Right, before you say something, I'd just like to say that I've only been playing guitar for 3 months and I've been using these forums for only a week or so, so if I mess up on any guitar terms or where to post stuff, don't get all 1337 on me.

So, I've got an acoustic and I've been learning chords mainly, along with a few power tab songs. I find using chords (C, Am, B# etc.) much more rewarding, I don't know why, they just seem that bit more challenging than simple power chords. Anyway, I was going through some Nirvana songs and found this :

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/n/nirvana/polly_tab.htm

Above the power chord, it had the regular chord to use instead. Is there a full list of this anywhere, sort of a chord/power chord translator? As I said, I'm a noob on this forum so I didn't know where to post this, so I posted it in the forum I use to get help most (song suggestions, mainly).

Cheers for any help.
I made that mistake when i started guitar first as well. The letter above the powerchord is simple the name of the fifth chord being played, so,
---
---
---
-2-
-2-
-0-

Is an E5 chord, aka the E powerchord. The

---
---
---
-5-
-5-
-3-

is the G5 chord, aka the G powerchord.

Enjoy mate.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
power chords are in fact the main chord with a fifth.dont aske me what that is, i think take my word.
power chord G5 / regular Chord G
You mainly use power chords for quicker transition, a more rock sound etc, while on an acoustic it sounds better with full chords.
A fifth resemble more to a minor chord if that helps, but IT ISNT a minor.
Quote by CrushedCan
I made that mistake when i started guitar first as well. The letter above the powerchord is simple the name of the fifth chord being played, so,

Enjoy mate.

hey , we have the same avatar and answered in the same thread yeah.
i know im stupid but its funny.
power chords are in fact the main chord with a fifth

Poor description. You make it sound as if they are a major chord with an added fifth. Power chords contain only the root and fifth.

A fifth resemble more to a minor chord if that helps, but IT ISNT a minor.

Incorrect. Major chords, minor chords, suspended chords and diminished chords all contain the fifth. It in no way defines minor tonality. Minor chords contain the fifth but a flattened 3rd is what defines the chord as being minor.
Last edited by tom183 at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by tom183
Poor description. You make it sound as if they are a major chord with an added fifth. Power chords contain only the root and fifth.

Incorrect. Major chords, minor chords, suspended chords and diminished chords all contain the fifth. It in no way defines minor tonality. Minor chords contain the fifth but a flattened 3rd is what defines the chord as being minor.

This!
Also, some of you are getting confused between notes and chords.

A note can't be minor.