Hi, Id like to have a bass to mess around and to see can i get into it..I recently just bought a fairly expensive electric guitar set up so i dont really plan on gettin anything expensive...I was just wondering whats the quality of these low end Bass and Amps are like..because some of the electric ones are fairly horrible..Any suggestions?
Damien Rice === Legend
The very nice people of the Bass Forum through advanced research have complied the FAQ above. There are some great suggestions in that thread for starters which will fit your needs nicely.
Quote by anarkee
The very nice people of the Bass Forum through advanced research have complied the FAQ above.
I still think the FAQ would benefit from advice from those of us that aren't "very nice"
The squier ones are actually pretty good. Nothing a pro would play, but you could get away with gigging it. (The bass, not the amp.) You'll need a bigger amp no matter what starter pack you get unless you just plan on practicing.

I say get them individually...you already have cords, straps, tuner, etc. from your guitar.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 19, 2008,
I would check the FAQ and buy the bass and amp seperately. Either way, they probably will sell you short in some way.
Il never touch Dean branded stuff from what i have heard about them.

Are any of these decent..

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewParametricSearch-SimpleOfferSearch?AttributeValue_1=&SearchCategoryUUID=F53VqHzlvFEAAAEVaBxWf70R&Manufacturer=ESP&firstSelection=1
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74397
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71408

Also is bass amps and stuff geared towards a specific genre as much as Guitars are? like ibanez for metal and Fender for funky stuff...I will play mainly pop indie stuff...
Damien Rice === Legend
Squire starter packs are pretty nice as far as cheap basses go.

From the LTD's guitars, I'd say their basses would be pretty good as well.
Dunno for sure though.
Quote by AA00P
Squire starter packs are pretty nice as far as cheap basses go.

From the LTD's guitars, I'd say their basses would be pretty good as well.
Dunno for sure though.

+(any long number goes here)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by guitarguy182
Also is bass amps and stuff geared towards a specific genre as much as Guitars are? like ibanez for metal and Fender for funky stuff...I will play mainly pop indie stuff...

Not so much with bass amps. Their are one or two brands that have that one specific tone i.e. Ampeg is used so much because they have great tones for rock, but not much else.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by pwrmax
Here's a Dean starter pack. You get what you pay for here.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Playmate-Bass-and-Amp-Pack-103944997-i1147588.gc

Dean is the one starter pack you shouldn't buy. Also dont get the t-bird starter pack.

Baoth squier and Ibanez have a good (considering what you pay) starter pack
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by smb
I still think the FAQ would benefit from advice from those of us that aren't "very nice"

Verbal irony doesn't translate very well on the internet damn.
Quote by anarkee
Verbal irony doesn't translate very well on the internet damn.

Curse the limitations of this medium! Damn the difficulty in expressing subtle humour while retaining meaning!
Well one thing that I think is important to mention is to NOT forget how much less used equipment can cost. I saw a Soundgear in my local music shop today for about $170. Checked it out, looked brand new. Played it, and yep, that baby was a Soundgear.

Any low-level Ibanez or Squier will probably do you good, though. Check the FAQs per Miss Mod's suggestion.

EDIT: I guess that would be Mrs. Mod, wouldn't it?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Of course they're better. The guitar starter packs contain a guitar.
STILL not quite sure exactly what an 'electric starter pack' consists of...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
STILL not quite sure exactly what an 'electric starter pack' consists of...

a plug, some wire, a few other bits and bobs
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The Washburn T14 Starter Pack is a great pack. It comes with a great bass and probably the best amp you'll ever find in a starter pack. They took it off of Musician's Friend...

Here's the T12 Starter Pack. The bass is one step down, but the amp and everything are still the same.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-T12Nemesis-N8-Bass-Pack?sku=515910
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
look toward ibanez for bang for buck at low prices. there are other good ones too but being as you're a guitar player the thinner ibanez neck will be a nice transition for you. And I highly recommend used gear for a budget. just don't go crate outside of their combos, and i still don't recommend their combos unless it's 15 watter or something of that sort, and also never buy anything behringer at all...ever!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu