Page 1 of 2
ESP LTD FM-408

It looks kind of cool, but does anyone else think this is kind of too much?

What are your thoughts on this guitar???
O O

___
Everything but the wood is teh br00talz.

On a more serious note, I think 8 strings is overkill, 7 is good but 8 is too much.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Most metal guitar ever. Period.
it looks cool, idk how you would play it
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Go for it. Thats 2 strings more then you had before, :P
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
How could a wider range of notes be overkill? I've never looked at a piano and said "Damn!!! do we really need all these keys?" If I had the cash I'd totaly get one...
Quote by -GuitarHero-
Go for it. Thats 2 strings more then you had before, :P

oh no...i'm not buying it, i'd have to think about even getting a 7 string if i wanted to.

I'm getting an ESP Eclipse II, good ol' 6 string. Dang... now it feels puny to say i have a 6 string.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by david_highland
How could a wider range of notes be overkill? I've never looked at a piano and said "Damn!!! do we really need all these keys?" If I had the cash I'd totaly get one...
Well that's because guitars and pianos are different instruments, you usually play both "bass and lead/rhythm" on a piano but a guitar is meant only for lead/rhythm.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Quote by DSOTM80
Great another moron with 8 strings just chugging on the lowest 2

You obviously did not watched the video.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

Quote by DSOTM80
Great another moron with 8 strings just chugging on the lowest 2

It is not be in the video and I hope you weren't calling me a moron....cause I will call me dad.
Quote by The Minorthreat
It is not be in the video and I hope you weren't calling me a moron....cause I will call me dad.

I'm kidding thats why I did the smiley
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by cielmort
Well that's because guitars and pianos are different instruments, you usually play both "bass and lead/rhythm" on a piano but a guitar is meant only for lead/rhythm.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k Who cares what a guitar is "supposed to be" I care what a guitar is, and wether or not you're playing lead or rhythm, or both, higher/lower octaves is never a bad thing.
I think it sucks, sound more like a bass to me. And 90% of the people playing it will only use the 4 low strings anyway.
But cool if you can make good music with it and take advantage of the extra notes without sacrificing the others. Like that Don Maloney guy
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
They seem cool, but I don't like any that are on the market as of now. The ESP Stef Carpenter sigs are nice, but I don't really like the bridge or the pick-up alignment. The Ibanez one I like a lot, but I'm not a fan of basswood guitars, especially for 7's or 8's. If Ibanez were to get there **** together and make Meshuggah Signature guitars, I'd be on that in a second. Alder or Mahogany body, 30 inch scale length, lundgren pickups, my god. That'd be just amazing.
And on that ESP, the 25.5 inch scale length would not do that low F# justice, the intonation would be wack. I think that one is meant to have a high A if anything.
EDIT: Just read the standard tuning on the site. That would be floppy as hell.
Last edited by bowen at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by TheShred201
I'm considering the FM408, as the scale length makes it more suitable for a low B to high A tuning, which I desire more in an 8 string than a low F# to high E.

true, but if you buy an 8-string to play Meshuggah, go Blackmachine or something
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
the fact that a blackmachine 8 would cost about 5-6 thousand dollars and the fm408 costs 1 thousand kind of kills your argument--if you can afford a blackmachine, why would you be looking at ESP LTD's. If I could get a blackmachine I would. Though i don't want it to play meshuggah.
Quote by TheShred201
the fact that a blackmachine 8 would cost about 5-6 thousand dollars and the fm408 costs 1 thousand kind of kills your argument--if you can afford a blackmachine, why would you be looking at ESP LTD's. If I could get a blackmachine I would. Though i don't want it to play meshuggah.

well... I just picked a blackmachine because that was the only guitar brand I could think of atm which has extended scales. So if I say it like this instead "If you plan to play Meshuggah, look for an 8-string guitar with a longer scale than 25,5. preferably 27+"

mkay?
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I personally believe 8-string guitars to be a little overboard. 7-strings are understandable, but 8-string is just getting into the "let's get more strings on there!" syndrome that companies such as Ibanez and ESP are starting to get into these days.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
8, 9, 10, 11 strings... who cares if it looks cool or not? The only thing that matter is that you have purpose for those extra strings.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
^^^^Okay. I just thought it was a bit of a jump.
^^^Actually, 8 strings originated in jazz guitar playing. Companies have been starting to release them as certain influential bands and artists use them occasionally. People want to be what their favorite guitarist plays, and for some that means that they need 8 strings.
^^No one ever said they look cool. Although, I personally feel that they should only be purchased by people who have a true use for the extra strings.
8 is overkill (for my style, at least), 7 is great, and 6 is great.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i wouldn't go for an 8 string unless ur in a band and can make up ur own riffs, cuz ur not gonna find to many songs that use an 8 string to do covers or try riffs from or w/e. Also, id only go for it if u play grunge ir heavy, heavy metal, otherwise i really don't think ur gonna need 8 strings.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
I kind of want to try an 8 string, but on the other hand, you only have to tune down 2 steps on a 7 string to get the same effect. The only use for the 8th string is to keep your highs. Chances are, if you're playing that low, and you're not Rusty Cooley, you're probably not flying up and down the fretboard.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Dog454
Chances are, if you're playing that low, and you're not Rusty Cooley, you're probably not flying up and down the fretboard.

Exactly what i was going to say, but like others have said if you make use of them all in a musical fashion why not?

EDIT: Holy crap i sigged you.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
Quote by cielmort

So you're saying as guitarists we should be limited.

Niiiice

I want an 8 string bigtime.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
8 strings would be awesome to have.. my 7 is fun for tap songs left hand does bass lines, right hand does melody lines.

but another string! so much ROOM! hard to say if i'd tune it to F# tho..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Apr 20, 2008,
well i think it would make chording harder. so id never get one. but i guess if you are going to use a lot of power chords and soloing, i guess there's nothing wrong with it. plus i reckon the neck would be uncomfortable. but im more of a thumb over the top kind of player. so i guess in short, its not really my style but still kinda cool.
Page 1 of 2