I've found an old guitar that my brother owned, and It's in pretty bad condition.

What's wrong is that the whole pickguard is coming off. It's not ALL the way off, because the wires are still attached to the knobs. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can fix that by just screwing it back on, but if one of the wires it broken would a guitar shop be able to fix it?

I'll upload some pictures as soon as my brother gets home with the camera.
Yeah it should but it will cost you. Or unscrew the whole scratchplate and put it on gently.
Quote by mon_the_fraser
Yeah it should but it will cost you. Or unscrew the whole scratchplate and put it on gently.

How much do you think it'll cost?
Quote by Snych
How much do you think it'll cost?

If the shops where you are are like the ones around here, probably about a million times more than it should. I think this is a great oportunity to learn how to solder, it's a very handy skill to have if you play an electric guitar and once you've got it down a job like soldering a single wire back into place won't take you as long as it does to take off the pickguard, and you wont be missing your guitar for weeks, and it'll cost a fraction of what it would if you took it to a shop...I say, go to radio shack, or any establishment applicable, and get a soldering iron (about 30-40 watts) non-rosin core solder, a desoldering braid, and look instructions for soldering up on google or have someone show you...
Last edited by david_highland at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by david_highland
If the shops where you are are like the ones around here, probably about a million times more than it should. I think this is a great oportunity to learn how to solder, it's a very handy skill to have if you play an electric guitar and once you've got it down a job like soldering a single wire back into place won't take you as long as it does to take off the pickguard, and you wont be missing your guitar for weeks, and it'll cost a fraction of what it would if you took it to a shop...I say, go to radio shack, or any establishment applicable, and get a soldering iron (about 30-40 watts) non-rosin core solder, a desoldering braid, and look instructions for soldering up on google or have someone show you...

Thanks
Quote by david_highland

Y do u want non-rosin core solder?
Quote by therealtater
Y do u want non-rosin core solder?

**** if I know, I've heard to use different types of solder when doing work on a guitar but the only time I heard the reason for the use of a particular type of solder it was not to use rosin core cause the acid in it over a period of time would **** up solder joint and it'd have to be re-soldered eventualy...or something. I heard that and said "makes sence..." so now I tell people non-rosin core. It probably doesn't matter all that much though, if that little bit of info is true you probably wouldn't be resoldering it every other month or anything like that.