Hey, not sure whats up with my amp. When i'm playing the sound will fade away, then in like 10-20secs fade back in. Does this sound like a tube problem?? I mean i've only had this amp for a little more than a month, could it possibly need new tubes already?

Thanks for the help in advance
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Sounds like a power tube dying, possibly a preamp though it's unlikely.

Did you buy it new? If so the tubes might still be under warranty and you should be able to get them replaced from Crate for free.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yea bought it new when guitar center had that sale in march. So it seems like a power tube??
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
That's awfully quick for a power tube to die, but that sounds like the problem to me. Was it a floor model?

I can run my amps full blast for upwards of 4 or 5 months before I need to replace my tubes. But, your Crate probably came with Sovteks, or some other kind of ****ty tube. In fact, I guarantee that's what it came with.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by diditfortehlulz
That's awfully quick for a power tube to die, but that sounds like the problem to me. Was it a floor model?

I can run my amps full blast for upwards of 4 or 5 months before I need to replace my tubes. But, your Crate probably came with Sovteks, or some other kind of ****ty tube. In fact, I guarantee that's what it came with.

I think it was a floor model as i did get the last one left. Guess i'll try to call up crate and see what they can do. I'll open it up to check it, but what should i look for in a dead power tube??
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Quote by flydude
I think it was a floor model as i did get the last one left. Guess i'll try to call up crate and see what they can do. I'll open it up to check it, but what should i look for in a dead power tube??

That's almost definitely the problem, then. Just old, worn out tubes.

You probably shouldn't even bother calling Crate. They really can't do anything for you. What I would do, is stick a JJ EL84 in the power amp, and a Tung Sol 12AX7 in the preamp. Not only will you hear a huge difference in tone once you've upgraded to better tubes, but your problems will be gone as well.

Usually with a dead power tube, check for the following things;

Take something that's non-conductive (like a pencil), turn your amp on, and tap the tubes. If they squeal when you tap them - they're bad, and they've gone microphonic.

Look for black scorch marks on the inside of the power tubes. Silver marks are okay, that's normal. But black scorch marks on the inside mean that the tube is dead.

And, like you described - if you all the sudden get a huge drop in volume while playing, it's almost ALWAYS a dead power tube.

If there's any more questions you have, feel free to ask! Hope I helped.
Now it's 1984
Quote by flydude

a floor model tube amp could easily have failing tubes. they usually come with a free longer warranty or something, so maybe get it returned.

power tube wise, the tube could be glowing more bright/dim than usual, and if you tap it with something noncunductive like a chopstick and you hear it out of your speaker. a microphonic tube isnt a great quality tube, and if the tube wasnt microphonic when it was new but is now that is a sign of a tube on its way to death.

edit: ^ and yeah, look for scorch marks as well.
Could also be a loose tube or one with a bent base making bad contact. Try that before replacing the tubes. I'm going through a similar thing now and it lacks the normal symptoms save the sound fade, but the one is a hair bent, which causes bad contact until it totally expands with heat and gets into the socket better.
checked em out, they look ok to me though, you are right though they are sovteks....
pics

sorry they're blurry i'm a very bad pic taker

The only thing i saw was one pin on the power tube was a bit bent
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Quote by flydude
checked em out, they look ok to me though, you are right though they are sovteks....
pics

sorry they're blurry i'm a very bad pic taker

The only thing i saw was one pin on the power tube was a bit bent

Hmmmm... They don't look like they're bad, but of all the Sovteks I've used, none of them have ever shown any signs of wear while I was using them. They always looked the same, for some reason. No label discoloration, no scorching, nothing.

Hell, it might even be the bent pin.

In any event - swap your tubes for a JJ EL84 and Tung-Sol 12AX7, and you'll be glad you did. They're so much more musical sounding than crappy Sovteks.
Now it's 1984
I got another question and didnt want to make a new thread. If i buy a matched pair of jj el84s, it'll come out cheaper, and my amp only uses one power tube, will this be ok?? And i can keep the other one for a spare? Also will replacing the tubes with the same type, just different brand, require the tubes to be biased? Or can i just pull the old ones and put the new ones in?
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
You'll eventually need to bias for better sound, but i don't you need too. Also biasing will make the tube life last longer, but like my C50 which have a fixed bias thing so i don't need to bias unless i am going to use a different type of tube!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by flydude
Hey, not sure whats up with my amp. When i'm playing the sound will fade away, then in like 10-20secs fade back in. Does this sound like a tube problem?? I mean i've only had this amp for a little more than a month, could it possibly need new tubes already?

Thanks for the help in advance

I have the V32 Palomino head, which I bought from Musician's Friend about a month ago. Brand new, not a floor model. It developed the same problem in about two weeks. Haven't fixed it yet, but I did upgrade the V1 tube. I reseated all the others in the process. Everything was fine for about 3 or 4 days, then it started again.

That is where I am at now. Let me know if you get a fix. I will do the same.
Thanks,

STretch
I got my V32H (Palomino) back from the shop. They said "loose connections" were the problem.

I haven't tested it out yet as I recently suffered and wrist injury that will keep me from playing for a couple more weeks. (Bummer ).

I will let you know if they really fixed it once I am back on my axe.
The V32 has been in the shop twice now for the same reason. No luck.
The biggest problem is getting it to reproduce the problem at the shop; mostly because the shop guy doesn't drive it with a guitar. He just runs the stereo through it.

I got it home now and it still has the same problem.
I changed all the tubes but still seems to be doing the same thing.
I tried a different guitar different cords, cleaned the tube sockets, everything I can think of.
It has some kind of intermittant problem.

I will give one more shot with a different repair guy.
If that doesn't work, I guess I am going to have to send it back.
Probably my first and last Crate.
Too bad. I really like the amp when it is not cutting out. I like its looks too.
Just a very late update on my fade-out issue.... In case someone else runs into the same problem.
I took the amp to two different repair shops and neither could fix it. It is now a good looking and oversized paper-weight.