I've had my Laney VH100R for about half a year now, and love it. However, recently (as I've become accustomed to valve tone, and my ear for good tone has improved), I've began noticing that I get this harsh ringing sound coming through on the high strings, especially during lead work. One of the most prominent effects of this is that notes to not 'blend' together during, say, unison bends. It makes solos sound crap, simply put.

I know that the Laney VH100R is renowned for being trebly, so I've lowered the treble, to no avail.

I'm using fairly new Elixer strings (less than a month old), so I don't think that is the problem.

I've got stock Ibanez pickups, so that may be the problem, but I don't recall getting this problem before.

And, I've tried this on my SS Fender amp, getting the same problem, but to a less extent.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Would a pickup change solve this problem (I was changing them anyway, not just to stop this)?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
sounds more like your guitar than your amp
wrong colour for the S470 though :P
mines Ice Blue
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
When you say guitar, do you mean pickups or electronics?
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I don't know about the higher end Ibanez pickups, but my brother has an RG321MH and te pickups are rubbish. Maybe look into a new set.
How loud are you playing it and what's your EQ set at?

It won't be the pickups, stock Ibby pickups are generally muddy rather than shrill.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
When you say guitar, do you mean pickups or electronics?

first of all the tuning? are you keeping it in standard? If not then the trem' system will need to be setup to handle the altered tuning, secondly if you've stuck to the same tuning, are the new strings the same make & gauge as the originals? If not they'll create too much or not enough tension on the bridge and therefore give you problems
Another thing could be the graphite nut, if you tighten it too hard then your strings will make grooves in the graphite and can slip whilst playing, to combat this you would have to purchase a new graphite nut.

hope that helped
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Thanks guys.

Yeah, i keep it in standard tuning, same gauge strings as it started with. I'll check the graphite nut too (although would this only lead to string slippage, not the shrill sound?).

My EQ settings are approx.
Treble - 5
Mids - 8
Bass - 6

Volume 1.5 -2
(unless there's nobody at home )

I'm getting it set up by a pro soon, so that should sort out any trem problems that there may be.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by im_atheist
first of all the tuning? are you keeping it in standard? If not then the trem' system will need to be setup to handle the altered tuning, secondly if you've stuck to the same tuning, are the new strings the same make & gauge as the originals? If not they'll create too much or not enough tension on the bridge and therefore give you problems
Another thing could be the graphite nut, if you tighten it too hard then your strings will make grooves in the graphite and can slip whilst playing, to combat this you would have to purchase a new graphite nut.

hope that helped

Now think to yourself, does that really have anything to do with the TS's problem?

What's your EQ set at? Maybe get an EQ pedal for finer teaking?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Those settings should be fine, unless you have the presence up too high. If you get the volume up past 3 the amp really starts to thicken out.

What kind of valves are you using?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Those settings should be fine, unless you have the presence up too high. If you get the volume up past 3 the amp really starts to thicken out.

What kind of valves are you using?

I keep the presence low usually.

But, the problems is not excessive treble, its a nasty ringing sound that comes through. It's hard to describe. If i play with the treble at 0, its still occurs, although is less pronounced.

As for valves, they are stock I believe (bought it used).
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Ah. If they're sovteks, get them out ASAP! I had some in my Laney when I bought it and they have a nasty ice picky sound to them, which would well be what you're experiencing.

My Music
Alright, thanks. I'll go check my tubes later.

Any tube recommendations? I mostly do high gain stuff, and I like my mids.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I'm using JJ's in my VC50, and they're very nice. They're dark valves so they even out the overly bright nature of the VH/VC very nicely. I'd definitely go JJ for your power tubes, I'm using the E34L's but you may want to look into the 6l6/6l6GC's if you're doing high gain stuff. Preamp tube wise, Tungsols are nice, or so I hear.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I'm using JJ's in my VC50, and they're very nice. They're dark valves so they even out the overly bright nature of the VH/VC very nicely. I'd definitely go JJ for your power tubes, I'm using the E34L's but you may want to look into the 6l6/6l6GC's if you're doing high gain stuff. Preamp tube wise, Tungsols are nice, or so I hear.

Thanks a lot! I'll check them out.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X