have a desire to succeed at it, and in about 3 years, i've progressed to what i fee is quite a good level

^LP juniour is a full scale, just with less bells and whistles than a standard
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by DeadlyShuriken
thanks nt1440 but I'm a girl. =P

Girls like getting laid just as much as guys. Its just a lot easier for them.

Thats not a hard chord, really. I can give you several that are far more difficult. Just practice and like has been said, get something with a thinner neck if you're worried about being able to reach.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Seriously dude you just have to do it, and do it , and do it... hey i was lazy and just didnt work on bar chords when I started, then suddenly I managed. Being able to play is good but learning is the best part.

Just work you're ****ing socks off, I mean I went from not being able to play a simple G chord to play an arpeggio with my fingers covering 5 frets ( like in police songs ) and i'm a long way from being the best guitarist here.

It doesn't matter how well you play as long as you're happy playing
Last edited by Eddie's'Waitor at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

^LP juniour is a full scale, just with less bells and whistles than a standard

You're right, I was on crack
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Well I practice both on a very serious level, and in terms of pure instrumental techniques, I think violin is harder, no contest.

On top of the fingerboard postures and positions to hone, there's another complete separate field of study for bowing. Both must be studied extensively just to achieve one decent note, while even a first-timer on guitar can press down on a fret and pluck a note with ease. Then of course, there's years and years of work on tone and expression, which is a lot more scrutinized in classical violin music than it is in other styles.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
ok ppl, chill out, i guess if i was better known around these parts youd all realize that was sarcasm, other than the devil went down to georgia part (the original not the ****ty GH one)

i say play any instrument you want because it will make you a better musician, myself i hope to learn to play piano at least medicorely in my life time as well as guitar.

getting laid should not be a reason to do anything in life (other than getting laid)
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
if youre allready a guitarist violin is all classy and nice, then you pick one up and this happens....

OH DEAR GOD THERES NO FRETS?!!!?!?!

you'll naturally develop flexibility in your fingers maybe try a short scale guitar in the meantime? or a fender jag/mustang, theyre supposed to be easy on the fingers.

or lower your action?

EDIT: with that chord, hit the first AND second strings with your index finger, and the third string with your ring finger

When i bar it no sound comes from the first two strings because I can't hold down right.
i say stick with guitar. if just fretting a couple notes on guitar is hard for you then playing violin will be a complete bitc* (i'm trying to learn violin now after playing guitar for 3 1/2 years and counting)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
It'll come with time

Everyone feels like their fingers are too short sometimes (Well, except Robert Johnson maybe ).

And both instruments are cool. Whichever you want to play the most I guess- you'll be able to learn either if you work at it, just go with whichever one makes you want to work for it
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
I have short fingers... suck it up and practise: learn to use ure pinkie more, i did and now its easy: also it gives those of us with short hands more range: and also it looks way cooler
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..