taught myself.
then when i couldn't figure any more out i started looking around the internet, and ended up here
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Me, well i just bought a little book from walmart that taught me how to read tabs, and i just learned everything from tabs really... no lessons whatsoever.

and i wouldn't say i'm really good, but i know my way around a guitar pretty well.
O O

___
I took a few lessons, then taught myself, but im taking lessons again.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
My mom taught me 4 chords and I taught myself everything else from there. I often studied other musicians.
I both teach myself and get guitar lessons.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
Quote by Platinum Pro
learn't my basic cords from my uncle then my power cords from my cousin...and from then on i self taught myself

You taught yourself how to play; you didn't self teach yourself.
Learnt from a friend how to read tabs and then started learning songs. I've been taking lessons but those tend to focus mainly on theory.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
i tried teaching myself and then i quit because it was too hard and i didnt know what tabs were, lol.

i ran into this site and i just started learning different songs and just learning about everything here, im very thankful of this site. thank you UG!!
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by Platinum Pro
i said i taught myself from then on after i learn't my basic cords and my power cords

I know what you said, you just didn't phrase it correctly.
I sold my soul like Robert Johnson, but unlike him I told the devil that I wanted to be AMAZING at guitar. lol
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
I took maybe one or 2 lessons when I first started, but they didn't really help me. So I learned a bunch of stuff, then my uncle taught me some stuff about playing blues guitar, then I took it from there.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Started learning chords from my dad. Bought a Fender instructional DVD, and just worked on chords to improve speed. I taught myself to read tabs (thanks UG) but never signed up or even checked out the forums until recently. Then I got a teacher who showed me plenty and got me a scale book, and well... here I am.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
my stepgrandfather taught me a little when was little, I Quit, i found my dads old electric 2 years later, found a book, started, got decent, got lessons, learned
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
It went like this...

Dad taught me Smoke on the Water

Took lessons for a couple weeks

Friends starting playing guitar

Learned how to do tabs

Months later... I found a new hobby that I do constantly.

100 some tabs later and I'm I've got almost full songs of my own.
I used to take lessons like 5 years ago, when I wasn't passionate about playing but then I quit, Started playing again now recently, I use the internet for all my knowledge etc, so cheers UG (Y) lol.
Your friendship is a fog, that disappears when the wind re-directs (YEAH!)
Well, I got a guitar, I knew 3 chords from watching my mom play, I learned to read tabs. Then a year later, I found out about Mr. Justin Sandercoe. If I want to learn something, I try and find it on the internet. And that's where I am. I don't/can't take lessons because I also have lack of money >.>
Do you like Bagpipes?

Good for you

Quote by postmortem2006
Perfect metal stereotype;

If you have long hair, apparently your music goes RAGHHHHHRAGHRARGHRARGHHHHHHH.

Self taught. Watched other guitarists, learned the chords, and just messed around on the guitar until i found something that sounded good.
Not the best way since i dont know much on theory or extensive knowledge on scales
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Taught myself... friend helped out with a few techniques. I'm still pretty bad because I don't have much time to practice (15-30 minutes a day, and not every day) due to my course load. But I can play a few songs all the way through, minus the solos (ex: Keep Away by Godsmack, Vicarious by Tool, some others)
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
i learned how to read tabs and played a few tabs then i quit until school started back up. Signed up for the guitar class at school and learned many chords. The people in there would be shredding and i looked stupid playing smoke on the water so that motivated me to play more often. A year later now and i play constantly
Well I learned a few easy songs, then torrented tons of instructional books, worked thru them which helped tons, now Im back to learning songs.