How do you make Chromatic licks sound good when there are so many accidentals? Every time I try to play something chromatic or out of the key I'm it it doesn't sound like anything but a mistake. When I jam and practice over a chord progression I do change keys with the chords instead of just shredding through the Tonic's scale, but how can I really play what ever I want? thanks
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
use chromatics to transition from one chord to another, like if the chord goes from D to E, play "A-5-6-7" or something. or if you are doing more shred-like stuff, you can use it the same way, but playing part of a chromatic scale really fast nd moving it up a fret or something. hopefully i explained that good enough lol. check out the song "decade of statues" by between the buried and me. at around 4:27 theres an aweosme lead with chromatics. it works because they arent really any chords under the riff, so you can do whatever you want kinda lol.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
use chromatics as passing notes in your lead stuff - it sounds good! do not stop on them though unless you want it sounding out of key. for example if you wanna go from D to E, quickly play Eb in between. to me it makes it seem kind of funky and less serious.
but how can I really play what ever I want?
A well trained ear and a solid understanding of music theory

Every time I try to play something chromatic or out of the key I'm it it doesn't sound like anything but a mistake
If you don't hear chromatics in your head, don't play them. It sounds like a mistake because you are forcing it.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums