So very soon, I will be getting a Peavey Valveking 112. Its a 50w tube amp, and 50w tube can pack some serious volume. When the review for the Randall 3-module 100w head was on the front page, i read a comment that recommended taking out some power tubes to reduce the volume. I dont need all 50w at home. My question is would taking out a power tube, maybe 2, be safe for the amp and reduce the volume? I dont wanna try it out and have my amp blow on me after just a few hours.

Thx in advance.
I think the VK only runs on two power tubes. If that's the case, then no, you can't do it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
if you want a lower volume, you're gonna need a drastic decrease in wattage. If you want half the volume of a 100 watt, you're gonna need a 10 watt amp.

I'm pretty sure taking out a power tube only makes it so there's less power tubes you have to saturate, resulting in earlier breakup. Get an attenuator if you want tube saturation at lower volumes from that amp.
You can pull tubes to lower wattage, but I don't recommend it.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by slatsmania
I think the VK only runs on two power tubes. If that's the case, then no, you can't do it.

+1. the VK runs in push-pull, meaning you need two tubes, and since it's 50 watts, it only has two tubes.